Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JoMaMaz Time of the Month: Let the Console vs. PC Battle REALLY Begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoMaMaz Time of the Month: Let the Console vs. PC Battle REALLY Begin!

In the latest entry in TGN's editorial series From the Editors' Desks, staff member and Total Call of Duty Site Director JoMaMaz starts a new series titled "JoMaMaz Time of the Month." In this first editorial from the new series, he discusses cross-platform gaming between the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Check it out:
    For years now, PC gamers and console gamers have argued over which platform is better than the other. Beyond that, console gamers argue with each other over which console is superior. I believe it is time for all of that to come to an end, and the technology to end those arguments is near.

With more games being released across all platforms, every gamer seems to be playing the same game, e.g., Call of Duty, yet it is on a different platforms such as the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, not to mention smaller handheld systems. The game will usually be more profitable for a certain system based upon the tastes of the gamers for that platform, or just based upon which platform has the biggest customer base. Either way, any gamer that is not playing on the 'top platform' feels shafted by the developer. Sometimes those feelings are justified, other times some people just need to change their diaper and eat some purée cheese with their wine. *Disclaimer - JoMaMaz does not promote the use of alcohol for infants* Continue Reading...

Take some time to read up and then discuss the editorial by posting your own opinions on this subject either in this thread or in the blog.

-- JoMaMaz Time of the Month is an editorial that will allow JoMaMaz's anger to be released once a month, if not more. The level of annoyance will be higher at some times more than others depending on my flow...of anger, but everyone who is a gamer gets frustrated with certain aspects of gaming. This editorial will rage about certain issues, and complain about others. And hopefully, through the process of getting the issues out in the open, progress will be made in the overall gaming world, and everyone will be a little happier because of it. Also, this MaMaz with a monthly is a man, thank you. The views of these editorials are the author's views alone and do not represent the views of the Total Gaming Network.

Re: JoMaMaz Time of the Month: Let the Console vs. PC Battle REALLY Begin!

Jojo, awesome article. But in the pic, shouldn't the pic include a wii? I know its in no contender, but It is a console.

But when you started talking about DLC and Custom stuff, its wrong imo. PC does have it better. Lets take WAW for example. The community for PC has made mods, that arent supported by consoles. Sure consoles get DLC, but so do PC's. You can't compare custom stuff and DLC because everyone gets DLC, but only PC really gets custom.

Oh and PC is better because I don't have to buy a new console every ___ amount of years when a new one comes out. I just need to upgrade

sure consoles can get custom, but they have to mod their system.

Comment

Thank you sir.

I debated whether to include the Wii in the discussion or not, and imo it did not deserve to be amongst these three. I have a Wii in the house and if I was to include it, I would probably have to include the PSP and DS also, if you get what I'm saying. I do not feel people would be able to properly compete with similar games on the Wii as they would with the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

I can see what you are talking about for the custom content, but that is where I would hope worlds would be bridged. If consoles had the ability to dl free mods and such, it would be no prob, but as I said in the article, "I would say the biggest obstacles standing in the way of this idea becoming a reality would be Microsoft and Sony." Just like I can't believe they charge to release DLC on the consoles of user created zombie maps on the PC...the artists better be getting a piece of that pie!

Comment

when a PC gamer is dominating in an FPS game for example, bam, that PC gamer is proudly representing his platform, and his argument that the mouse and keyboard are superior for control in an FPS is proven
        Doesn't console FPS usually have some sort of Aim Assist to compensate for the inaccuracy of thumbsticks?

I suspect that will be a hurdle, I cant see PC players accepting "Aimbots" when facing console players.

Comment

JoMaMaz there is just one major problem with your big dream coming true. A mouse has a much higher sensitivity than a controller therefore making it much easier for somebody on the PC to turn around and shoot someone. A person with a mouse can turn his player 360 degrees in half a second in combat. A console takes about 2-3 seconds. Do you not think that this is a critical part of COD? The mouse will blow away any console with its sensitivity.

Comment

Good point bear. The mouse is really better, and more hax. As a console player and PCer, It's really noticeable, but heres the thing. If your mainly a console player, then you get used to the thumbsticks. I think that if they make a cross platform game (which would be AWESOME) the devs need to limit the sensitivity on the mice.

Comment

Originally posted by Will
              I think that if they make a cross platform game (which would be AWESOME) the devs need to limit the sensitivity on the mice.
              So you agree that consoles are an inferior platform for playing FPS games? That seemed to be the whole point of the essay.
              And very few PC gamers would play a game that hobbled their ability to actually play. If console gamers would really complain about PC gamers being able to turn faster and shoot more accurately, they would forfeit right then and there. Game over.

Comment

Vreki you've hit the nail on the head. Yes, console games are coded with auto aim to compensate for the joystick controls. That currently is the main issue with crossplatform play in any accuracy based game (not any sort of twitch/spam fps).

What makes the mouse ideal for FPS's is that it is a 1:1 representation of the aiming system. 2D plane to 2D plane. Effectively, directly moving the crosshairs with your hand, not 'guiding' them with some system like a joystick.

(PS site regsitration is broken. Captcha is failing.)

Comment

I totally agree with this, mostly because then I could easily show just about everyone I know how hard I would destroy them while they're fiddling with their joysticks.

Comment

So, most agree that the mouse and keyboard is superior for FPS, but I'm sure there are great players on the console that could pwn the noobs on PC b/c some FPS skills such as thinking intelligently on the battlefield win no matter what platform.

Is there a way to somehow compensate for these differences, or should they be left as is? Console has auto-aim somewhat, but the PC players are able to move quicker with a mouse and keyboard. Hmm.

Comment

Cross play between X360 and PS3 would be rather nice as the differences between the controls are fairly small, but I guess Sony/Microsoft wouldn't let that happen.

Crossplay between one of the consoles and the PC is definitely possible, but there are more problems than just the fact that the PC has much more accurate controls. Console gamers sit much further from their TV, than what PC gamers do from their monitor. Console games as such has a rather small field of view, while PC games in general have higher FOV values. Some console ports like CoD4 has the same FOV as the console version, but to be honest, I haven't seen anyone prefer 65 over 80. I get tunnel vision from it, rather badly.

Thank god for 120 FOV in Quake Live

Comment

Good point. I nearly raged when I couldn't get the FOV in CoD:WaW to the normal PC FOV. Found a fix before the patch, thank goodness.

I like people's thinking on this by trying to make the entire playing field as far as possible. Some would just say, we're gonna pwn b/c we have these controls, suckas. Instead, a fair playing field would obviously yield the best results.

I really do want this to happen, so we would have to find a way to adjust for these elements, find the perfect game (CoD makes sense) to use across the diff platforms, and of course...get the "companies" of these platforms to agree. Imo, that last part seems to be the toughest part. Any ideas on how this could be a win-win-win situation where the companies might see a profit to support it?

Comment

"A fair playing field" WOULD require some form of auto-aim for the consoles. I can't see any other way apart from seriously nerfing the PC. Take a look at Shadowrun.

Comment

Working...
                          X