Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Core 2 Duo, what should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Core 2 Duo, what should I get?

Im in the process of completely upgrading my rig. Right now I have a intel p4 3.4 cpu. I was looking at buying a core 2 duo. My questions are: Do I really need a new cpu? What's the difference between a core 2 and p4? Anyone have any thoughts on some good deals? My price range is anything under $200.

Re: Getting a Core 2 Duo, what should I get?

I think the list of differences are endless since they are completely different architectures. A P4 uses the hot Netburst arch and Core uses Conroe. The main difference are:

1)A Core 2 Duo is dual core, whereas a P4 is not.
    2) The conroe architecture is significantly more efficient in terms of TDP and heat.
    3) Greater cache means more instructions, means greater power
    4) The best overclocking chips ever!

and many more.

Basically, if your into overclocking, go for a E6420. It has 4mb cache and is overclockable to at least 3.0ghz. if your not into OCing then go for ther E6600.

Comment

Or, you could get the e6300 like I have, and its crazy fast for the "low" end processor of the conroe line. I've also easily overclocked it to 2.13 ghz, the same speed as the e6400.

Comment

Yeah I got an e6300 too, very happy with it just need better cooling so I can oc it

Comment

you easily overclocked to 2.13 GHz? wuss

i've seen 3 GHz out of them on stock cooling

Comment

Sorry, i meant E6320. That has the same speeds as an E6300 but with the full 4mb cache. It can then be overclocked to whatever you want. I got 3.4 @ 1.325V with a Big Typhoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakg View Post
              you easily overclocked to 2.13 GHz? wuss

i've seen 3 GHz out of them on stock cooling

i dont have a need to have to overclock it that high, so im happy at 2.13, and it was easy.

Comment

I just got new memory and a graphics card... so it will be a little while, but thanks for the advice. And to think that I thought that p4's were the best. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayden-G View Post
                  I just got new memory and a graphics card... so it will be a little while, but thanks for the advice. And to think that I thought that p4's were the best. lol.
                  Yea, well they were a couple years ago lol.

Comment

Originally posted by minicoop503 View Post
                    Yea, well they were a couple years ago lol.
                    For a few months until AMD released their Athlon range with the killer 2200+!!!

Comment

I'm thinking about buying this one:

Buy Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 - Core 2 Duo Conroe Dual-Core 1.86 GHz LGA 775 65W Processor - BX80557E6300 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Buy Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 - Core 2 Duo Conroe Dual-Core 1.86 GHz LGA 775 65W Processor - BX80557E6320 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Double the cache.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post

Wow, I can't believe the prices of these things now. I bought mine when they were around 180-190, now they are at 165 for double the cache too.

Well, I guess you gotta pay to get the newest stuff though..

Comment

go with whatever is the most you can afford. The E6600 is a great CPU, but if you can afford it, get the E6700, and so on.

Comment

Working...
                            X