Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8800GTX bf2 problem

Hi There

I recently bought an XPS 710 with a 768mb 8800gtx card in. I installed BF2 and tried to run it and it crashes out to windows before it even gets to the Dice/EA logos.

I haven't installed any game patches/additional graphics card drivers as I am still waiting for the internet to be connected so can anyone tell me if it is a problem that has been addressed in either a game patch or an nvidia driver.

Many thanks

Trevor

Re: 8800GTX bf2 problem

What are your full system specs?

It will most likely be a patch and or a driver issue tho.

Comment

XPS 710
      2.4ghz core 2 duo
      2 gb DDR 2 ram
      Nvidia 8800 gtx 768mb card
      no soundcard (i know some people have issues with soundcards in xps 710's)

Anything else you need to know?

I am currently downloaded patch 1.4.1 for bf2 to see if that solves the problem

Comment

i assume your using Vista?

Comment

no i am actually using windows xp home

Comment

Install some drivers for your 8800GTX

Comment

yeah i looked at that earlier but it doesn't list the 8800gtx. It does list the GTS twice though so do you think it could be a typo.

Comment

It supports the 8800 series, surely the GTX is supported,

Go ahead, download and install it, it wont hurt, your computer wont explode, if it doesnt work, you can uninstall the drivers through add/remove programs and install old drivers.

I'de be surprised if these drivers wouldn't work.

Comment

Right i have got bf2 working now.

Basically I installed bf2 then special forces and then the 1.4.1 patch. I ran the game and it runs fine. I then changed the graphics settings in the BF2 interface to:

1280x1024 resolution
                  all other settings to hi
                  antiscopic x 8

So everything is running at top end.

However when i run the game it just doesn't blow me away graphically. I have played the same game with an ati 1900xtx and that looked very good but that was running on a higher res monitor. At the moment the text doesn't look sharp, the shadows are quite edgy and the lighting seems a little bright and washed out. Could this be to do with my monitor or graphics card?

Does anyone know a good configuration for an 8800gtx card?

Also I have not updated the nvidia drivers so do you think that could help? I have avoided this at the moment as at least the game is running well and smooth but would love this game to look as good as I remember.

Trev

Comment

Your 8800GTX should be running full blown full settings with pure ace sharpness, I still don't understand why your hesitating to install the drivers.

Comment

Ill install the drivers later and see what happens

In terms of the "full blown settings" the nvidia control panel gives you the option to overide the application settings and set your own and gives you a whole host of settings to change such as quality, antiscopic antialising etc. Is it worth editing the settings here to try and improve the quality or will the ingame settings offer the maximum quality setup.

Trev

Comment

I'm not sure but I'de leave it at default, I believe it doesnt help the look or quality if you do, it might just make bf2 crash. I dunno, never tried it.

just go to full max settings in video options

Comment

Originally posted by Shrooms View Post
                          I'm not sure but I'de leave it at default, I believe it doesnt help the look or quality if you do, it might just make bf2 crash. I dunno, never tried it.

just go to full max settings in video options

I thought you were saying that i should install the drivers?

Comment

You should, I didn't say you shouldnt.

Comment

Install this driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_158.22.html

and also download ntune http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.38.00.html

once these are installed open ntune and turn AA up to x16 and AF up to x16 also change nvidia display from multi to single display

Comment

Working...
                              X