New rig thread...again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rig thread...again..

Hey all, I made a thread similar to this bout a month and a half ago, and my parents pretty much turned down that whole deal, but its been a while and ive got some more money saved up. Just wanting to see if prices/tech has changed recently. my budget is around 1600-2k and id like a great machine that would last me..atleast a couple years..anyhow this is the only place i could think to come for a quick good response..

ty in advance..

So far what ive got in my head is a
    cpu: e6600
    mobo: evga 680i
    ram: 4gig muskin 2x2g
    vid: BFG 8800gtx OC
    hsf: thermaltake V1
    hdd: 2x raptorX in raid 0
    snd: X-fi
    case: P180b
    Psu: 600 wat w/e would run it.
    opt: nothing fancy got a dvd burner in this pc i can transfer.

Re: New rig thread...again..

Dude, dont go for the OC version of the GTX cards they are a rip off. The OC is very small so there isn't any noticeable performance gain and they charge a premium. Buy a normal one and OC it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by AFEDSLAYER View Post
      looks like standard high-end setup to me. couple of suggestions:
      1) "x-fi" sounds good. DO NOT BUY "X-FI" EXTREME AUDIO. It doesn't have an x-fi chip.

2) hsf fan: OMG! for $60 *&--&* dollars, it better say "thermalright" on the box
      Buy Thermalright SI-128 CPU Cooling Heatsink with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Fan 12 (AF12) Case Cooling Fan with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

out of stock, order here:

matter of fact, get the hs from them, too:

but you really don't need a $50-$60 to get good, quiet, solid performance:

I've got both the above setups, and the thermalright is slightly better both for dissipating heat and for quiet (thanks to the exceptional aftermarket fan) performance, but it can be a pain to install, and it's more than twice the price.

3) buying two raptors and running in raid is a waste of money, imho. you could get a 500gb (data) and stripe two 320's (seagate has a five year warranty!) for the price you'd pay for those loud raptors. or you could get a single raptor for programs, and stripe a couple for data/movies/etc. up to you though, i'm not h3ll bent on taking food out of WD's kids' mouths.

4) if you're getting an sli board, that means you're looking to run two video cards? if you're looking to run two video cards and you're buying an 8800gt oc, then you're planning on buying another? if you're planning on running two 8800gtx oc, then you're going to NEED MORE WATTS THAN 600W.

5) i've got a p180. they're nice, but they're a pain to work in. be sure you're willing to exercise patients; be sure you get a psu with long enough cables.

6) if you're running short at all for your budget, the 8800gtx oc is the first thing to drop. an 8800gts 640mb is more than adequate, and you could potentially run a couple of those in sli on a good 600w psu or thereabouts.

7) what monitor do you have? a extreme high-end gpu is largely wasted on a 17", 19" monitor.

8) do you have a good set of speakers? do you have an xp install disc or are you planning on joining the Paid Win Me Too Beta (Vista)?

Comment

I appreciate the the input guys, In response to my monitor size question ive got a 21" widescreen (xmas present) so that should be plenty adequite. And im not planning on geting a 2nd card anytime soon but i would think its worth it for the future upgrade options.I would probobly be buying another copy of xp eventualy as this pc will be used as a picture editor for family use, i use a headset and do have a decent set of speakers. And as for the raptors i had in the list, Would i see any sort of diference if i went for a larger lower speed drive?

Comment

Would i see any sort of diference if i went for a larger lower speed drive?
          striping raptors to me just seems a ridiculous excess unless you're paris hilton and you're throwing a get-out-of-jail lan party.

i've striped 8mb (cache) 7200 rpm single platter 160gb hd's before, and i noticed a nice bump upwards in my map loading times. i would encourage you to do some research via google on the concrete or vaporous advantages in games to:

1) striping data v. using modern (ncq/perp recording/etc.) hd's alone

2) 1 raptor versus 2 striped 7200rpm 16mb cache hd's

3) 2 raptors striped v. ^ 2 7200rpm 16mb cache striped

4) how number of platters affects noise, seek times, transfers, etc.

The downside? It will take you two or three hours to get a really good handle on what hard drive specs will make the most impact on your gaming enjoyment. The upside? You'll be an instant guru on the topic.

edit: You can start here:

Comment

If that is the same mobo I have then you have 4x ddr2 slots? I have 4 gigs pc8500 sticks on my comp (1gig each) and only have 2.8 gigs recognized on xp32.

