Support guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support guide

I realise now, that most of the people reading this, are likely to have at least a little bit of experience with the support kit. I'm not going to do any philosophical stuff on you, it'll be straight facts and tips.

Firstly, before you begin, let me point you here:
    http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/support

To get to my own original input now: Certain terrains and certain buildings will affect how you must fight. Go through this checklist;

1. Is where im rushing into probably full of bad guys?
    2. Is that place also very confined with lots of sharp corners?
    3. Is that place an enemy flag spawn, that my team has no chance of capturing within the next 15 seconds?
    4. Am I going to have enemies above me?

If you answer "yes" to ANY of those questions, don't go in. Let 5 or 6 teammates go in first. The first two will get mowed down, the next two might kill a couple of guys, and the last couple of your dudes are gonna be picking out their own unique targets. Here's where you come in. Remember from the above guide? You are a roadblock. Sit yourself in a corner and aim down a section of free ground up to about 45 degrees.

If all goes well, your last 2-4 comrades will be sitting by that flag, letting it sink. Now is the time you're ready to shoot. As enemies spawn back in, you can kill them faster than any gun or gun combo in the game. Aim for the chest. Even once your enemies are dead, don't forget that some will crouch immediatly, which can mean a medic might spawn and you won't notice. Be ready for nasty surprises, and look over dead enemies constantly.

Remember that your main advantage with being support is not that you have 100, 150 or 200 bullets. Your main advantage is their rate of fire. If you think that just because you have 200 bullets you can run around spraying everywhere, you will be killed VERY quickly. An m16 shoots a 30 damage round, an m249 Saw shoots a 25 damage round. m16 is burst, with very good accuracy. SAW has FULL AUTO, and moderate/poor accuracy. In the time it takes your opponent to click twice and send 6 bullets your way, you've already sent a good 8 or 9 at him. Supports win by war of attrition. You can shoot more, and you can typically shoot as fast as any other gun in the game, you don't need to worry about moving, since the enemy will be running away FROM you! Rate of Fire is your friend. Use it.

A support players WORST ENEMY is not a sniper, or an AT. It's not a tank or artillary. His worst enemy is a lack of awareness. Remember, you must enter the prone position for any decent accuracy, and from this you have severly decreased movement. You MUST and I repeat MUST at all times be looking out for enemies. Learn this fact here, or learn it the hardway.

Ideally, one should probably spend about 60-80% of ones time looking at the minimap/radar to check for spotted enemies. This game's sound system is VERY poor, and you can get run over by a LAV without even hearing it..

And what better way to illustrate this, than to show you some people who WERE NOT paying attention. Of course, I killed a few more, but who's to brag, huh?

Open terrain is your friend. With open terrain you can see any tracers, you'll be able to target more enemies and you will have a better chance of avoiding grenades (mainly because you can see them flying in). Tanks and APC's will have a harder time shooting you, as their splash damage gets rendered useless, and the assaulters will have no use for their GL. Open terrain is also often filled up with shrubs, or trees, or even just grass. In the above picture you can see how, even under attack, I managed to avoid injury AND kill my attackers.

Basicly, get some higher ground, and stay on the soil. Use shadows to your advantage, but, remember that your guns will make flashes, so be prepared to run. This unlucky man ran past me, almost over me, then away from me, before I shot him in the back.

And who said only snipers could hide in the bush? After all, what am I wearing camo-gear for?

Sometimes, it doesnt even take much cover at all to get the drop on someone.

EDIT: I've added a picture, of a good camping spot in karkand. From here you can help break apart the waves of US infantry, squaddies can drop C4 onto camping tanks/apcs, and, you can stop those sneaky buggers who like to slip down the east side :P. From this position I got 15 kills, before artillary ruined my day

EDIT: Another good defence (aka, camping) spot. Use this position when the enemy have taken the hotel, and pressing for the square. At the sort of ranges you'll be dealing with, you would UNLUCKY to be shot by anything except a flanking sniper. This position is EXCELLENT for getting kills (the only reason why you're reading this, no doubt), you'll be able to directly, and COMPLETELY target a choke-point by which idiotic members of the enemy team run down. Repeatedly.

