Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screen resolution

Originally posted by deadboy79
    i tried changing the setting to the higher resolution last night. i kept the settings the same and was getting aroung 60fps. the problem is that part of the right and left sides of the screen were cut off. if the monitor can handle that res i don't know what the prob is. any suggestions? thanks
    how can you tell it was cut off?
    you mean parts of the HUD and other screen mapped things?
    if this was a CRT - then easy fix
    just adjust the horizontal width in crt setup
    LCD - this should be impossible
    unless you are setting a reolution HIGHER than your LCD
    hmmm still not sure that is possible
    also might check your monnitor setup
    might have somehting called pixel clock or pixel timing or phase shift
    try to adjust them

how much image are you missing
    can you take a screnshot and compare it with what yuo are seeing on you actual screen

Comment

Originally posted by Glenmore
      I have never played with my resolution in-game because I am on a laptop with limited resources but I was wondering: Do higher resolutions have more viewable area like watching a movie in widescreen vs. letterbox? Am I missing something?
      you're missing stuff, but not in the sense that it's off the edge of the screen. Maybe you're looking at a blob that is maybe 10 pixels. With a higher resolution, it turns that small blob into the shape of a man made out of 50 pixels. You're able to distinguish the shapes of his arms and legs. It's like putting on glasses. You are able to see more detail (more pixels)

Comment

Ah, so like playing with the ol' beer goggles on. No wonder I am always humpin' the bumpers of APC's. Big girls need luv too...

Comment

lol, it's not quite so dramatic as I put it, but yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
            how can you tell it was cut off?
            you mean parts of the HUD and other screen mapped things?
            if this was a CRT - then easy fix
            just adjust the horizontal width in crt setup
            LCD - this should be impossible
            unless you are setting a reolution HIGHER than your LCD
            hmmm still not sure that is possible
            also might check your monnitor setup
            might have somehting called pixel clock or pixel timing or phase shift
            try to adjust them

how much image are you missing
            can you take a screnshot and compare it with what yuo are seeing on you actual screen
            screenshot wont help as that only records what the computer is sending and NOT what is displayed through the monitor.

i swear my LCD can change the viewed area like my CRT but im not sure because i barely use it compared to my lovely CRT

Comment

does your LCD have an "Auto" adjust button? That centers the screen on most LCDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenmore
                I have never played with my resolution in-game because I am on a laptop with limited resources but I was wondering: Do higher resolutions have more viewable area like watching a movie in widescreen vs. letterbox? Am I missing something?
                direct answer is NO
                you will NOT get a BIGGER slice of the world to look into
                you wil get MORE pixels per given area
                imagine a screen resolution of something REALLY dumb
                like 60 x 60 pixels
                adn your 'computed' eyepoint has 60 degrees of effective "look into the world"
                (eg humans can 'see' about 170 degree or so at any one time = so imagine the monitor consuming about 1/3 or you viewspace)
                and an aircraft in the sky consumes about 1 degree of your current view space
                this means the aircraft can only have about 1 pixel to be used for its drawing

pretty dull huh?
                more resolution equals more pixles equals more DETAIL
                the jet will NOT look bigger or smaller
                (ie those that equate more resolution with zooming are wrong)

this logic is offset somewhat by the use of textures
                ie, you can get by with lower resolution (hence fewer polygons - sometimes)
                with effective use if testure maps
                (which BF2 does VERY WELL)
                but, you should now have a basic feel for beneifts of more reolution
                I now run at 1600 x 1200
                and it is MOST fun as commander
                the details when I ZOOM in, are to say the least - quite remarkable

Originally posted by SGT_Bum_Fluff
                screenshot wont help as that only records what the computer is sending and NOT what is displayed through the monitor.

i swear my LCD can change the viewed area like my CRT but im not sure because i barely use it compared to my lovely CRT
                yes - I agree - that is why I wanted him to take a screenshot
                so he could compare what the CPU see vs what the LCD shows

there are times when LCD cuts off parts of image
                that is when you get a virtual desktop from commanding windowes to use a higher resolutuion that your LCD has
                quite useful on older laptops

BF2 will not allow me to test that becasue I already have the highest setting
                (in the menu - 1600 x 1200 LCD)
                I know there are manual ways to adjust it higher - but I forget them)

Comment

there is a good FAQ here about resolutions, fov, aspect ratio, etc...

"Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

i'm at work so can't check if has auto setting. will check later. as far as the stuff being cut off. on the load screen and in game boths sides have a little of the picture cut off. like in the load screen on the bottom right when it says join game part will be cut off. same on other side. part of text is cut off. in game the first couple letters of text in top right are cut off and part of the mini map are cut off of the other side. not sure if needs adj in some of the monitor settings. i wouldnt' think it would though. when i googled my monitor model it said that was the max resolution so should be able to display it without problems. i could be wrong though. i'm no monitor genius. thanks for the help again guys. everyone here is great. i'd love to get it working at a higher resolution.

Comment

Working...
                    X