Just built a computer and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just built a computer and

Everytime i start to play a game such as BF2, CSS and EVE (you might not know this but what ever). When i start to play these games there is somewhat of a high pitch kind of noise, Its hard to explain what it is but its comeing from (what i gatherd and kinda figurd out to be) the CPU heatsink/fan. Its kind funny actually,the Noise only seems to come when its at a moment were its a CPU strain likeing playing in a server or just looking at any of the Tabs when in BF2 like BFHQ or the server list. I kinda came to the conclusion that when my CPU fan is running around 2740 RPMS the noise is not there but when it dropes down to about 2700 the noise is there. Now i dont understand why it dropes when im playing a game but it does. Now what i am asking is could i be wrong and it be something else? Or am i right and is it just the way the fan shuld sound and work or is it faulty and i shuld return it. Its the Stock FAN/heatsink that came with the CPU. Any other questions plz ask.

Specs are A8R32-MVP Deluxe Mother Board. Dual Core 4800+ AMD socket 939 Processer, STock Fan/heatsink. Antec SmartPower 2.0 500Watt PSU X1900XT 2 gigs of XMS ramm. WD 120 GB HD. I dont know why i listed everything but there it is.

I also thought at first it could have been the HD or another fan or even the 1900 but its not, im 80% sure its not any of those.

Re: Just built a computer and

sounds like it MIGHT be the hard drive. My old Dell used to do something like that when I'd start a game or when I went into "My computer" too.

Comment

Your first step needs to be finding exactly where the noise is coming from. Open your case up, and listen very carefully. We really can't help you if you're not sure where it's coming from.

Comment

I mean there's really not a hole lot in a PC that actually moves. Hard drives, fans, CD/DVD drive...and that's really about it. I guess it could also be the PSU but I would think that would do it all the time and not just when you started the game.

Like Jimmy said though you have to narrow it down more. and once you do that you probably won't need us anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rha600
          I mean there's really not a hole lot in a PC that actually moves. Hard drives, fans, CD/DVD drive...and that's really about it. I guess it could also be the PSU but I would think that would do it all the time and not just when you started the game.

It doesn't have to be a moving part. Capacitors on their way out, or under strain, can make a high pitched whining sound. Could literaly be any CAP in his system, PSU, MOBO, GFX card...

Comment

Ok i cant really tell wether its comeing from the CPU heatsink/fan or the dam x1900, Its gotta be comeing from ether one. Is there a way better way i can pinpoint it?

Comment

Got another vid card to swap out?

Comment

Sadly i dont.

Comment

its probably the video card i have the x1900xtx and the fan on that is really loud. get atitool and manually turn you fan up to see if thats the noise you are hearing

Comment

DO u have a link for it? and how do i use this to manually turn the fan up with it?

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                      It doesn't have to be a moving part. Capacitors on their way out, or under strain, can make a high pitched whining sound. Could literaly be any CAP in his system, PSU, MOBO, GFX card...
                      yeah, I was just thinking any of those would be doig it all the time and not just when the game started?

anyway, here's a link to the ATI tool

Comment

Originally posted by rha600
                        yeah, I was just thinking any of those would be doig it all the time and not just when the game started?
                        Not necessarily, I had an old MSI board that would do it at random times.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                          Not necessarily, I had an old MSI board that would do it at random times.
                          Ahhh, good 'ole msi (the mobo maker from hell).

Comment

i have a loud problem in my computer to i think its either mt HDD or my PSU, but its just out of the blue when it happens. It sounds like a jet engine, i have not found out how to fix it either

Comment

Ok I have it installed now how do i put the fan speed up?

Comment

Working...
                              X