Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the summer heat causing my overclocked computer to crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the summer heat causing my overclocked computer to crash?

As you can see below I have overclocked my CPU. Until recently I didn't have problems with crashing. Ever since 1.3 I have been getting occasional CTDs, from the complaints I have read in these forums this appears to be a common problem. I am planning on getting a new hard drive soon so I will be doing a fresh install with a full 1.3 patch. However I also occasionally get a full system crash. Is this also a problem with 1.3 or can I chalk this up to a combined effect of the increased summer temps (I am in Arizona) and my overclock? When my computer reloads after the crash my temp is around 50 degrees C. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is the summer heat causing my overclocked computer to crash?

Heat and lack of power are your two main suspects.

Comment

Every version of BF2 has caused my video card to crash, which looks like a full system crash. That could be it.

Comment

The power issue was never a problem for me earlier. The new factors coinciding here appear to be the heat/1.3 patch. When I do a fresh install this should answer the question. I guess my central question is the following:

Does a system temp of 50 C explain a full crash?

Comment

get BIG fan lol may help did on my old comptur

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCaz
            The power issue was never a problem for me earlier. The new factors coinciding here appear to be the heat/1.3 patch. When I do a fresh install this should answer the question. I guess my central question is the following:

Does a system temp of 50 C explain a full crash?
            well my amd 3200 venice runs at 27 (at desktop) and when i did a alt,tab out of a game (bf2) it was 29/30 c

but i am using a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink & Fan

this may be helping me to achive those temps,are u using the stock cooler for youre chip?

if so i recomend u get a better heatsink.

i would not let my chip get close to 60 c (personaly)

if thats the temp ur geting in game then ur pretty close to that 60 c mark.

even worse if its 50 at idle ,becuase when u play a game it will go up 10c or more.

clock back to original speed and see what temps ur getting.

again if ur using the stock (amd special) cooler then i would not recomend overclocking.

hope this helps

Comment

Power supplies don't always die. They actually just start supplying less and less power at times causing failures of different devices. If you ever have a non specific gremlin problem of wierd errors, I always suggest looking at the power supply first.

In your case, the above fan suggestion is a good one. If you can aim a large fan into the open case to aid in cooling and if your crashes stop, you have your answer and your fix in one go.

Simon

Comment

As seen in my sig I am using a Thermalright XP-90 with Thermaltake SilentCat. Is the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink & Fan" better? I have additional fans that I have added for intake and exhaust. The room that my computer is in is a bit warm. We are getting 100+ temps in Arizona these days and I keep the house around 80F so this is not helping. I am going to monitor the heat situation and dial back the clocking if it remains a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

My computer idles at 40 C and goes up to 50 C when I play BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCaz
                  As seen in my sig I am using a Thermalright XP-90 with Thermaltake SilentCat. Is the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink & Fan" better? I have additional fans that I have added for intake and exhaust. The room that my computer is in is a bit warm. We are getting 100+ temps in Arizona these days and I keep the house around 80F so this is not helping. I am going to monitor the heat situation and dial back the clocking if it remains a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

My computer idles at 40 C and goes up to 50 C when I play BF2.
                  sorry i missed that bit of ur sig ,it was late

thats not bad temps considering how hot it is in ur area.

as mentioned in this tread it could also be a failing power supply/not giving the right power.

im not sure if the heatsink i reccomended will be better but it did get good ratings and best heatsink of 2006 from various sources(thats why i bought it) but its very big(not loud ) suprisingly light too.

im interested at what ur pc will run at a deafults speeds (temp wise)
                  give it a day as deafult play a few games ect and see if u get the system crashes that you have been getting.

purly for test purposes of course.

good luck m8. keep us posted

Comment

I'm also getting an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice. Any tips on good overclocking utilities, and how far it is able to OC?

Comment

It very well could be, even with proper ventilation an overclocked cpu running that hot can become unstable enough to lock up/crash/restart your computer. I would suggest either underclocking it a tad, run a better cpu heatsink or turn on your a/c.

I have a athlon 3200 oc'd from 2ghz to 2.31 and at idle I am sitting aronud 38C and at full tilt I never break 42C even in the summer heat and room temps aronud 80-82. At that point I usually flip on the a/c though .

I have an intake fan, 2 exhaust fans, my psu (pushes out a lot of air) and 1 fan near my sound card and video card. My gpu usually runs around 45C at idle and 52C at full tilt (it's a 7800gt oc'd as well ). Hope that helps.

Comment

My cpu is overclocked and I havn't noticed any problems due to heat, however I have to have my desk fan blowing into the open side of my case in the mid-day/afternoon to stop my overclocked graphics card artifacting. I suppose if you want to stop these problems, you just do your OC'ing in the summer.

Comment

Sorry if I'm hijacking, but anyone knows any good utilities to OC Athlon and 7600GT?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggie52
                            Sorry if I'm hijacking, but anyone knows any good utilities to OC Athlon and 7600GT?
                            Well to OC your cpu, you should use the bios, this thread will tell you most of what you need to know, and the progs you will need: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=139322

To OC your 7600 you just need the latest Nvidia drivers and coolbits which will unlock the ability to OC: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815
                            ATI tool and rivatuner are also useful.

Comment

Thanks for the good links!

Comment

Working...
                              X