socket 478 heatsink mod help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socket 478 heatsink mod help needed

I am trying to put an intel d865GLC motherboard into an HP pavilion case.

I don't want to remove the CD drive, so I can't put the stock heatsink fan in there.

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas as to what I could do as far as cooling goes.

Thanks.

Re: socket 478 heatsink mod help needed

You need to take the motherboard out to get the hsf in.

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic View Post
      You need to take the motherboard out to get the hsf in.
      You think??? The reason it's in there is to show how little room I have to work with...

I am not able to put the stock HSF in there because the cd drive is in the way.

Comment

I'm going to put this in tech centre.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
          I'm going to put this in tech centre.
          Didn't see that, thanks.

Comment

don't get clever, if you want to get it in move the dam,n cd drive and put it somewhere else or get a different case.

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic View Post
              don't get clever, if you want to get it in move the dam,n cd drive and put it somewhere else or get a different case.
              Meh. I just need to think up a way to mod the heat sink fan assembly.

The water cooling blocks would fit perfect, so I need to somehow take the idea of those.

Comment

Your seriously thinking about water cooling a 478???

What about sawing off some fins? Don't know how it would effect the cooling capabilities though.

Comment

Your seriously thinking about water cooling a 478???

What about sawing off some fins? Don't know how it would effect the cooling capabilities though.
                  Hell no, it doesn't need it, but the idea of the low profile design (that would fit right in the case as it is now) is what im after.

That would fit perfectly.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to do that without taking the majority of the cooling fins off, which would seriously hinder its cooling capabilities. Am i right in saying that socket 478's are Pentium models based on the Netburst Architecture?

Comment

You wouldn't be able to do that without taking the majority of the cooling fins off, which would seriously hinder its cooling capabilities. Am i right in saying that socket 478's are Pentium models based on the Netburst Architecture?
                      Hell if I know!

And my plan is to put a heatpip cooler like the gigabyte g power pro I used to have on it, that's now on my sempron 3100+ system that is currently in use.

That would work, except the fan would hit everything so I need a different HSF

Comment

I got one of those coolers free in a custom PC magazine competition. they are god awful. At full speed they sounds like a lorry.

Can you not mod the Cd-drive to enable you to put in a big cooler?

Comment

I got one of those coolers free in a custom PC magazine competition. they are god awful. At full speed they sounds like a lorry.

Can you not mod the Cd-drive to enable you to put in a big cooler?
                          Meh it was my first build. It's still a great heatpipe cooler, especially since it's multiple platform. I just put it on 5v instead of the adjustable cooler and it's a lot quieter. I modded it to suck air from the CPU and then I moded another fan into the side window to help suck that air out. From what I'm told, sucking the air off is better then blowing it onto the fins. I somewhat agree because if you feel a fan, there is more air flow from the sucking side then from the blowing the side.

I could just take the CD Drive out and either mod it into the bottom of the case, or just remove it completely but i want to keep everything as simple and stock as possible.

Comment

CPU cooler fans should always blow onto the Heatsink, never off.

Try putting the cd-drive cage at the bottom of the case.

Comment

CPU cooler fans should always blow onto the Heatsink, never off.

Try putting the cd-drive cage at the bottom of the case.
                              Well with 4 heatpipes and all those fins it really doesn't matter.

It would only matter with a stock heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                              X