Between QW and Bf2/bf2142

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Between QW and Bf2/bf2142

Now, I've just come from watching the QW video. First thing that came to mind was that the Strogg aren't killy enough but seriously.. the game looks beautiful don't it? Who ever said the doom3 engine couldn't handle big outdoorsy areas will be kicking themselves now huh.

The actual gameplay, at least that demonstrated in the trailer doesn't look too appealing really.. I can't describe it other than a severe dislike of the trailer as a whole.

Compare what we see in that movie to what we know about bf2, and what is likely to be in bf2142.. and we get the masters of FPS (id software) trying to reach a new level of fighting. Bf2142 and QW are going to have a very similar feel I think, both will have walkers, flyers, buggies, foot soldiers, guns, and presumably some degree of melee combat. However they look like they're going to function almost totally different. Bf2142 will likely remind us of bf2, with large, open industrialised maps (complete with the lame ZOMG CARRIER ^_________^), and QW appears to hold out more to constricted battle grounds.. like tunnels, canyons and buildings.

Focusing on weaponry we can expect much of the same from bf2142; grenades, rocket launchers (of some kind) automated rifles and of course, the pistol. Each kit will have a set restriction of what can be carried, what type of weapon specifically. QW? Well.. presumably it can't copy the bf series, so how will it work? The same old pick-up-as-many-guns-as-you-like style? Or maybe go for a F.E.A.R. style where you can pick up whatever guns you like, except that you're restricted to a certain number of weapons. Most likely, it will be a SoF kind of selection, where you pick your weapon load out BEFORE you hit the ground, but still retain that total freedom of choice.

Rumour has it that the different factions will have different strengths and weaknesses too, I think we can expect strogg to jump higher or run faster or something, you know. Maybe humans get more ammo who knows.

Just between me and you's, QW doesn't feel like what I want, and I'm telling you all this because good chance is that since we all enjoy the same game here, there's other people who feel the same as I do.

I want to hear what you think.

Re: Between QW and Bf2/bf2142

What weapons will there be?

GDF
    » N93 Machinegun or GPMG (Soldier) - can be mounted by a soldier and made usable for other classes
    » N72 LAW Rocket (Soldier)
    » N5 Machine Pistol (Field Ops)
    » N22 Shotgun (Engineer)
    » Land Mines (Engineer)
    » Proximity Mines (Engineer)
    » N80 Assault Rifle - scope or grenade (Medic)
    » N38 Sniper Rifle (Ranger)
    » Smoke Grenades (Ranger)

Strogg
    » Lightning Pistol (Opressor)
    » Hyperblaster (Tank)
    » Obliterator (Tank)
    » Bosonic Orb (Tank)
    » Railgun (Infiltrator)
    » Biolectric Pinch Bomb (Infiltrator)
    » Nailgun (Constructor)
    » EMP Charge (Constructor)

Strogg weapons don't have to be reloaded, but they run hot while shooting.

Just to note, ET:QW isnt copying BF2142 its the other way around since ET:QW has been in development for a while now.

ET:QW is basicly what I expected BF2 to be like exept present day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Eden
      Just to note, ET:QW isnt copying BF2142 its the other way around since ET:QW has been in development for a while now.
      They're both copying Tribes anyway.

Comment

Too early to tell. Trailers are horrible at conveying gameplay.

Comment

FAQ basicly tells everything. and if you want to know anything else just ask someone from the Sir. community.

Comment

GDF

With a name like "GDF" it wouldn't surprise me if EA roused up those Westwood boys, and we saw a C&C wars or summin... GDI vs NOD, on a massive battlefield where you fight as a footsoldier in any vehicle you find, wielding weapons of undeniable power. Fight as either the noble and steady GDI, wielding the tiberium resources at hand to fight the oppression of the NOD, or become one of the brotherhood, and wade through the corpses of the enemy until the NOD achieve planetary domination.

and yes, I'm aware that QW has been in development for a long time now.. it was posted about in some insipid gamespy daily email in november or thereabouts.

