New phone. What to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New phone. What to get?

So I'm looking for help at buying a new phone, but it would already be very helpful if you guys would tell me what phones you own and a review about them (if you like them or not, and why)
    Up until a few weeks ago I owned a Nokia N8 (Symbian OS) and I really loved it, It has been my all time favorite phone. Modern, really good looking (for my standards), fantastic camera (which was my favorite thing about it), sturdy and heavy, had never broken or gotten broken in all the years I owned it, not even the screen and I was always dropping it. Besides that It had a glass screen and not a plastic one (like many of the phones today) so it was super soft and responsive, and after all these years it barely wore out.

I already own different lenses for the camera, different tripods etc for the phone.. protection cases, underwater cases.. I loved that phone and all I would do with it.
    Problem is it got stolen, and that broke my heart . But it was already getting old that It didn't have an Android OS and that was starting to limit me a little bit, maybe if it had Android I could have located it with the existing software for it.
    So I'm looking for a new phone within the price range of 100~400 € that would have the characteristics (by order of preference)

1- Great camera (Better than my old nokia N8)
    2- Sturdy and resistant (I will still buy a case for it, but I'm always dropping my phones so I wanted the phone itself to be resistant)
    3- Android
    4- Good looking (I thought of Samsung, but all samsungs look the same with their round edges, and I don't like those round edges . I loved my nokias because of their square style)
    5- Good phone for playing some modern 3d games on it x)

Thank you all for your help!

Well,

The best phone i had and still have is the iPhone 4, before that all i ever owned were Nokia phones back when Nokia still reigned king supreme of mobile phone motherland! Then came winter 2010 and i was convinced that the iPhone 4 would be my next upgrade. I still have and operate that phone, it is still my main phone for 4 years running! I am not one of them apple freaks that wastes 500 pounds on a new iPhone every year! I have dropped it many times, all times was in case and not many scratches, in fact barely noticeable at first glance!

The iPhone till date is the best phone i have ever owned sincerely. What sucks about it is battery life and probably everything has to be synced in iTunes, i enjoyed the drag and drop from Nokia unfortunately that does not exist when takling about the Apple iPhone.

I hear many good things from the new Xperia Sony and Samsung Galaxy and Note but i remain true to the iPhone because i got a good thing going, its been in my use since Xmas 2010! and yes i am upgrading to when the iPhone 6 will be rolled out, i believe its been a good wait, God i hate these people that upgrade every year! lol

Comment

Right now, the ones that meet your criteria are the LG G3 (which is what I'm considering), the Galaxy S5, possibly the Sony Xperia Z3. The thing is, some more great flagships are possibly coming around September if you can wait a few more months. The M8 is also a great phone but the camera on it is absolutely horrible in comparison to other flagships.

The G3 is my current frontrunner but my Galaxy S3 can probably hold me over a few more months to see what the new phones have in store. The only negative I've heard about the G3 is the battery life isn't as great as the G2 but still fairly comparable to other new phones and certainly better than what my S3 can get right now. Plus something about it getting warm and throttling back the screen brightness, but I never have it at 100% anyway on my S3, just Auto. I doubt I'd go with the S5 simply because I'm sick and tired of the bloat of Touchwiz and the degree to which Samsung locks down their phones. The only bad thing I heard about the Xperia is that... its release in North America is kind of questionable. I honestly don't know jack squat about Sony's phones, only that some love them, others hate them, and their releases for both hardware and software often take a while to come out. And again, the M8 has a terrible camera with no OIS, which is stupid considering the M7 had OIS, and poor resolution.

But again, I'm personally waiting until September-ish for when I hear a new round of phones will start to be released. I can only imagine that the phones coming out then will be designed with Android L in mind and hopefully they will have learned from the issues that plagued these current flagships. IE: Just give us gorgeous 1080p display, with a great battery, a great camera, and next to no bezels. The G3 would have been perfect if they didn't add that unnecessary 1440p display that is the root of all of the issues it has.

Comment

Wow, some really good info here guys! thanks a lot! My brother owns a Samsung S5 but it's way too big for me, I want more of a pocket phone, and that one is almost a tablet!
        I also disliked that many phones, even 300€ ones have a plastic casing.. What? I know they are much lighter than my tough metalish nokia, but I'd really rather have a brick than have a toy..
        I will continue my research and should soon post here some update and results

Comment

The problem with metal casing is that they aren't always the best performers when it comes to radio and antennas. That's not even mentioning how the metal backed phones cannot be opened to easily access the battery or storage, which is a huge plus for phones like the S5, G3, etc. And while it feels premium to have a metal casing on a phone, it's also far more prone to showing damage. Plastic tends to not dent like metal.

Comment

Well, I seem to really like the Xperia Z. I also saw some leaked stuff about the Moto X+1 and it's quite interesting. I'm starting to think I will wait a while as you said.
            The biggest problem I have with these phones... G3, S5, nexus 5... is that they are quite bigger than what I wanted them to be. (and more expensive). They are almost like small tablets. I wanted more of a pocket phone, like my N8 was. I'd rather have a smaller screen but have a smaller, more sturdy phone.

Comment

Yes, I think many people like the round edge of the fone but it is so boring to me. It should be square to be more elegant and strong. It is better

Comment

I honestly don't know jack squat about Sony's phones, I seem to really like the Xperia Z

Comment

Working...
                X