EDIT: Ho hum, I've decided to update this after some months of inaction.
    As is pointed out in a reply down below, there's an excellent grenade tossing spot for USMC (and MEC, if you have the stones), and it's really easy to get to. Two support, and a medic here = prawn.

EDIT: Another picture of my successes in a game of karkand. A good thing to point out, is that to function efficiently you WILL need a medic, and probably an AT around you at all times. So, I normally play squad leader, or at least join a squad. Support makes an ideal squad leader class: they are the least likely to take risks with their position, and via sheer volume of bullets you can keep a marauding enemy squad at bay. If you get stuck without a squad, you're much more likely to survive than some mincemeat sniper, or a bunnyrabbit medic.

By the end of that round I had 22 kills, 0 deaths. spaceynz is my chibi ^_______^

Be a hero: play squad leader.

Re: Support guide

Good post

Id like to add, support have crappy guns at long range, but in close range they are not so bad, goes to engineers also. Heres a list of what I think are the best-worst guns (top-best, bottom-worst)

Blackhawk Chaingun: Man, i wish i can use this on foot. you would rule with this. but too bad EA wont allow it.
    MG36- accurate, less of a pullback, burst mode, and quiet than other support guns.
    PKM: slower rate of fire but strong bullets, accurate best only when proning
    M249SAW: pretty good reliable gun, deadly and accurate close range, fast rate of firing.
    Chinese- alright gun- almost like an old version of the MG36, go use an unlock gun instaid
    MEC- this gun is useless, go and use an unlock as PKM or MG36.

Tips for resupply:
    to get the most resupply points,
    In Mashtur or any other map with a heli, tell the people to throw the nades out of the heli. I get some points for kill this helps if the gunners miss their targets, or to damage vehicles.

2. If your team takes over an enemy base with their equipment( art. UAV, and scan) stick close to a spec ops. so they will resupply c4 for them.

3. Snipers, anti tanks also run out of ammo quickly

Comment

Suport is my most played class, and I've got a few things to say about it:

-you CAN hit long range targets. I use the MG36, and taking down someone from a range of, say top of the TV station - sniper roof between contruction site and tv station on sharqi isn't a problem. Just aim, fire a volley of bullets, get down, move, and repeat.

-Remember that it's ALWAYS better to be waiting for your opponent rather than vice versa.

-Since 1.22, I find it useful to wait just a split second longer when going prone before shooting, the accuracy bonus is huge.

-Remember that you work best supporting your teammates. Although this is important with every class, support is support and not rambo-class

-You have unlimited nades. Use them.

-In cqc, do NOT go prone. Crouch, or just hold down the trigger as in close ranges accuracy is not important and you can spray to your hearts content.

Comment

I'd disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Originally posted by vets.Sarge
        -you CAN hit long range targets. I use the MG36, and taking down someone from a range of, say top of the TV station - sniper roof between contruction site and tv station on sharqi isn't a problem. Just aim, fire a volley of bullets, get down, move, and repeat.
        For long-distance targets, the PKM is easily the best. The recoil is so heavy on LMGs that even the MG36 is very unlikely to hit on the second shot, so all of them wind up being shot one bullet at a time. The PKM, tied for the best accuracy and doing 50% more damage per bullet, is best at this.

-Remember that it's ALWAYS better to be waiting for your opponent rather than vice versa.
        It depends on the situation. Surprise is a powerful weapon, and waiting for someone only works when no one is busy lining you up in their crosshairs.

Surprise is an increasingly powerful weapon when they're being fired at from the ground by some of the most powerful guns in the game.

support is support and not rambo-class
        While support is definitely a squaddie kit (yay for bad sprint distance), nothing smashes defenses quite as well as a gun you don't have to reload mid-fight.

-In cqc, do NOT go prone. Crouch, or just hold down the trigger as in close ranges accuracy is not important and you can spray to your hearts content.
        Even crouching, your effective range winds up very short. While crouching, you're really just as immobile as you would be prone, and easier to hit. The only disadvantage to proning is the delay where you can't fire, but DICE apparently didn't realize you can still stand up fast without a firing delay by tapping crouch, so that doesn't matter any more.

