Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X850XT / X1800GTO / BFG 7600GT OC or the eVGA one

Originally posted by GeoffRowley
    I seriously appreciate the time you spent puttiny real information and your opinions of the 7600GT. I'm taking this into consideration and am starting to lean towards the x850xt. Thanks a whole whack.
    Hey, my two cents. I've had an 6800gt, i thought it was a pretty good card, till it died. I was digruntled with Nvidia at that point, and decided to give ATI a shot. I picked up the x850xt pe. Truly a terrific card, extremely fast and i have had 0 problems. If you can find one for a good price, it is worth every penny!

Comment

yea the x850 may perform better but the x850 has old technology such as pixel shader 2.0 not 3.0 like the 7600GT, games real soon will take advantage of this.

Comment

Originally posted by SFR-MAINE
        yea the x850 may perform better but the x850 has old technology such as pixel shader 2.0 not 3.0 like the 7600GT, games real soon will take advantage of this.
        Shader model 3 almost does nothing. Maybe some smoother textures on metallic, liquid and round objects, but that is just about it. It is true that more games will be using it, but it is really just eye candy.

Comment

Ok yeah by the way you dont need 2gb of RAM at all to play BF2, but 1gb is strongly reccomended.

I have 2 gb in my computer right now, the base use is 250mb (yes that is high) but when i play BF2 i max out at about 41-47% total RAM usage. That translates to approximately 600-700mbs of RAM is acutally utilized by BF2 alone to run without slowdowns, and lag as a result of not engouh system RAM.

I am rather tired of hearing so many people telling others they need 2 GB of system RAM for the game to run smooth. That is just blantly untrue. I am begining to think that we have alot of RAM salesmen on this site.

Of course the other side is other future games or applications will probably benifit from the extra ram. The above comment is strictly related to bf2.

Comment

Well if 1Gb of ram is so great then why do all the highend tech people have more than 1GB of ram in their gaming rigs with kick ass video cards and some SLI/Crossfire setups? For the game to run right and fast and if you want to take spawn and choose whatever vehicle you want at the start of a new round two gigs will do the trick. Sure you can get away with one 1GB and a highend video card the map will not load as fast, you will get some stutter. Nothing is worse than competing with your fellow clan members with a point race only to get a sudden lag attack and either Tk someone (then get punished) or get killed yourself.

Me and just about everyother active member on these tech forums will agree that to run all on high (that means everything fullest and max) you will need 2GB of ram. Also helps to have a decent video card.

I have 2 GB of ram and i can't run all things on high. Textures no problem and 2x or sometimes 4x AA will be real nice. But crank up shadows and lighting things get slower.

Comment

Originally posted by [WCC]mrbucket
              Shader model 3 almost does nothing. Maybe some smoother textures on metallic, liquid and round objects, but that is just about it. It is true that more games will be using it, but it is really just eye candy.
              in my opinion, you're mistaken. HDR depends on SM3, and if you want to see a difference, you should look at any review of Oblivion. HDR makes the "bright" lights look almost photrealistic.

Having said that, I still wouldn't pass up a good deal on an x850xt pe.

Here's an awesome deal on a refurbished card from newegg

The company is good, too. I had a 9600xt from HIS, and it is still chugging along in another computer. This x850xtpe is a quality product, with a proven chipset.

If I had to do it again...I'd go PCI-E and this card, For The (cheap) Win.

Comment

Well if 1Gb of ram is so great then why do all the highend tech people have more than 1GB of ram in their gaming rigs with kick ass video cards and some SLI/Crossfire setups?
                Dude, you answered your own question within the question. You say high end tech people. You're talking about people's systems who obviously have money, and therefore have top end systems. What you are trying to do is make a connection between systems and games (specifically BF2) that is where your "point" falls apart. Your comment is in no way related to usage of memory in BF2.

With that said, let me explain further.

I can easily monitor my cpu and RAM usage in game since i have a g15 keyboard. When I play the game, it barely flucuates in RAM usage, once the necessary files are loaded into RAM it does not really flucuate much when playing the game, IT STAYS AT AROUND 41-47% ON MY SYSTEM = 600-700MB OF RAM BEING USED. I personally do not have a "kick ass system with sli/crossfire" so perhaps those setups use more, but from secondary sources they do not. Especially not a difference of 1 Gig, which is a buttload.

You mentioned about loading up during game screens, well ram does have some to do with that. But... not much. Once the game is loaded as i said previously the ram usage barely flucuates. Once everything in the game is loaded into RAM the cpu uses the ram speed to read to and from, besides that RAM does not do much else (except ram speed ie. 3200ram/400mhz and 2700ram/266mhz).

Loading times between screens is more dependant on CPU speeds and FSB on the CPU. Get your stuff straight.

As I mentioned i have a G15 keyboard so it is easy to monitor this stuff, but do it with diagnositc software and it will be nearly the same.
                When i play the RAM stays about the same, but while playing (using ram for the application) the CPU usage is around 10% give or take. When i am switching maps the CPU usage jumps to nearly 90+%.

So once again in regarding BF2 you only need around 1 gig.

If you want better loading times between maps have 1 gig RAM and the fastest CPU money can buy, and you will be the 1st one in the map.

As to people with highend systems, of course they are going to fill their ram slots, and have 2+ gigs of ram. That does not mean it is being used. Surely it doesnt while playing BF2. Extra RAM never hurts (usually), but what is necessary, and being used, and what is nice to have are two completely different things.

In light of the origional post it is like this you may only need a X800pro to play on all high vid settings, but an X1900 would be nice to have.

SFR- whatever your name is, if you dont beleive me, dont beleive your "friends", we are both secondary sources. Do the research yourself, either look it up and/or learn about how hardware functions with software. Stop trying to impress if you don't know what the computer does in the first place.

Im not saying not to get 2 gigs of ram, just that it is not necessary AT ALL for BF2.

Comment

You may be right but I know for a fact that my system uses more than 1Gb of ram for BF2. I should have refraised my last post to make more since and i should have read it a second time. Sure you can get away with 1GB but for a more enjoyable experiance 2GB would be so much better.

Here is my Taskmanager during BF2 the spike is from being killed (thought that was kinda cool)

BF2 still loves to use my pagefile though.

Nice post though, made me look like an idiot LOL :laugh:

Comment

Just my two quick cents,

You are getting an SLI board, so I would go with the 7600 GT OC as long as it is an SLI card, I'll be honest I didnt look if it is.

Why buy an ATI for an SLI board when you can upgrade the card with another one of the same? SLI is made for Nvidia.

Enjoy the new comp

Comment

Working...
                    X