Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got a new video card...X850

My first post, hi

I just upgraded my radeon 9700 to a X850 XT. I was able to play all right with my old card... but I thought X850 will make it heaven.... I thought wrong.

I saw virtually no performance boost, and now Im randomly (not often) get these lag spikes (not because of my connection) which happen when there is some action on the screen..... like a tank shooting something close to you or an artillery strike.

My specs

3ghz p4 HT
    2GB Ram
    ATI Radeon X850 XT

I did the delete cache trick, but it didn't help. What can be the problem?

Re: So I got a new video card...X850

Update your graphic drivers. I think the latest are Catalyst 5.12

Comment

I installed the card and downloaded the driver right away. Didn't even touch the CD drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by o2pb
        I just upgraded my radeon 9700 to a X850 XT.
        Do you have enough wattage in your PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by rtgbs7k
          Do you have enough wattage in your PSU?
          yeah, and even more importantly, how many amps do u have in ur +12v for the PSU?

Comment

Did you run driver cleaner before? If not you need to CLEAN THE OLD DRIVER and then install the v1.12 drivers. I have them with that card with no problems. I can run everything on high with 4xAA and get very nice FPS. Virtually no dropped frames (suttering).

Comment

the PSU needed by the 9700 is far weaker then the x850 XT

Comment

I got a 400watt PSU, ATI recommends 300+ so I should be okay. If it didn't have enough power, Im pretty sure it would't even run.

KingOfKhaos what do you mean by 1.12 drivers? You are saying I should reinstall the game?

As for the driver cleaner.... I don't see the point.... since its an ATI card and I had an ati card with the exact same driver, which I uninstalled before putting the new card in.

Is there a fps counter in bf2 like in hl2? cl_showfps 1 doesn't work :P

Comment

Originally posted by o2pb
                  I got a 400watt PSU, ATI recommends 300+ so I should be okay. If it didn't have enough power, Im pretty sure it would't even run.

KingOfKhaos what do you mean by 1.12 drivers? You are saying I should reinstall the game?

As for the driver cleaner.... I don't see the point.... since its an ATI card and I had an ati card with the exact same driver, which I uninstalled before putting the new card in.

Is there a fps counter in bf2 like in hl2? cl_showfps 1 doesn't work :P

If you GFX card doesn't have enough power it will still run, you will just see instability and drasticly lowered framerates.

He means 5.12 drivers.

Driver cleaner is still a good idea as the new card supports features that the old one didn't.

renderer.drawfps 1

Comment

Well, 400 watt should be enough juice. Its not like it lags like crazy every 5 seconds... it only happens every 2 mins or so.... but at worse times.... when a tank appears or something of that sort.

I ran the cleaner, and reinstalled the driver. Gonna also enable overdrive and see how it runs.

Comment

400w is not really what matters

check the sticker on the psu it should tell you the rails anything above 22a for the 12v rail will be good for x850xt

Comment

Yup it does.

Comment

well something is obviosly wrong. a x850xt is way better than a 9700.
                          "Crunch's First Officer"
                          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

lag when somehting appears has to usually do with loading those resources. How much RAM do you have? Try setting the textures and texture-filtering to low. Start there.

Comment

how u check how much watt ur psu's got?

Comment

Working...
                              X