Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2GB RAM, Verifying Client Data still takes forever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2GB RAM, Verifying Client Data still takes forever...

Just got my 2x1GB DDR400 sticks yesterday, fired up BF2 and verifying took like 30 seconds. Tried moving pagefile over to another HDD, shaved a little time off by still no go... However, I still cannot get to see the countdown timer before the game starts, I'm always 10-30 seconds in the game by then.

Is disabling pagefile safe? I'm scared that when I play halfway it tells me that I have no memory... Will it also help in the verifying client data part?

Re: 2GB RAM, Verifying Client Data still takes forever...

lol u are so despo that u even posted over here

Comment

Removing pagefile is not sposed to be good idea (but i'm no expert). Try following this optimisation guide:

Comment

CPU and hardisk also affects verifiying time alot what FSB and multiplier are you running and what cpu type ?

Is your HD IDE or SATA if SATA is it RAID 0 or a single drive

Also just because you have 2 gig of ram doesnt mean it will be any faster depends on your Timings I run 2-3-3-6 which is fast-ish but thier is faster ram out there

Comment

I know the magic trick, I can't believe no one has ever posted this thing that I am going to say, it increases my frame rate upto 15%, its not about loading bf2 faster but playing it smoother.

Go to your desktop icon and find the target, after the "C:/prog.../bf2.exe" add the line <space>-high, it should look like this ("C:/prog.../bf2.exe" -high) test your bf2 out and tell me your difference.

Comment

Originally posted by simio1337
            I know the magic trick, I can't believe no one has ever posted this thing that I am going to say, it increases my frame rate upto 15%, its not about loading bf2 faster but playing it smoother.

Go to your desktop icon and find the target, after the "C:/prog.../bf2.exe" add the line <space>-high, it should look like this ("C:/prog.../bf2.exe" -high) test your bf2 out and tell me your difference.
            Never seen that before...

Comment

Originally posted by simio1337

anyone tested this? what does it do?

Comment

Originally posted by trenzterra
                However, I still cannot get to see the countdown timer before the game starts, I'm always 10-30 seconds in the game by then.
                Verifying client data is pretty much the final handshake between your computer and the server you are playing on. Sometimes it can be the server you are playing on causeing the slowdown. But usually it is your computer that is the culprit.

Honestly the answer I've seen to shorten this time as much as possible, and I had to do it myself, is to Re-Install Windows. Then once windows is installed/all drivers updated/all windows patches patched/the PC tweaked up ready for gaming. Then Install and patch up BF2.

BTW I haven't checked the help topics of late, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretsch Drummer
                  anyone tested this? what does it do?
                  It makes BF2 run at a higher windows priority. This could work, but if you have any programs in the background, it might lag them.

Comment

Could also depend on whether your motherboard supports dual-channel RAM.

Comment

Just play on a ranked linux / linux64 server, no verifying client data!

Comment

hmmm
                        if I am not mistaken
                        verifying is PB making sure your files are not modified???
                        whatever
                        as others said above - many variables
                        cpu speed, bus speed, HD speed, ram speed

so make sure you do all the right things
                        make sure your ram is in the RIGHT slots on your MoBo
                        some times it is 1 1 empty empty
                        sometimes it is 1 empty 1 empty
                        if you do it wrong =- it will revert to singe mode vs Dbl mode
                        make sure your HD are defragged and NOT TOO FULL
                        make sure your swap file is BIG
                        (use the full 4096MB allowed for min/max)
                        turn off all programs

Comment

As I read somewhere on this forum, PB scans the memory for any known hacks / cheats / modified graphics drivers and only checks 1 or 2 files for modifications.

I don't think the verifying client data has anything to do with PB

Comment

I think it works differently. Someone will correct me if I am way off the mark.

When the client PC is loading the maps, what it is actually doing that takes so long is decompressing the zipped/cab files and folders. If your PC is quick at compression and decompression (PCMark can tell you) you will load quickly.

The verifying data part is not PB or the server either. It should be the client PC verifying that the decompression was successful and that all the files are present without errors. Zipping and unzipping files is notorious for corrupting files so they added the legnthy verification process.

Then again, I could be way out in left field...

Comment

I think the "verifying client data" checks the MD5 hashes of the games files against those in use by the server.

Since Linux / Linux64 servers will not have the same MD5 hashes as the windows computers connecting to them, this verifying client data check is skipped when you are connecting to Linux / Linux64 servers and hence the time to get into the game is shortened drastically.

This leaves the issue of the Linux servers being more open to cheaters..

Comment

Working...
                              X