Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade performance analysis

Hi,

I've got a question. I'm going to buy a full new sort of system, but I would like to have your opinions in analyzing the rig's performance parts in BF2 and if possible BF2142

At the moment I'm running an:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    768mb DDR PC2700
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb AGP
    ASUS A7V8X-MX SE

With this rig, I'm running BF2 with 800*600 with everything on low. My fps doesn't even hit the 50's, it sticks around in the 40's. When having arty or similiar situations, the fps hits the 10's.

I'm going to upgrade my rig to the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    1,3GB PC2700
    BFG/ASUS GeForce 7600GT 256mb
    ASUS A8N5X

How will my performance increase? I really haven't got any idea, but I just want to run BF2 nice and smooth, without spending over €350...

Re: Upgrade performance analysis

See specs in my sig. I have a 7600gt and run 1280x1024 all medium except geometry on high and 2x AA. Just running around I get anywhere from 70-100fps. It will dip into the 30's but it is very rare.

1.3 GB? Is that a 1gb stick and a 256mb stick? If you are going to buy new ram anyway, I would just go ahead and get 2 sticks of 1gb value ram. (please no he should get low latency premium ram). He's on a budget here.

Comment

Nope, those are 2x 512mb sticks and 1 extra 256mb stick

That is 1280mb of RAM, shorted to 1,3GB.

But will my PSU hold it, a Codegen 400Watt ( I can't find anything anywhere about this PSU, if it is PCI-e compatible, etc!!! )

Comment

How can one get 2 GBs?

Comment

Get an ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE

Comment

thats a good rig, my friend told me that his 7600gt give him EXCELLENT performance in bf2.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowflx
              Hi,

I've got a question. I'm going to buy a full new sort of system, but I would like to have your opinions in analyzing the rig's performance parts in BF2 and if possible BF2142

At the moment I'm running an:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
              768mb DDR PC2700
              XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb AGP
              ASUS A7V8X-MX SE

With this rig, I'm running BF2 with 800*600 with everything on low. My fps doesn't even hit the 50's, it sticks around in the 40's. When having arty or similiar situations, the fps hits the 10's.

I'm going to upgrade my rig to the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
              1,3GB PC2700
              BFG/ASUS GeForce 7600GT 256mb
              ASUS A8N5X

How will my performance increase? I really haven't got any idea, but I just want to run BF2 nice and smooth, without spending over €350...
              Any reason your using PC2700? By default the A64s use PC3200, if you use 2700 you will have to run a divider. Not to mention you will not be running the RAm in dual channel with an odd number of sticks. I would suggest your drop the CPU down to a 3200 and spend the diffrence on RAM.

Originally posted by K8T
              Get an ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE

That is horrible advice...

Comment

thats good, because once i was running on 1.6 gigs of ram, and i only ran at single channel mode, (64 bit) not that im using 2gigs im running on dual channel (128bit)

Comment

Erm, pc2700 can be used by the athlon 64 isn't it? I mean, I don't have the money to spend on more RAM, so I though adding an extra 512mb piece of ram ( PC3200, but the default setting would be set to pc2700 because of the other RAM ) but in fact it shouldn't give any problems, I mean, I just want to change motherboard, put RAM in it and it should work ( Supports PC2100, 2700 and 3200 )

Comment

well im using 2 gigs of pc2700 ram, with my athlon 64 3500+ and everything runs smoothly.

Comment

Erm, pc2700 can be used by the athlon 64 isn't it? I mean, I don't have the money to spend on more RAM, so I though adding an extra 512mb piece of ram ( PC3200, but the default setting would be set to pc2700 because of the other RAM ) but in fact it shouldn't give any problems, I mean, I just want to change motherboard, put RAM in it and it should work ( Supports PC2100, 2700 and 3200 )

Yes it will work, but as I said you will have to run a divider, and you won't be running in dual channel.

Comment

If you dont upgrade your ram your whole upgrade will pretty much be a waste of money. The Front Side Bus speed is based on the speed of your ram, If you keep the same FSB you will see very little system performance increase. Yes your game will look a bit better because of the new graphics card but you will not be able to use it to its maximum potential. Everything is linked to the FSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
                          If you dont upgrade your ram your whole upgrade will pretty much be a waste of money. The Front Side Bus speed is based on the speed of your ram, If you keep the same FSB you will see very little system performance increase. Yes your game will look a bit better because of the new graphics card but you will not be able to use it to its maximum potential. Everything is linked to the FSB.
                          Not quite. A64s work a little differntly. Running a RAM divider won't affect the FSB speed (actualy A64s don't even have FSB, they have HTT).

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                            Not quite. A64s work a little differntly. Running a RAM divider won't affect the FSB speed (actualy A64s don't even have FSB, they have HTT).

Fair point, my bad.

Edit - If you use a divider you still wont get the same performance out of your system. The bandwidth the ram delivers would be smaller, thus giving a smaller throughput of information.

Comment

On July 23rd, AMD will cut prices for the AMD 64 Dual Core, in ranges of 35% to 50% and 'regular' AMD 64 about 20-30%. So if you waited just a little, you would probably save some money, which you could use on RAM, e.g 2x1GB sticks of PC3200.

See lil_jimmy_norton's post here;

Comment

Working...
                              X