Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realism argument for M134 Miniguns

Watch the following video M134 vs. M240 Comparison

This is exactly the reson why the blackhawk miniguns should have splash damage. As explained enough debrie is thrown up from the ground to suppress the target as well as the fact that the M134 has a 9:1 hit ratio in its advantage.

Re: Realism argument for M134 Miniguns

We know that it should have splash damage, but EA didnt count on the huge advantage it gives the users. I agree with you 100% that it should go back to how it used to be. Even than it wasnt as strong as it was in real life. They try to even the playing field...even though in real life America has much better weaponry than those that the MEC and PLA represent.

Comment

Originally posted by punisher18
      We know that it should have splash damage, but EA didnt count on the huge advantage it gives the users. I agree with you 100% that it should go back to how it used to be. Even than it wasnt as strong as it was in real life. They try to even the playing field...even though in real life America has much better weaponry than those that the MEC and PLA represent.
      Agreed. The changes made to BF2 should all actually be server side changed not global. This would allow greater flexibility in the way servers are run. Some of the global changes hurt the entire community in some way or another; however, if you implement the changes as optional it provides server owners with some sense of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
        Agreed. The changes made to BF2 should all actually be server side changed not global. This would allow greater flexibility in the way servers are run. Some of the global changes hurt the entire community in some way or another; however, if you implement the changes as optional it provides server owners with some sense of control.
        Exactly, that would be even better,

Comment

I think a slight nerf in the M134 may have been warranted, but they kind of went overboard. (DICE seem to excel at buffing/nerfing to epic proportions.) I think the M134 bullets should have little deviation (that is they fire more or less straight instead of all over the place like they used to and still are) and a small area of effect of splash damage. Then you could get kills with them but you would have to aim them.

On topic, is anyone familiar with Project Reality? They did a damn good job of making vehicle mounted machine guns deadly even when the vehicle is in motion. Can't say that for vanilla BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000sDigitalBoy
            I think a slight nerf in the M134 may have been warranted, but they kind of went overboard. (DICE seem to excel at buffing/nerfing to epic proportions.) I think the M134 bullets should have little deviation (that is they fire more or less straight instead of all over the place like they used to and still are) and a small area of effect of splash damage. Then you could get kills with them but you would have to aim them.

On topic, is anyone familiar with Project Reality? They did a damn good job of making vehicle mounted machine guns deadly even when the vehicle is in motion. Can't say that for vanilla BF2.
            yep... waiting for PRMM.03 i think it is.. cant wait.lol

Comment

Originally posted by 2000sDigitalBoy

what do u expect from a bunch of swedish guys. and i have not killed anyone from the BH since the nerf patch. thanks DICE.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Special.Pilot
                http://www.dillonaero.com/videos.html

Watch the following video M134 vs. M240 Comparison

This is exactly the reson why the blackhawk miniguns should have splash damage. As explained enough debrie is thrown up from the ground to suppress the target as well ath the fact that the M134 has a 9:1 hit ratio in its advantage.
                following your realism argument, tank rounds should either do more damage to armor (as SABOT) or more splash (as HE)

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                  what do u expect from a bunch of swedish guys. and i have not killed anyone from the BH since the nerf patch. thanks DICE.
                  SAME HERE!!! Im P O'd about that. I have yet to kill a soul in a Blackhawk since they killed it, you basically have to be sitting still and hope your target stays still:laugh:

Comment

I'm still thinking the best way to balance the Blackhawk vs the Skycow would be to mount the Cow with something like this:

That's a fully auto grenade launcher. An American version, but there's Russian built ones out there too (I'm just too lazy to dig deeper for pics ATM).

For game balance, I'd have the weapon overheat fairly quickly. Like maybe 6 to 8 shots before needing a cooldown. The idea is that it would compansate for how hard it is to hit anything from a moving chopper with the abillity to spam the crap outta areas. It would have limited range compaired to the M134, but would cause hell when hovering over a target position.

Whatcha think?

Comment

I think its great, but will it happen? That would be awesome for the "Skycow"

Comment

Originally posted by deadman2312
                        I think its great, but will it happen? That would be awesome for the "Skycow"
                        Who knows? Dice has made it fairly obvious that they don't consiter BF2 to be set in stone. It's not a very work intensive change. 1 new model for the weapon, use existing animations for the gunners, use M203 sounds projectial physics and damage. Done.

Compair that to the work that must have gone into vehicle drops and it looks like a very feasible thing to do. Just gotta let 'em know it's something we'd want... if we do.
                        Only way to do that is to make noise about it.

Comment

I like the way the BH guns are now, the realism argument (although true) means nothing, this is a video game and all that matters is having FUN! and the way it was before meant that one squad could use it all round and nothing on the ground stood a chance if the crew were not completely retarded

I have killed plenty with the nerfed miniguns, the trick is to fire in one-second bursts, but most people try and use them the "old" way by just spraying until they overheat. Park up next to a APC and see how powerful the guns still are, you can kill it in seconds from full health (not in-game, just to test them)

Better still use the BH for its intended purpose, to transport troops to flags, not to fly around in, obliterating anything that moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Teaves
                            I like the way the BH guns are now, the realism argument (although true) means nothing, this is a video game and all that matters is having FUN! and the way it was before meant that one squad could use it all round and nothing on the ground stood a chance if the crew were not completely retarded

I have killed plenty with the nerfed miniguns, the trick is to fire in one-second bursts, but most people try and use them the "old" way by just spraying until they overheat. Park up next to a APC and see how powerful the guns still are, you can kill it in seconds from full health (not in-game, just to test them)

Better still use the BH for its intended purpose, to transport troops to flags, not to fly around in, obliterating anything that moves.
                            I miss some of the great teamwork you could pull off with a good BH crew. Fly in, drop troops, provide cover, recover troops, repeat.

I never felt is was *balanced*, but that was mostly due to the fact that it could take more damage than a tank without going down and because the skycow's weapons have always been junk. With the reduced armour on transport choppers, I could see a restoration of the m134's power being a cool factor as long as it's balanced with some TLC for the Cow.

Comment

The thing I absolutely hate the most about the current minigun settings is that I've hit guys before and they've continued running around. I got the "X" hit indicator but no kill. When the guns are firing over 6 rounds per second or whatever the heck it is, any burst of gun fire would kill a soldier, period.

That's 6 freaking huge rounds ripping right through that part of your body. Even if you don't die, you definitely don't get up. Therefore, any hit from the miniguns in BF2 should be a kill. I'm sick of this sissy ridiculous unrealistic crap that Dice keeps giving us. I don't want utter realism, I want simple sensibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X