CSnation nerds! Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSnation nerds! Need help!

Hey all, I have a very strange request...
    You see my sister has this very big but unfortunately older model TV. The TV is say... 2000-2004ish and my problem is that I want to try and hook up my computer to it but the TV doesn't have any VGA socket although it does have a HDMI socket.
    I contacted a friend and he said I should buy a VGA to HDMI cable cord... So I called bestbut(hate them) and they told me I was crazy because such a thing doesnt exist for blah blah reason of something that won't read each other.

So I'm stuck... Can anyone of my favorite community website help me figure if there is a way I can hook up a PC to a TV without a VGA socket? PLEASEEEEEEEEEE thanks!

Re: CSnation nerds! Need help!

Doesnt you computer have an DVI output? As far as I can see by 30 seconds on google, DVI to HMDI requires a simple cable, while VGA to HDMI requires an actual converter box.

Comment

Only other way I can think of is through S-Video (s-video out from video card to s-video in on TV), but I would listen to Vreki first since S-Video drags the quality down to a blurry mess. It's meant more for casual gaming/SD videos and never meant for long-term regular use.

Comment

I wonder how well a cable will do this. Those signals are very different and I wouldnt be surprised if you dont end up needing a converter box in the end.
        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
          Doesnt you computer have an DVI output? As far as I can see by 30 seconds on google, DVI to HMDI requires a simple cable, while VGA to HDMI requires an actual converter box.
          If it's an older computer then it may not have a DVI output. But most modern ones do. I have four :/

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
          http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-...4257141&sr=8-4

I wonder how well a cable will do this. Those signals are very different and I wouldnt be surprised if you dont end up needing a converter box in the end.
          The reviews will answer your question probably
          Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1

The reviews will answer your question probably
            Yeah, reviews. Forgot about those.

Sorry Redd, you need this AND cables:

Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Thanks guys for your help guys! Unfortunately it seems to complicated to figured it out so I'm just going to forget about it! Dang that totally sucks I was hoping I'd get to play it on this old behemoth!

Thanks for all the fast reply, you guys are great!

Comment

VGA is oldschool

Comment

Originally posted by Reddink
                  Thanks guys for your help guys! Unfortunately it seems to complicated to figured it out so I'm just going to forget about it! Dang that totally sucks I was hoping I'd get to play it on this old behemoth!

Thanks for all the fast reply, you guys are great!
                  Its not that complicated:

IF (Red have DVI output)
                  THEN (Red needs simple cable)
                  ELSE (Red needs more expensive converter box)

The reason is that HDMI is a digtal signal that is based on DVI, so it is backwards combatible.
                  VGA on the other hand is an analog signal, so it needs to be converted to digital.

It is like the difference between a CD and the old tape recordings.

Comment

very good statement vreki, as always. Thanks for making me understand without saying "youre a dumbazz" lolz
                    I see, I think the bestbuy dood also said something about a converter... So you're right I think I'll go do more research"

Heres my old giant behemoth

Comment

Working...
                    X