Whats up with Ram prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with Ram prices?

OK, so I was just looking at some ram on newegg, and its weird...

1 gig of ddr is about 60-70 dollars, but you can get 1 gig of ddr2 for 40 dollars. Lol, who would be dumb enough to get the ddr.

Also, a 2 gig kit of ddr2 is like 120, when you can get 2 1 gig sticks seperately for 80.

Now for a real question, I want to get more ram, and currently I have 1.5 gigs of ddr. I want to upgrade to 2 gigs, so i could either ditch the 512 stick of ddr and buy a 1 gig stick, which would be aroud 70 dollars, or ditch it all and buy 2 1 gig sticks of ddr2, which would be 80. What do you think?

Just felt like I should share that..

Re: Whats up with Ram prices?

prices are falling from the heavens my friend. Thats why I upgraded this week. Core 2 Duo E6600, $230 WHATTT?!?!, and u can get 2 gigs of DDR2 for like 110 bucks WHAT!?!?!, mainboards are still pricey tho if u want a good one.

Comment

yea, I just actually ordered 2 gigs of ddr2 lol.

Should be here sometime this week..

Comment

I would get 2 matched sticks, so your running in dual channel (if your mobo supports it). ie: 2 x 1gig.

and as far as ddr vs ddr2, you need to get what your mobo supports.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by signa
          I would get 2 matched sticks, so your running in dual channel (if your mobo supports it). ie: 2 x 1gig.

and as far as ddr vs ddr2, you need to get what your mobo supports.

Yea, thats what I ordered. 2 of the same 1 gig sticks. Also, my mobo supports both ddr and ddr2, so im all set.

Comment

Ram prices are dropping as DDR3 is on the horizon,

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto View Post
              Ram prices are dropping as DDR3 is on the horizon,
              o rly?

Comment

aye sometime this month, the early boards will be compatible to both DDR2 & DDR3

Bearlake bares self
                By Theo Valich: Wednesday 02 May 2007, 13:07

INTEL HAS brought forward the launch of its Bearlake chipset and, from May 27th to May 9th, one week from now. We talked over with several motherboard manufacturers and they are all ready for Bearlake launch, while memory manufactures are getting ready to crank up the production into real volume.

Intel informed NDA-signing hacks not to publish, benchmark results on May 9th - and not before.

The only problem that DDR3 faces is lacklustre benchmark results, since high-performing DDR2 memory has evolved and now there are even modules running at CAS3 at DDR2-800 settings.

We have had Geil PC2-8500/9600 MultiSpec kit for almost a year now, and it runs at 800MHz with CAS3, 3-3-9-1T settings on AM2 boards and 3-3-8-2T on 680i boards. 1T on Nforce 680i usually results in non-boot mode.

So, do not expect earth-shattering results with memory that has CAS6, 6-6-24 latencies at 1.06GHz. DDR3 will need to evolve to 1.33 and 1.60 GHz and only then the difference between high-end DDR2 and DDR3 will be visible.
                didnt get a link =/

Comment

prettyyy cool...

ddr2 should be good enough for me though..

Comment

yay for cheap memory.

Comment

my 2gbs of ddr2-6400 ram cost £180 in december, very expensive.

I think its still that expensive here!

Comment

on newegg, ddr2-6400 is as cheap as 55 for 1 gig.

I got 2 gigs of ddr2 667 for 80 bucks.

also, hopefully i will be able to o/c more with this new memory, 2 ghz is as high as i can go now...

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. S.A.S View Post
                          my 2gbs of ddr2-6400 ram cost £180 in december, very expensive.

I think its still that expensive here!
                          nope, £60+ for 2x1gbs from OcUK the value stuff is that cheap, but getting 4x1gbs is the same price as getting 2x2gbs

Comment

Bought this in december and its gone down by half (was £180)

Comment

Who's gonna buy DDR1? I dunno, maybe people with DDR1 mobos? There are still lots of us out there you know. What about us 2 giggers that want 4 gigs for Vista later this year? You think DDR2 is gonna work for us?

Comment

Working...
                              X