What I've been trying to say is, that despite their apparent similarities, they are both (almost) totally different games, with different player bases in mind. Just think of all the little girly 14 year old boys wanting to be some hulking strogg in his super-nuclear walker blowing away people who may or may not look like his high-school oppressors? Smells like CS all over again to me.

Comment

Reading stuff about a game is good, but so much is left out. I've given up on making judgement calls based mostly on press releases. Game play vids and screen shots I rely more on, gameplay vids especially, and more and more, large quality longer gameplay vids are comming out, esentially being REALLY long ads for the more informed gamer I guess, since there still is other ads, in more mainstream medias that will give a different spin on the game, because it's a different medium, and they know it's a different audience getting specific videos from a website.

Interviews are good reads, but some times those things can change, heck even the stuff you see in a video or screen shot can change.

The past is what I rely on most. ID is older, and makes perfect engines almost everytime, if not with a few patches. Doom3 was pretty but sucked in terms of game play IMO. However quake 4 was fairly different, and atleast in single player, a little more like BF, since it's setting up QW, with medics and engies. I hope this new version of the doom 3 engine runs as smooth, and that will be it's leg up on BF2142. Better looking, probably running better on either the same machine or less. Remember BF2 is THE biggest resource hog from what I know, taking around 900-1.3 giges deicated to run smoothly at even the medium settings, lower setting require atleast a gig just because of windows acting up as well, and to help it avout having to read the data from the HD.

Honestly I love BF2 the game, but the engine, while pretty in alot of aspects (especially for the size of map and player count), suffers in stability and is a resource hog. ID has the OPPOSITE reputation as a engine maker, however doesn't really make games even, and Its not ID developing it exactly, it's raven, but this is the only other doom3 based game being released and ID is helping push it as a decent competitor for BF2. This E3 especially will see them square off more or less in terms of what we can see in terms of a finished game, and share as much real info as possible.

For BF2142, the problems of BF2 should be gone, as close to 100% as possible. They could make a fun game again,since I like all settings for games frankly (just no turn based), but to drop another $50US probably, it has to have another reputation in that aspect.

Though bf2142 also needs to be a better engine otherwise mods will just cut into it's sales too much. Hell a good futuristic or just REALLY interesting mod, that keeps the tribes/bf2 style of game play could cut into the sales of both QW and bf2142.

Comment

Originally posted by ||bfa||variable
                Too early to tell. Trailers are horrible at conveying gameplay.
                Actually the trailer for QW is actuall game play.

Comment

Originally posted by papi4baby
                  Actually the trailer for QW is actuall game play.
                  So? It shows you tiny snippets of the maps. It doesn't explain the situation. It doesn't show objectives. It doesn't give you the full depth and breadth of what you can do.

It's a horrible way to evaluate a game.

Comment

@MrBenis

You seam to have stuck yourself on a disliking to ET:QW for no apparent reason. Have you ever played Enemy Territory? Its nothing like CS or BF and there arnt many "girly 14 year old boys playing" it either at least not compared to BF2.

GDI is not GDF, if anything its taken from one of the old si-fi movies.

What make you say they both have different player bases in mind? just because ET:QW has an alien race?

****, I don't even know what to say to your apparent lack of inelegance, not meaning to be rude but really you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Go play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory then come back and come back and repeat those questions.

@sithdemon

The good thing about ET:QW is the developers both id & Splash Damage are working on the game, id has a great reputation for making good engines and SD has a great reputation all round, the plus with SD is they were originally a mod team which means they exist to make a great game.

So? It shows you tiny snippets of the maps. It doesn't explain the situation. It doesn't show objectives. It doesn't give you the full depth and breadth of what you can do.

