My final memory question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My final memory question...

Ok so my Dell 8400 is running on 512..from what i here I need to run 2gig to have full settings.

So Dell homepage suggestion for my comp,,,

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200 / 533 MHz, Non-Parity, Unbuffered
    for 169.99 each...so roughly will cost me about 250 bucks.

or..

512 MB DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200 / 533 MHz, Non-Parity, Unbuffered

for 79.99..which I dont think woudl be wise since I think i got 4 memory slots with 2 filled with 256's...so Id have to pop those out and buy 4 512's..right?

SO I need opinion on best priced at best quality..I tired looking at Newegg.com, but wasnt sure what was good and what was crap.

Re: My final memory question...

just do the math lol, the 512x4 deal is better, and just sell your old ram i guess.

Comment

Argh, whatever you do don't buy from dell. Unless you have money to burn.

If you do have money to burn just send it to me and I'll burn it for you.

Comment

Yes, you can get ram cheaper on newegg.com..

Comment

Originally posted by Thirdeyepry
          Ok so my Dell 8400 is running on 512..from what i here I need to run 2gig to have full settings.

So Dell homepage suggestion for my comp,,,

for 169.99 each...so roughly will cost me about 250 bucks.

or..

512 MB DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-4200 / 533 MHz, Non-Parity, Unbuffered

for 79.99..which I dont think woudl be wise since I think i got 4 memory slots with 2 filled with 256's...so Id have to pop those out and buy 4 512's..right?

SO I need opinion on best priced at best quality..I tired looking at Newegg.com, but wasnt sure what was good and what was crap.
          as a fellow DELL owner, i highly suggest you go for a GiG strip.

I was Running a Dell Dimension 4700 pentium 4, 2.8 gHz, 512 mb of DDR2 RAM.
          but i bought 1 gig strip off of newegg for about $99.99 excluding shipping. so now, along with the 2 256's, i added in the 1 gig so im rolling with 1.5 gigs. Works like a charm, with a couple ( not all ) settings on High.

Then I ordered another Gig strip to make it to 2.5 Gigs of RAM, also am planning on switching out my ATI X300 series 128 mb video card for an ATI Radeon X9550 256 mb vid card.

Comment

I got 1.5 dont have any problems running on full

Comment

Originally posted by alecs36
              Yes, you can get ram cheaper on newegg.com..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145026

How about reading his post, he needs DDR2 533.

Not DDR 400....

Comment

Originally posted by Jmunee3o5
                as a fellow DELL owner, i highly suggest you go for a GiG strip.

I was Running a Dell Dimension 4700 pentium 4, 2.8 gHz, 512 mb of DDR2 RAM.
                but i bought 1 gig strip off of newegg for about $99.99 excluding shipping. so now, along with the 2 256's, i added in the 1 gig so im rolling with 1.5 gigs. Works like a charm, with a couple ( not all ) settings on High.

Then I ordered another Gig strip to make it to 2.5 Gigs of RAM, also am planning on switching out my ATI X300 series 128 mb video card for an ATI Radeon X9550 256 mb vid card.
                X9550? Don't believe there is such a thing. If you mean a Radeon 9550, then your going in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                  How about reading his post, he needs DDR2 533.

Not DDR 400....
                  damn me!!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                    Argh, whatever you do don't buy from dell. Unless you have money to burn.

If you do have money to burn just send it to me and I'll burn it for you.
                    Yeah that is what i was about to say, burn dell computer, start from scratch.

Make sure you get matching CAS latencies and generally the right type of ram to go with your other sticks, unless you take them all out then you can just get all of the same when you buy the new stuff.

Comment

169 bucks for 1gb of ddr2? WTF? That's a complete waste of money. You can get one of those for under 90 at newegg! Never buy from Dell!

Comment

Ok guys I trust ya..so Im gonna let ya guys do my shopping.

Firstly..Im gonna need memory as a Christmas present, 2gig minimum.
                        Think I got 2 256's in my 4 slots atm.
                        Heres my full set-up.

Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 Ghz.
                        3.19Ghz 512 RAM
                        GeForce 6800. (vanilla), my Nvidia control panel says "Navidia 6800 PCI express x16, 256mb, forceware version.

Dell says I need this type of memory to be compatabel with my 8400..

So me being a tech idiot, could someone steer me the perfect sticks to use..good price for good product, not bargain cheap stuff or top of the line that will rape my wallet. i looked at newegg.com, but I have no idea which manufacture or what to buy.

Basically I need someone to hold my hand cause I suck ass at this stuff.

Next step, prob after christmas is graphics card?..would that be my best bet?

SO far with my set-up nwo I can run BF2 lag free at lowest settings, I mean never a drop on lag, I can run any MMORPG lag free, and most other games...but for some reason Fear on full settings locks up for split seconds here and there, usually when I encounter mobs.

Comment

First off, your 6800 vanilla can be unlocked and overclocked to play the game on highest settings at 40-60fps. 2nd, There are user reviews on Newegg.com, use those for advice from people with the actual products. Sounds like Ram is about all you need, Maybe a heatsink for your graphics card once you overclock it and unlock the extra pipelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Dethred
                            First off, your 6800 vanilla can be unlocked and overclocked to play the game on highest settings at 40-60fps. 2nd, There are user reviews on Newegg.com, use those for advice from people with the actual products. Sounds like Ram is about all you need, Maybe a heatsink for your graphics card once you overclock it and unlock the extra pipelines.

The PCI-e version of the 6800 cannot be unlocked.

Comment

really? weird

Comment

Working...
                              X