Defrag Improves Load Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defrag Improves Load Time

Yes I have to agree that Perfect Disk is the best defragging utility that I've used to date. Not only does it improve loading times for BF2, but any other programs...especially those that are memory intensive.

Originally posted by TomGazpacho
    Schedule a defrag to run nightly. I schedule mine to run at 5:30 AM when I am in bed (or probably should be).

It's easy. First, create a shortcut that executes the following command as the target:

%windir%\system32\defrag.exe -f c:

Now go to Settings > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task and set up the defrag shortcut you made to run nightly.
    Unless you move data around an awful lot on your computer, defragging daily is probably overkill. The average gamer should only have to defrag one time every two weeks. This is only a suggestion and see fit as you will.

Comment

O&O defrag ftw, can choose defrag method. idk about defragging every night though, you could end up wearing out your bithead. i say once a month or once every 2 weeks for heavy users is a good pace.

Comment

Apprently if you clean graphics shaders, let a map load so shaders are optimized then close BF2/SF then defrag it makes things better. At least that's what tweakguides's article on BF2 says..

Comment

thx for the tip

Comment

i use power defragmenter:
            http://www.excessive-software.tk/

which defrag tool mentioned on this thread is the very best?
            -power defragmenter
            -Ashampoo Magical Defrag
            -PerfectDisk
            -O&O defrag
            -Diskeeper

criteria:
            -optimum defraging
            -can defrag specific files to specific sections of the hd (bf2/system files up front)
            -defrags while system is idle (or is that a bad thing for hd ware-n-tear)
            -can defrag pagefile

Comment

(Updated)

Caveat defragger:

My BF2 map load times are rediculous on my new 3500mhz Compaq PC. I dl a ton of stuff from usenet, so my HD is very fragmented. I was looking forward to a full fancy defrag from a hq app.

I used the O&O defrag. Stopped it at 4% for some Karkland. Now I can no longer log in to the account server in BF2.

I'm hoping the login server is down or that I need to complete the defrag. I believe I'm going to need to reinstall BF2 though...

Good luck and thanks for all the posts all. See you in the field.

-Ceroberos

Follow up - I was able to get BF2 to load now.

I ran O&O Defrag some more and now it is working. Maybe it was login server or maybe the O&O should not have been interrupted before.

If you have an Athlon64, this updated driver from AMD seemed to speed up my Explorer behavior:

Get the competitive edge for AI, data center, business computing solutions & gaming with AMD processors, graphics, FPGAs, Adaptive SOCs, & software.

Comment

Originally posted by abc99
                (Updated)

Caveat defragger:

My BF2 map load times are rediculous on my new 3500mhz Compaq PC. I dl a ton of stuff from usenet, so my HD is very fragmented. I was looking forward to a full fancy defrag from a hq app.

I used the O&O defrag. Stopped it at 4% for some Karkland. Now I can no longer log in to the account server in BF2.

I'm hoping the login server is down or that I need to complete the defrag. I believe I'm going to need to reinstall BF2 though...

Good luck and thanks for all the posts all. See you in the field.

-Ceroberos

Follow up - I was able to get BF2 to load now.

I ran O&O Defrag some more and now it is working. Maybe it was login server or maybe the O&O should not have been interrupted before.

If you have an Athlon64, this updated driver from AMD seemed to speed up my Explorer behavior:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html
                For your info its KARKAND, and it was the BF2 account servers.

Comment

Working...
                X