So unless your planning on going to 64 which most people say not to, what is the point of paying an arm and a leg for those two sticks when you can buy dirt cheap pc8500 1gb sticks. That will really crunch your budget down.

Not to mention 64 bit is apparently slower somewhat in FPS and does not have good driver support I hear??? That is one of the only things stopping me from putting ubuntu 64bit on my storage HD...

Another number cruncher is your video card like said above. If your like me, you want the GTX but get it from EVGA. it's the cheapest one I can find out there and if that somehow does not tickle your eyes enough you can always "step it up" with in a few months.

EDIT

I forgot to mention about the antec 900 case. It is a very nice case with a lot of fans to keep your stuff cool. Maybe consider buying it?

The only thing I hate about it is that I want to install a 2nd CD rom drive and to do that with this case you have the option of 3 drives, 6 and or 9. I am already using up one bay so I would have to remove one my fans in another bay and install my drive. I don't know if it will mean a big increase in temp but the LED fans in the front are definately cool to look at so its out of the question lol. For you though however, it does not seem like it will be much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by System View Post
              If that is the same mobo I have then you have 4x ddr2 slots? I have 4 gigs pc8500 sticks on my comp (1gig each) and only have 2.8 gigs recognized on xp32.

So unless your planning on going to 64 which most people say not to, what is the point of paying an arm and a leg for those two sticks when you can buy dirt cheap pc8500 1gb sticks. That will really crunch your budget down.

Not to mention 64 bit is apparently slower somewhat in FPS and does not have good driver support I hear??? That is one of the only things stopping me from putting ubuntu 64bit on my storage HD...

Another number cruncher is your video card like said above. If your like me, you want the GTX but get it from EVGA. it's the cheapest one I can find out there and if that somehow does not tickle your eyes enough you can always "step it up" with in a few months.

EDIT

I forgot to mention about the antec 900 case. It is a very nice case with a lot of fans to keep your stuff cool. Maybe consider buying it?

The only thing I hate about it is that I want to install a 2nd CD rom drive and to do that with this case you have the option of 3 drives, 6 and or 9. I am already using up one bay so I would have to remove one my fans in another bay and install my drive. I don't know if it will mean a big increase in temp but the LED fans in the front are definately cool to look at so its out of the question lol. For you though however, it does not seem like it will be much of a problem.
              owning a p180, i would 2nd suggestion for antec 900. my case is...cough cough...prettier, but 900 is more functional and colder, although some folks have had trouble with the top spot running sli, if i recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo View Post
                owning a p180, i would 2nd suggestion for antec 900. my case is...cough cough...prettier, but 900 is more functional and colder, although some folks have had trouble with the top spot running sli, if i recall correctly.
                Well the case is more of a personal choice above anything else really... =P

Comment

Well ive taken all of your tips and all, this morning just went onto newegg and threw this list together, With all the mail in instant rebates im looking at 1638$ us. Let me know what ya'll think.

Comment

Well ive taken all of your tips and all, this morning just went onto newegg and threw this list together, With all the mail in instant rebates im looking at 1638$ us. Let me know what ya'll think.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...itle=New+rig+2
                    Wait until july 22nd, then get the q6600 for the exact same price the e6600 is now.

1. Get this gpu instead:
                    Buy EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card 768-P2-N831-AR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Cheaper, way better warranty, and you'll be able to step up to the g92 when it comes out around nov.

2. Get this psu:
                    Buy CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620 W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

A little more expensive, but a much better psu.

3. Right company, wrong type of ram:
                    Buy G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Cheaper, faster, and all around better. Uses the micron d9gmh (or however its spelled, its the really good stuff).

4.Hd and sound card are fine.

5. Get a better hs than that:
                    We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

10 bucks more, but is still one of the best heatsinks money can buy.

Comment

List has been updated, ty for telling me about the Q6600 price drop incoming. What do ya think about that case?

Comment

Its a good case, but when they say full tower, they mean it.

Comment

tis nice, + a good make

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. MatDef View Post
                            Its a good case, but when they say full tower, they mean it.
                            Yea, my case is curently an x-navigor full tower, im pretty sure i know what im getting into with sizes , the more room the better i guess eh =P

Comment

Thats exactly what I just built, except for only 1 raptor:

"Crunch's First Officer"
                              twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Working...
                              X