PSU Bottlenecking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Bottlenecking?

i already typed this thread.. (damn forum maintenance) so ill make it quick.
    I read that a 7600 gt requires 450w power supply (unconfirmed). i open my case, and my psu is only 240w max(if im reading it correctly). Killing my CP performance?

Re: PSU Bottlenecking?

No, but it could easily fry the psu and kill your entire computer.

Comment

look at the specs on the side of the power supply and see what the amps are on the 12volt rails.
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I ran a 7600gt on a 300 watt power supply and it worked fine. 240 seems too low though.

Comment

240?that seems really low to be running a 7600gt,id say 350 to be safe.hopefully it doesnt fry on you!

Comment

another example why psus on store bought computers today just arent up to what video cards want anymore.

Comment

Get yourself a high performance psu, ie Tagan, Hyper, CoolerMaster. OCZ, Corsair.

Comment

the thing is im scared of installing one, all the wires seem to be confusing... god fordbid i smash something.

And what would be a good buy? what brand is absoulely dependable... and im probably gonna upgrade my video card in the future, any recommendations? (for PSU, not vid card)

Comment

Thats Seriously could be frying ur pc, upgrade ur PSU!

350 - 400W should be good xD

try Ebay for a good priced PSU, dont worry about the rip offs..

i bought a grapahics card worked fine for about 2 hours xD

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
                    the thing is im scared of installing one, all the wires seem to be confusing... god fordbid i smash something.

And what would be a good buy? what brand is absoulely dependable... and im probably gonna upgrade my video card in the future, any recommendations? (for PSU, not vid card)
                    I had a 350W and my game just didnt run good, so i went to a 470W 5someting peek, and it runs great now. not enough power ya know can't be good.

there easy to install, usually 4 screws, a few plug ins, just order one to fit ur rig & it will make it easy.

here's where i bought mine http://www.pcpower.com/home/

Comment

Ok thanks for the input. I always think installing computer hardware is hard until I do :rolleyes.

Im thinking of a 600w psu, just in case i upgrade and it requires more power. How this one?

but how would I know if it would fit into my rig?
                      And how would I know if it has enough outlets to power everything inside?

Comment

check your motherboard PSU slot size, then match with a 600W PSU ( i think some correct me if im wrong)

Comment

Ok thanks for the input. I always think installing computer hardware is hard until I do :rolleyes.

Im thinking of a 600w psu, just in case i upgrade and it requires more power. How this one?

Meh, it'll be ok but you might want to spend more to get a better psu that will last longer than that ultra will.

check your motherboard PSU slot size, then match with a 600W PSU ( i think some correct me if im wrong)
                          No.

Comment

it should be fine, it has listed there all the pins *(i'll paste below) if you got normal sata drives i dotn see why it wouldnt, but i'd check the size though like SC said.

that link i posted above has ones for dell's , if i read your sig right you have a dell, ya might want to check there before you buy.

NEW! Ultra X-Finity PSU - Featuring FlexForce Cables
                            Breakthrough technology! Phenomenal power distribution. Easy to manage cabling system! Extraordinary airflow! This sizzling new Ultra X-Finity power supply features the innovative new dual rail technology for better power distribution. You'll get the smooth, trouble-free performance that's perfect for your powerful gaming system. The FlexForces' incomparable cables are dressed in a great looking titanium silver finish. Specially engineered cable design promotes easy cable management and 30% better airflow than ordinary cables. Simply route cables under the motherboard, behind drive bays... anywhere that gets typically unsightly power supply cables out of the way of airflow. Crafted to accommodate both AMD and Intel CPUs! 24/20-pin motherboard connection. 4-pin +12V Molex connectors. 4-pin floppy power connectors. PCI Express, SATA and 8-pin EPS connectors. Versatile. Dependable. Affordable. The Ultra X-Finity FlexForce ATX power supply.

Comment

I dont want any psu to break down or anything, i would like a good reliable one i could use for years. Could someone recommend one for my needs here? If ultra isn't so great. I would like to keep the cost to a minimum also. Right now i will open the case to confirm the wattage of my current psu.

Comment

Working...
                              X