Nvidia to ATi. What to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia to ATi. What to expect?

So I got a HD 3650. This is my first ATi card that I'll use for gaming. I've never really been a fan of either company, just whichever makes better cards for the price.

So what should I expect? How is driver support, etc? So far my only gripe is that CCC is selfish about putting its links on top of everything else, where Nvidia Control Panel would put it under paste.

^

Re: Nvidia to ATi. What to expect?

Look, there is absolutely nothing wrong with ATi cards at all. I am not a fan of either too. I am like you i just go with the best out there. The HD3650 offers up to i think slightly better than the 86GT.

Overall this card is fine for an entry level gamer me thinks. Driver support from ATi has been troublesome for meh in the past, with old ATi 9 series Radeon cards. I don't know about now though.

Comment

Make sure to get the new 8.5 drivers that were released the other day..and always make sure that you remove old ones before putting on new ones..

Comment

I had less problems with ATi then I had with Nvidia in the past (2 GPU's totaly burned, constant overheating problems). So everyone has their own experience when it comes to graphics cards, mine was terrible, and in order for me to buy from Nvidia now, they would have to make a card that twice as good as any card on the market.

Comment

Driver come out more often for ati, but i only had my nvidia sense March so i could be wrong

Comment

I say "who dares wins"

Comment

You can expect less frequent driver updates, that not necessarily a bad thing though. I had overheating issues when I last had a ATi card but that was the 9800 pro which was notoruious for over-heating.

I've got no real preference but as is, nVidia for me is superior top-end and mid-range. This was pre-3850/3800 series though. Still 6 and half a dozen to be honest.

Comment

I've had both ATi and Nvidia and they pretty much have their benefits. Um I just recently switched to an Nvidia but I know that whenever ATi releases a driver update, you should see a pretty good improvement in recent games.

Comment

I haven't had an ATI since my X600... so since then it's been all Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sliver
                    I've had both ATi and Nvidia and they pretty much have their benefits. Um I just recently switched to an Nvidia but I know that whenever ATi releases a driver update, you should see a pretty good improvement in recent games.
                    Thats true...They always have an improvement on current games..they even say it with the release notes..They say 15% increase in speed with the 38xx series in xxxxx this game...i like ati...and i hope that the 4870 will be cheaper than the 9900's so i can stay ati...

Comment

My expirence with ATI is that there hardware is more reliable, however the software updates are less frequent

Ive owned an ATI 9500 pro, and an x1950GT both have been excellent cards which stay cool and overclock well

whereas the Nvidia cards i have been a mixed bag some good and some bad

Comment

You should go with whichever you believe is best worth for the money you pay.

You can pay 300$+ for 8800GTX or something, but for 150$ you can get "insert card here", it may not perform at 100% of the 8800GTX, but for a small decrease in quality, the difference in price definitely outweighs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Merchant View Post
                          My expirence with ATI is that there hardware is more reliable, however the software updates are less frequent
                          Uh? You do know that ATI releases a new driver once a month don't you? A little more frequent than Nvidia that if you're lucky puts out 6 driver updates a year, not counting the leaked and semi-official betas.

Comment

The ATI cards I've had has never been top-range exactly... so I like my nvidia better atm

Nothing wrong with ATI at all but right now Nvidia has the better cards for top-mid range.

Comment

well price range wise ATi is quite good, ATi has their lovely 38s which i find rather good, and very affordable here in the UK, as well as its opposition the 88GT which is also well priced imo. ATi and Nvidia are both very good markets its just that ATi tends to be cheaper for a good performance as well. Anyways Nvidia and ATi are both good.

Comment

Working...
                              X