New mouse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mouse!

I'm looking to buy a new mouse since my old trustful Trust MI2950-R is stopping to work.
    I wanted something with a design similar to this one (I'm right-handed), though i wanted something more towards gaming than this one. The thing is that most famous gaming brands are very overpriced and i wanted to find an awesome deal as i did with my 5.1 audio headset( which was from a Chinese famous brand, but not famous internationally so i got a top notch headset for a very good price).
    Don't misunderstand me because i am not stating i do not want a Razer or Roccat, I'm just saying that sometimes cheaper brands have products as good and/or better than expensive ones.

Other characteristics i was looking for was robustness, (my mouse has lasted for 5 years now) and buttons! Useful buttons for games! My current one has a total o 8 and the extra ones are all very useful!

Share with me your equipment and opinions!

Re: New mouse!

I have an MX 518 that I've had for quite some time now. Two side buttons that can be used in just about any game, plus the DPI changing buttons (by default, you can change them to other functions as well). I love it.

I don't think they make the MX 518's anymore though. It looks like Logitech has moved on to the G300, G400, and G500. Starts at $40 and goes up to $60 for the G500. They all look similar to my MX518 but with some extra functionality.

I also have a Razer DeathAdder. It doesn't feature the on the fly DPI changing buttons but does have the two side buttons and a higher max DPI than my MX 518. The two side buttons could be used to change the DPI and there is also some keyboard shortcuts IIRC that can change it while in a game.

Comment

I've had the G5 for a while, which is basically the game as the MX518 but in the G series. I love it, but you say you want a lot of buttons and these ones only have two. To be honest though, I never use the mouse buttons.

As Zips said, the MX518 is not being made anymore. I believe the G400 is the direct successor and is actually cheaper than it, but I've also read that the mouse feels cheap.
      Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Well I picked up a new MX518 midway last year for cheap (around $30 I think, which considering Aussie prices is a "Bloody Bargain") but I wish I knew that the Successor was actually supposedly cheaper... Though I did pick it up possibly on special or something.

Comment

I was looking at Amazon prices so they are flawed slightly. On Amazon, the MX518 is going for $70 and the G400 for $40. But a quick Google search is showing MX518's for $40 as well. The only complaint I am reading about the G400 (which I never knew existed before today) is that it is all plastic and doesn't have the metally top the MX518 has.

Comment

mine's also all plastinc. the Mx518 and the g400/g500 seem intresting because they are similar to mine in ergonomic terms. Now, do those come with drivers for you to switch what do the buttons do or something?

Comment

You use the Logitech SetPoint software to do that. I'm not sure whether they come with the mouse but it's a simple download from their website and the program works for all Logitech keyboards and mice. You can change what every button does and you can also change what levels of sensitivity each setting on your mouse has (the G5 has a total of 5 steps you can program ranging from 400 dpi to 2000) in different programs/games. Right now I have it set universal, but I assume you have higher steps of sensitivity for when BF3.exe is running than when you are just using a browser. Not sure though as I've never had a need to do that.

And by the way, that on-the-fly sensitivity changing is great. Since BF3 doesn't have different levels of sensitivity for different vehicles, I use it a lot. I use a low sensitivity for infantry, which makes it harder to aim in tanks. Now I just hit a button and I'm fine.

Comment

I do the same thing with the on the fly sensitivity change. Higher for vehicles. Medium as infantry, Low for sniping.

Comment

i also do it! though my mouse only supports two sensitivities. xD. But it's great for sniping, when i want to line up that shot i switch to a lower one.

I'm really looking forward to the g500. The previous versions do not interest me at all since the g5000 seems to have more of a palm grip and a bigger thumb rest. I searched a little bit on the G9 and i didn't find them very interesting. Now what about those little weights? Is it actually useful?Does it help? or is it just a worthless gimmick? i never used a mouse that supported that before so i guess i don't see it's use

Comment

I have a G500 and yeah, the weights do help. You dont have to use them, but I like a heavy mouse, so I use the heaviest weights. You can use none of them.

Some say its a gimmick, but you get a nice feeling mouse that you can adjust yourself.
                    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Weights are great. My G5 is very light without them and back-heavy. I like my mice to be slightly heavy, but not too heavy, and heavier in the front. So I have the front of the weight plate loaded with lighter weights. Feels great.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will be searching for deals with the G500 to see if i find something nice. If you still have some more mice you want to share go ahead xD

Comment

Working...
                        X