Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am so confused about processors!?

Originally posted by Sniper_13
    the p4 can only have 32 bits processed at a time, the AMD 64 can have 64 bits process at a time which simply makes it better for gaming cause after all games do demand alot of processing. so go with the AMD its much better , btw i have the same on just make sure u dont get the clawhammer core cause u cant oc it that much
    Im afraid 64bit processing is not as easy as that. All it means is that a 64bit processor can hold 64bit numbers in its GPRs general-purpose registers which are very very big numbers. Sadly day to day programs and games struggle to use 32bit numbers. 64Bit processors are only really usefull for really intense mathematical models. Its always been known that AMD's 64bit was more of a marketing ploy cause people think bigger numbers mean faster performance.

AMD's shorter processing pipeline is good for processing randomly changing calculations such as games, but constant calculations such as video encoding, Intel's longer pipeline is better.

Comment

Intel and AMD have their strengths.
      As neo265 said, AMD are much better at handling games. If you build a pure gaming rig, AMD is the way to go. Intel is good at handling multple taks at the same time. Try looking up tests where multiple programs are run at the same time and see the difference. Tomshardware.com did a test on the dual core processors that blew me away. They ran two benchmarks at the same time. The intel was able to handle the extra load better than the AMD (by a significant margin), but when you only ran one AMD blew it away. I use Intel right now because I do lots of things like encoding while playing games. I love the versatility of it. I'm thinking that I may go AMD on my next computer. I dont think that I gave AMD a fair chance the last time i tried them out. I used the ones that first started to become popular, I think it was the thouroughbred cores, and they got way too hot and sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper_13
        the p4 can only have 32 bits processed at a time, the AMD 64 can have 64 bits process at a time which simply makes it better for gaming cause after all games do demand alot of processing. so go with the AMD its much better , btw i have the same on just make sure u dont get the clawhammer core cause u cant oc it that much
        Intel p4 do support 64 bit: http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9189912,00.htm

Comment

Working...
        X