It's a horrible way to evaluate a game.
                    Read the FAQ.

the game is going to be objective based, everyone will have a role to ply even if they are not in a squad. For example, your objective may be to take control of a key bridge, hold it and proceed at the same time to take control of the surrounding area. Meanwhile the emmys objective will be to protect the bridge to allow a command bad to be set up on the other side then proceed to destroy a key building.

that's what the game play style will be, objective based.

What gamemodes will there be in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

The main gamemode - Objective based teamplay like in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. One team is defending one attacking. The attacking team has to complete certain objectives to win the map. The defending team has to stop them. All maps have a different story and different objectives. A series of maps (generally three) is one campaign.

For professional gaming there will be a stopwatch mode. The goal is to beat the enemies time. In the first round one team is attacking then in the next round the sides switch and the other team attacks and tries to beat that time.

Comment

Read the FAQ.

[blah blah]

that's what the game play style will be, objective based.
                      Yea, I know. But you can't judge a game from a trailer and a description. No one is qualified to start making judgments (positive or negative) until we get a demo, at least. Anyone who decides "what game I'm gonna play", before they even try each game, is a fool.

Comment

Yea, I know. But you can't judge a game from a trailer and a description. No one is qualified to start making judgments (positive or negative) until we get a demo, at least. Anyone who decides "what game I'm gonna play", before they even try each game, is a fool.
                        I'm not judging the game I'm judging the development, its is save to say the answers SD give you are clear cut, they have no need to lie, if its not going to be in the game they will tell you that and if it is going to be in the game they will tell you that.

Just goes to show that a single developer (EA/Dice) can make people lose trust in all developers.

Comment

Although both games are a while off and as far as actual game play mechanics goes... everything is up in the air at this point.

That said, I think some of you bf2 players who are expecting some kind of "realism" type of game out of quake wars, brace yourself for a disappointment, and I'm not talking about mechs or aliens.

If you ever cried or lost sleep about "bunny hopping" or jumping + shooting in bf2, I'm almost positive quake wars will cause you to have a stroke within 3 minutes of playing it.

Remember, the primary target audience for quake wars will be both the quake and enemy territory communities.

Hence, it's a given that strafe jumping and the likes will be ever present.
                          Enemy Territory (wolf) was a WWII based shooter, but of all the game out there in that genre, it was without a doubt the most unrealistic of the bunch.

You could strafe jump down hills and jump over moving tanks/trucks, jump off 30 foot walls, shoot people in the head mid-air... you get the idea.

Not to mention the combat/aim differences in enemy territory/quake (any) versus bf2 are astounding.

In enemy territory if you even though about flopping prone and laying flat to gun fight head to head, you would die in about .000005 seconds.

In the quake/et (wolf) series, movement (jumping, running, strafing) during combat equals survival, basically all the things people cried about (and had removed from) in bf2.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, I just hope people remember that the primary audience for quake wars will be the wolf/quake communities, and neither of them prefers slower paced "realistic" action.

I spent several years in both communities (both in pub and competition play) and I seriously don't think many of you (who constantly complain about "realism") will last in quake wars for more than a day or two.

Comment

Of course that most likely a possibility, However mods are for Realism, BF2 is also way off realism its an arcade game if you want realism go and play Project Reality.
                            The main draw to ET:QW is its flexibility and from SD's standards half decent coding.

Comment

@MrBenis

You seam to have stuck yourself on a disliking to ET:QW for no apparent reason. Have you ever played Enemy Territory? Its nothing like CS or BF and there arnt many "girly 14 year old boys playing" it either at least not compared to BF2.

GDI is not GDF, if anything its taken from one of the old si-fi movies.

What make you say they both have different player bases in mind? just because ET:QW has an alien race?

****, I don't even know what to say to your apparent lack of inelegance, not meaning to be rude but really you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Go play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory then come back and come back and repeat those questions.
                              Bro I don't know WHAT planet you been livin on, but I never said GDI was GDF. Fawk man, read what I say.

BTW, heres the only Wolfenstein I know:

Comment

Working...
                              X