I seen in the Ad for Best Buy the NVIDIA Geforce 7800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I seen in the Ad for Best Buy the NVIDIA Geforce 7800

Shop BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC Graphics Card at Best Buy. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up. Price Match Guarantee.

I have a ATI Radeon 850 Pro AGP (Its an older computer) with 640mb of Rambus (RD) Ram (Which im soon to just put more in when I get $$) My question is would that best buy graphic card be A LOT better or just meh with the ram and keep what I have. I have no issues with mine really, keep all my settings on medium and sometimes just on low. I still finish people off on either one. Whats your opinion

Re: I seen in the Ad for Best Buy the NVIDIA Geforce 7800

Originally posted by Hockey9019
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1130987962424

I have a ATI Radeon 850 Pro AGP (Its an older computer) with 640mb of Rambus (RD) Ram (Which im soon to just put more in when I get $$) My question is would that best buy graphic card be A LOT better or just meh with the ram and keep what I have. I have no issues with mine really, keep all my settings on medium and sometimes just on low. I still finish people off on either one. Whats your opinion
    Best Buy is only for those that like a nice fat crooked penis up the ass. Goto www.newegg.com for all your computer part needs. Also try www.zipzoomfly.com. But whatever you do STAY AWAY from best buy!

Comment

it'll be a lot better...

I didn't even know they made those in AGP... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
        it'll be a lot better...

I didn't even know they made those in AGP... lol
        Yeah I know i was like wtf

AND I Know BB sucks because i worked there this past winter (Nice discount )

How much better you think it will improve? Put everything on high or still no? I mean I have no problems now so yeah

Its only an idea right now so yeah

Comment

The 7800GS is the best card you're going to get out of the AGP line. You definitely would be able to max out everything on it, but the rest of your computer is really bottle-necking it. You'll probably still be held back to medium. What's the rest of your specs?

Comment

Buying any computer parts from a retail store is a scam. I'd know, I sell them. :P

Anyway, personally.... I'd say just save up for a total overhaul. AGP is on its way out, RAMBUS is old and expensive (256MB of RAMBUS costs about as much as 1GB of PC3200).

You'll be better off sinking $600-ish into a mobo/CPU/RAM/video card overhaul that'll be upgradable for years down the road than throwing $400 at something that'll be obsolete and unupgradable in less than a year.

Comment

640 mb of rambus? eh?

Comment

I myself pretty much dug myself into a hole.

Back in the days when I had a steam-aged rig, The first part I upgraded was my video card. I upgraded to the 6800GT in AGP form that I have now to comply with my then mobo.

After that comp completely f'ed out, I had to build my new current-standard rig around the 6800GT AGP because I was forced to buy the AV8 mobo which supported AGP. I'm soon upgrading to the 7800GS because my 6800GT burnt out, and that's as far up the line I'm going to get.

I guess after that, the next step would be a complete overhaul with a PCI-E Mobo, and by then, I'll be buying a DX10 card.

Does switching Mobo's really mean I'm losing all data? Is there any possiblity of switching Mobos, and retaining all my saved data on my HD?

Comment

Originally posted by Zefram
                  640 mb of rambus? eh?
                  Yup lol

Its a P4 1.7 its getting me by right now. I have a laptop HP DV5020US and it seems to run it better on here then on the desktop...oh well

I am building this most likely within a few months as long as work and such go good

AMD X2 4200+
                  2gb PC 3200 or 3gb?
                  7800 GTX

In other words...im going to have some fun building one

Comment

Originally posted by D|sso
                    Does switching Mobo's really mean I'm losing all data? Is there any possiblity of switching Mobos, and retaining all my saved data on my HD?
                    burn on DVDs... move the info to another hard drive...

Comment

Im pretty sure im just going to keep my 850 pro right now..anyone else like em or meh?

It gets the job done for now so thats good enough

Comment

I have the PCI Express 850xt pe.... it's pretty nice. I'm going to hold off for another year maybe.... or after I get married in september... pick up whatever is best of the moment.

Comment

Windows will barf when it finds you installed it on a new motherboard. The best thing you can do is back up your data to another hard drive and use your C: for windows only.

Comment

Use that.

EDIT -- Specifically, use it to resize your main partition to a smaller size, then create a new small partition for your new Windows install. Windows will probably be annoying and ask which one to boot off of when you start up, but it'll work.

Or get a cheapo hard drive like....
                            We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

Comment

IMO - it's a waste of money

just keep playing the way it is and save up for a new system with PCI-e

I'm in the same boat with my 6800 AGP. Although I have the money to upgrade, it's just soooooooo hard to convince myself that a new system is worth the purty graphics.

The upside is all the old video games that I still play (Desert Combat, homeworld 1 and 2 and freespace and escape velocity) will run super duper high graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X