Comment

Content added, doods.

I will give a better update tomorrow :P

Comment

Originally posted by PHPT
            I'd disagree with pretty much everything you said.

For long-distance targets, the PKM is easily the best. The recoil is so heavy on LMGs that even the MG36 is very unlikely to hit on the second shot, so all of them wind up being shot one bullet at a time. The PKM, tied for the best accuracy and doing 50% more damage per bullet, is best at this.
            I use the mg36. not especially for long range targets (in wich the pkm IS the king) however, if I AM forced to kill someone at long distances one of the best tactics is probably to pop up, aim, fire maybe 4-5 bullets, and get down again. You might hit em once every time you fire. I'm talking out of nade distance here!

Also, when aiming with the sights (on the MG36, at least) I find that to hit long range targets you are more precise by placing your target just under the top of the sights.

It depends on the situation. Surprise is a powerful weapon, and waiting for someone only works when no one is busy lining you up in their crosshairs.

Surprise is an increasingly powerful weapon when they're being fired at from the ground by some of the most powerful guns in the game.
            A good player will mash you up before you even hit the ground. It's why I prefer to wait for them to come round a corner instead of vice versa

While support is definitely a squaddie kit (yay for bad sprint distance), nothing smashes defenses quite as well as a gun you don't have to reload mid-fight.
            And I will still prefer to let someone that doesn't have to incapacitate themselves to aim go first (Assault, Medic) most of the time

Even crouching, your effective range winds up very short. While crouching, you're really just as immobile as you would be prone, and easier to hit. The only disadvantage to proning is the delay where you can't fire, but DICE apparently didn't realize you can still stand up fast without a firing delay by tapping crouch, so that doesn't matter any more.
            Example: The alleyway between karkand hotel and the low roof next to it. You're at the east entrance. In a situation like this, I will crouch. You don't need long range accuracy, and I'd like to get the hell out of there once the nades come flying in.

Comment

Vets... why not just use the pistol?

BTW, should I add a video? I never seem to take screenshots at the right time >.<

I've got like 30 for this tutorial, but most are shiet.

Comment

I play support a lot and to be honest I think the MG36 is a waste of time.

Ok it looks the daddy, but if you single click all your PKM rounds it is Unbelievably accurate... I can hit targets at any range, click click click, there are 3 hits... and going off the MG36 stats in this thread, that would take you 3 goes at popping up and letting off 3-5 rounds... thats sniper fodder

Comment

Originally posted by vets.Sarge
                  Also, when aiming with the sights (on the MG36, at least) I find that to hit long range targets you are more precise by placing your target just under the top of the sights.
                  Yeah, you can see where the real center is any time you get a hit indicator. The MG36 sights are bugged, it sucks, one more reason I despise sharpshooting with it. What's ironic is how many people say the MG36 has better sights.

And I will still prefer to let someone that doesn't have to incapacitate themselves to aim go first (Assault, Medic) most of the time
                  I hardly see it as incapacitating yourself. Dropping prone throws people off, I do it even with rifles because of that. It's won me far more fights than lost. The only thing incapacitating is the bad recoil of LMGs, but to me that's just more reason to pick the fight.

In a situation like this, I will crouch. You don't need long range accuracy, and I'd like to get the hell out of there once the nades come flying in.
                  Tap crouch and you stand up immediately. Try it.

Comment

More pictures, more words (better words). Adding a movie soon.

Comment

Very helpful thread! thank you! Looking forward to the movie!

Comment

Same here , could be fun watching it Seems you have found your favorite kit .

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk5
                          MEC- this gun is useless, go and use an unlock as PKM or MG36.
                          you are o so wrong, this is one of the most accurate guns, it is liek teh MG but slower and bigger bullets try it out and you will c

Comment

I can't hit squat with the PKM.

Comment

Are you aiming with the stock and tucking the muzzle into your shoulder or something? The PKM is lethal! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X