Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide]How to remove Graphics card drivers properly

Uninstalling old Graphics card drivers and installing new ones

As a gamer having the latest graphics card drivers is essential in knowing that your graphics card is runnig at its full potential at that particular game. Having bad/unstable drivers can cause to crashes and artifacting in games and 3d applications. Trying to get rid of those old drivers is always something that most people arent very confident about. So i made this guide to help you.

Tools/Software needed

Download that ^^ And your new Graphics card drivers that you want to install.

Step 1
    "Start" Right Click 'My Computer' and go to Manage.
    Click 'Device Manager' and expand the display adaptors. Then Right click your Graphics card name and Uninstall, confirm the device removal.

Step 2
    Restart your PC. As it turns on and POST's press F8 to go into safe mode.
    Once you are in Safe mode run the Driver Cleaner Pro. For nvidia cards select nvidia, for ATI cards select ATI, ATI CCC and ATI WMD. Then start the cleaning. Once this is finished do it again! You cant be too careful and you want everything gone of your last drivers.

Step 3
    Once the cleaning has finished restart your PC and cancel out of the 'Found new Hardware Wizard' and navigate to the place where you stored the new drivers and install them. DONE.

Well thats it, Short and simple hope you find it useful when new graphics card drivers come out, and put it to use.

Drivers
    Here is the place to get the latest official drivers for nvidia and ATI.

Re: [Guide]How to remove Graphics card drivers properly

Really? All this time I've been using the add or remove programs uninstaller. Is that bad? :hmm:

Comment

You should use Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of them. Sometimes just uninstalling normally can leave behind registry entries which causes problems.

Comment

Yep, last time i didnt remove them properly games played fine but my 3dmark06 score dropped about 4k..Lol i had to clean out my old drivers first

Comment

Step 4

Get your chipset and ethernet drivers so you can get on the interwebz

Comment

Lol im not on the internet?

Ahh i know what that is..I think..I stopped Windows wireless configuration because i had to use my Edimax one to work the internet....

Comment

Originally posted by Hellsent
              [B][SIZE="3"] POST's press F8 to go into safe mode.
              Its not F8 on all PCs

Comment

Originally posted by Namakan View Post
                Its not F8 on all PCs
                I believe its F8 on computers running windows?

Comment

What about onboard graphics chips like intel? Does the cleaner work for them?

Comment

I dont know....Im not sure you would have to update them anyway since their onboard...So i doubt there should be a problem...

Comment

I has problems.

Comment

The good thing about the ATI drivers is the fact hat you don't need to delete your old driver when you're updating. You can easily upgrade the new driver over the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadath View Post
                          The good thing about the ATI drivers is the fact hat you don't need to delete your old driver when you're updating. You can easily upgrade the new driver over the old one.
                          Well, the point of this guide is that upgrading doesn't always work well. Ask Hellsent, he did that and he lost 4000 3dmarks until he did a full driver clean.

In theory it works, but it's best to get rid of old stuff as it can cause crashes and slowdowns (much like not cleaning a registry would).

Comment

Originally posted by Kadath View Post
                            Both ATI and Nvidia say to uninstall old drivers first in the installation instructions, but I've think I might have installed drivers for my 7300LE on top of another once.

Comment

I just know from myself and many many others that you usually don't get problems doing that with ATI drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X