Video card vs video card....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card vs video card....

Sup guys?? Ive been wanting to play battlefield 2 for hell of a long time, and now I just have to decide what video card im going to purchase.

Well heres my story to fill you all in. I went to a local lan center because they had some special 10 bucks for like 4 or 5 hours or something like that. I go on there, and I looked through the games. Cs 1.6, World of warcraft, Command and conquer, blah blah blah, and I came across Battlefield 2. The Moment i seen it I did not want to play anything else. Needless to say, I spent all my time on BF2 rather then snoop around on the other games I thought I wanted to play. Now I already was building a new computer, but this gave me a rather new incentive because I wanted to play CS: Source. My friends mom who works at dell hooked me up with a free pentium 4, so i decided to build around that since I was on an extreme budget. Case, Motherboard, Ram all came, and I threw some old stuff from my other desktop into the new computer, and It runs pretty damn well, since im on it right now.

Now heres my problem. I still need to buy a video card, which is going to be my most expensive item, so of course i lurked around for a while. And now im in the 150$ range of cash, so i need to figure out which one im gonna buy after narrowing it down to 3 video cards.

This here XFX 6800xt looks pretty good. My favorite colors black and green!
    Buy XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card PVT42KUDE3 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Then I recently found this BIOSTAR 6800XT. Same card, some differences..
    Buy BIOSTAR GeForce 6800XT 512MB GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card V6802XA52 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Thanks extremepilot for this find. ATI x800GTO
    Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card 100131SL with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

The XFX version has a 300mhz core, 1000 mhz memory speed, 256 bit, GDDR3.

The Biostar version has a 325 mhz core, but only 700 mhz memory speed. Still 256 bit, but only GDDR2. But you also get 512 MB video memory, opposed to XFX's 256.

**forgot to mention..agp only..

I thought maybe you guys could give me some insight on this. Both cards are unlockable to 12 pipes (x800gto 16 pipes.) , and the biostar card is good with overclocking up to 800mhz memory I read.

3.20 GHZ P4 (HT enabled) - 30 GB Western Digital IDE** - Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 64mb version** - 1024 mb DDR 400 G.SKILL ram - 420 watt RAIDMAX PSU (** are the ones that are going to be upgraded soon or a later)

Appreciate the help guys.

Re: Video card vs video card....

Buy SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card 100106L with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Better then both of those. Am I right, or am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by extremepilot
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102688

Better then both of those. Am I right, or am I right?
      You would be very right

Comment

Forgot to mention about the whole AGP thing. Otherwise that would be a neat card to get.

Comment

I found a ATI 9600 Pro 256MB on Ebay last year for $120.00. Never had a problem with it since.

The only times I have had a problem with Ebay is when I bought complicated things such as a Laptop, which has tons of parts inside and it's very hard to figure out a problem if it occurs. At times the problem only creeps up months after you buy the product.

With video cards, however, I've never had an issue and never met anyone that has had issues. Video cards are fairly simple in design and if they are broken, you notice right away.

Anyhoo, a quick search brought up the following:
          http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=

You can get a really good card for a great price there. It's a BIT of a risk -- though I think it's worth it. If it's an item between $100 and $150 you shouldn't have a problem of getting your money back if something bad happens (which is rare with video cards, though I might have been getting lucky all these years).

EDIT: Regarding your original question, I'd go with the card with the most memory size. It seems that's what BF2 likes the most

Comment

If you can come up with an additional $20 you can get shader model 3.0 from ATI next gen over that x850xt:

HIS Hightech H180GTO256DVN Radeon X1800GTO 256MB $169 after rebate
            Buy HIS Radeon X1800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Ready Video Card H180GTO256DVN with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I'm a retard who didn't notice you asked for AGP only...why do I always miss those 3 letters when people ask about cards?

Comment

AGP is tricky but try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102002

My friend has it and he plays it on full settings pretty darn smooth.

May not last you so long, maybe untill you get a job

Comment

Thanks extremepilot ill definately consider that one.

Comment

Originally posted by extremepilot
                  AGP is tricky but try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102002

My friend has it and he plays it on full settings pretty darn smooth.

May not last you so long, maybe untill you get a job
                  Is that X800GTO faster than a X1600Pro 512?

Sorry need quick replay because I am going to RMA some of my stuff

HELP please.

Comment

The memory interface of your x1600pro is only 128 bit, and only GDDR2, though it is 512 MB. Also the whole pipeline thing with that card, only having 4 and all. I would think the x800gto would be better.

Comment

Ok thanks
                      So probably just go for that or the 6800XT
                      Buy XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card PVT42KUDE3 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

I would say save, you're better off saving another 300 and getting something that'll last you alot longer then getting something that'll last you one or two more game releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Giatrosis
                          I would say save, you're better off saving another 300 and getting something that'll last you alot longer then getting something that'll last you one or two more game releases.
                          Problem with that is I dont have any real source of income. I sold some things on Ebay and that's the only reason im in this 150 dollar price range. Also need to save up for this 100 dollar hard drive. So yeah, Im only on a budget here for something that will last me a while, like extremepilot said, until I get a job.

Also I figured if I buy the x800gto I'll have enough to buy Battlefield 2 as well. Anyone agree with this?

Comment

Well how old are you? i'm 16 and have a job at a local fast food joint and it gives me more then enough to upgrade my computer and buy other stuff.

Comment

Only 15 :-\ And even If, there is no where around here to get a job that isnt taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X