screen resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen resolution

first of all sorry if this has been covered before but i couldn't find anything. i have a couple year old 17" sony lcd monitor. i'm currently running bf2 at 1024x768 @75hz. i've seen some stuff were some people say that is ok and others says you should use a higher resolution. i know during regular use in windows anything higher looks to small to me. should i run at a higher resolution or is what i'm running at ok. what are the advantages/disadvantages of my current resolution vs. a higher one. also if it helps i can run everything on full with aa 4x w/ approx 80fps on my current setup. thanks.

Re: screen resolution

Normally you should always use the native resolution of an LCD panel for the best quality. Some panels are better than others at showing lower res without distortion though. What is the max res of your monitor? If you can't run at max res at max settings you'd probably be better off reducing settings (especially AA) and increasing the res.

Comment

not sure what the max res of my monitor is. i'll check when i get home and try it out. will i get a major drop in fps if i up the res and keep aa at 4x?

Comment

Originally posted by jdrou
        Normally you should always use the native resolution of an LCD panel for the best quality. Some panels are better than others at showing lower res without distortion though. What is the max res of your monitor? If you can't run at max res at max settings you'd probably be better off reducing settings (especially AA) and increasing the res.
        yes - use native resolution

not sure what the max res of my monitor is. i'll check when i get home and try it out. will i get a major drop in fps if i up the res and keep aa at 4x?

almost for sure to get a drop - what is your CPU, Graphics card and Ram?
        is yuo use higher resolution - nothing gets smaller (unlike windows fonts)
        you just get MORE pixels per given area of screen
        eg
        human face will have 100 vs 25 pixels if you double the resolution
        (ie 2x w and 2 x H)

Comment

i have amd 64 3700+. evga e-gforce 6800gs (factory oc'd 490/1100). 2gb ram (4x512mb).

sorry. forget to mention video card is 256mb pci-e. if that makes a difference. will check on monitor within the next couple of hours and post reply then. thanks.

the monitor is a sony sdm-s73 17" lcd. it's resolution is 1280x1024. given my hardware would i be better keeping it at my current resolution or upping the resolution. and if i up it do i need to turn down the aa or other settings to continue to get acceptable fps. thanks.

Comment

there is an odd visual relationship between REAL resolution
            and apparrent resolution (ie caused by AA)
            if you run a LCD (or even CRT) without AA - it will look MOST crisp
            and every pixel will have TRUE color representation
            but alas - you will get jaggy edges if high contrast or thin lines (eg fences, wires)
            if you add even 2xaa
            the screen will "appear" as if is 2560 x 2048
            ahh - less jaggies - more pleasing to the eye
            BUT it (screen image) is softer and now you have less REAL color info
            AA was first 'invented' when monitors had very little real memeory in the frame buffer
            and it was an artifical way to enhance the image
            now we have better monitors and AA is still 'cheap' to implement - you can have both
            BUT at the cost of frame rate (fps)
            the 256 PCI e is standard
            assuming you have optimized (even a little) you system
            you should get 60+ fps at all times with all things on high
            BUT shadows off and AA off
            ie - up your resolution to match the LCD and turn off AA
            and dynamic shadows off
            if you do not fly much -
            you can play ok at a bit slower fps - try adding either AA or shadows and pick what is most pleasing to you
            I would be surpised it you could turn them both on without hurting your FPS too much
            (some folks play ok at 30fps - but they probably have not experienced higher speeds or would probably not ever go back IMHO)

Comment

thanks for the info. i'll try that tonight.

Comment

Human eyes cannot tell the difference for frame rates beyond 60. That is also the real world frame rate if I am not mistaken. I learn this information when I was a flight simulation freak.

MPeg Movies are recorded and played at 28~29 frames per second.

You have a pretty good system I say. I can only play at 800x600@120MHz.

Comment

120 refresh rate? wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by BF2Freak
                    Human eyes cannot tell the difference for frame rates beyond 60. That is also the real world frame rate if I am not mistaken. I learn this information when I was a flight simulation freak.

How can you explan that you see a 60Hz CRT vibrating, even 85Hz isnt as good as 100Hz... I can see the difference between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
                      120 refresh rate? wtf?
                      Many monitors can do that at 800x600 res.

BTW, AFAIK the refresh rate setting has no effect when used with an LCD monitor.
                      From http://www.necdisplay.com/support/cs...de/index04.htm :
                      Since LCD monitors do not employ phosphors, refresh rate is not a concern. Basically, the transistors in the LCD remain open or closed as needed until the image changes. This can be a point of confusion for some consumers, however, since most graphics cards still "ask for" a refresh rate setting. This is due to the analog nature of existing graphic cards (see "Inputs" section) and their support for CRT displays. While refresh rates do not apply to LCD monitors, most LCDs are set up to accept any settings from 60Hz and above.

Comment

Originally posted by BF2Freak

well - no - perception is a odd word
                        even the slightest flicker can be detected (ie perceived)
                        many variables - brightness, contrast etc
                        frame rates of many 100s can be viewed in right circumstances
                        and in deference to your being a simulaton freak
                        I was a Pentagon consultant on simulation
                        then founded and owned many simulation compaines
                        specializing in realtime visualization (graphics)
                        and then a consultant again on simulation
                        with specialty on visual systems/displays etc

60 fps is the MINIMUM for most people that will prohibit perceived flicker
                        ie - if a monitor is LESS than 60 - MOST folks SEE flicker
                        which is a reduction in LIGHT intensity

higher frame rates are of little value when
                        player is not moving - duh
                        and REAL important with high movement
                        especially high ANGULAR rates
                        slower rates will cause image jitter or chop
                        and it has been my personal observation
                        Using 4 different systems here at home
                        with the best being
                        P4 3.2 / 4GB ram / and x1800xl / 5Mbit DSL
                        that EVERY extra 10 pfs gives MUCH better game play
                        all the way up to 100 fps - when flying
                        over 60fps not needed when on ground

Comment

Originally posted by pYura
                          How can you explan that you see a 60Hz CRT vibrating, even 85Hz isnt as good as 100Hz... I can see the difference between them.
                          You are seeing it through the TV set.

Comment

i tried changing the setting to the higher resolution last night. i kept the settings the same and was getting aroung 60fps. the problem is that part of the right and left sides of the screen were cut off. if the monitor can handle that res i don't know what the prob is. any suggestions? thanks

Comment

I have never played with my resolution in-game because I am on a laptop with limited resources but I was wondering: Do higher resolutions have more viewable area like watching a movie in widescreen vs. letterbox? Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                              X