If You're Paying $60 for Madden 10 - You're a Sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You're Paying $60 for Madden 10 - You're a Sheep

We're back with our latest editorial today from our ongoing series From the Editors' Desks. This second editorial from staff member Stu tackles (no pun intended) the reasoning behind why consumers continue to purchase the annual release of Madden Football, and if you do, you may be a sheep. Check it out:
    Ah -- summer is coming to an apex, and just over the horizon the lines are forming for an eagerly awaited rite of passage into fall... the release of the annual Madden game. For years, people line the streets and stores for the release of a game that by all rights, is a step away from DLC you could get for 800 MS points on the Xbox Marketplace. So I thought - what is it that convinces so many that this game is worth your hard-earned $60 every year? The answer I thought up was; roster updates? Continue Reading...

With what seems to be little updates to the gameplay mechanics, why do you think consumers continue to buy the Madden games every single year? Be sure to take some time to read up and then discuss the editorial by posting your own opinions on this subject either in this thread or in the blog.

Re: If You're Paying $60 for Madden 10 - You're a Sheep

:shakehead: Madden is the same thing each year with a different roster. That's why i just play the demos. Same thing each time.

Comment

My views on this:
      • EA stopped innovating when they gained a monopoly on the football market by buying up the NFL, NCAA, Arena Football, and even ESPN licenses. It also allowed them to charge $60 rather than $30 or $20 back when they had to compete with 2K (which many think surpassed Madden).
      • Blatant advertising is here to stay in videogames and in real sports; it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
      • The NCAA Football series has made even fewer changes than Madden over the years; NCAA 10 is no exception.
      • Madden retiring really has no affect on the relevance of the game.

I have heard mixed things about the demo. If most of the bugs/glitches and such are fixed by the final version, then it could be a huge step in the right direction. If not, there's always 2k5.

Comment

Originally posted by Will
        :shakehead: Madden is the same thing each year with a different roster. That's why i just play the demos. Same thing each time.
        The only time I have ever seen a significant change in a sports game is from FIFA 06 on the consoles to FIFA 07, where they added physics to the ball which created all new gameplay.

Comment

I've never really been a fan of most sports games so it's been easy for me to make the decision not to empty my wallet every autumn for the latest and 'greatest' itteration.
          It does come across as a complete rip off as someone on the outside.

I suppose there is only so far devs can really go with a concept that is bound by something that already exists. There isn't anywhere that they can push out and create anything that is truly innovative.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugerdog
            My views on this:
            • EA stopped innovating when they gained a monopoly on the football market by buying up the NFL, NCAA, Arena Football, and even ESPN licenses. It also allowed them to charge $60 rather than $30 or $20 back when they had to compete with 2K (which many think surpassed Madden).
            • Blatant advertising is here to stay in videogames and in real sports; it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
            • The NCAA Football series has made even fewer changes than Madden over the years; NCAA 10 is no exception.
            • Madden retiring really has no affect on the relevance of the game.

I have heard mixed things about the demo. If most of the bugs/glitches and such are fixed by the final version, then it could be a huge step in the right direction. If not, there's always 2k5.

I'd say that focusing efforts on putting advertising in every conceivable part of the game experience detracts from what may have been time better spent improving the gameplay overall.

As for NCAA - that is a different topic altogether - I chose to focus on Madden.

Disagree with Madden retiring... Madden hasn't been relevant as a sports figure for years, why would you make a game with him as the lead sponsor if you will. Would you make Earl Weaver Baseball nowadays? Most people don't even know who Earl Weaver is/was.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
              Disagree with Madden retiring... Madden hasn't been relevant as a sports figure for years, why would you make a game with him as the lead sponsor if you will. Would you make Earl Weaver Baseball nowadays? Most people don't even know who Earl Weaver is/was.
              They keep Madden's name on it for the same reason they put Call of Duty back on the Modern Warfare 2 box:

Brand recognition

Comment

Originally posted by lewdis
                The only time I have ever seen a significant change in a sports game is from FIFA 06 on the consoles to FIFA 07, where they added physics to the ball which created all new gameplay.
                The jump from FIFA 97 to 98 was rather big though, FIFA 98 is still fun and there's surprisingly few differences from that and the latest FIFA game. :laugh:

Comment

If you're actually into the real life sport of the game being released, you do want the new rosters and slight enhancements; however, if you're not, you probably could just buy a sports game every few years or whenever they make enough changes for your liking. Fifa 06 World Cup was great imo, but I didn't buy 07, tried 08 and thought it was crappier, but I've had a blast with 09. I'll be getting 10 b/c they're actually changing up some of the gameplay and improving it. Also, to get my money's worth, I'll be buying it on the PS3 instead of the PC this time so in case 10 isn't that much different from 09, then at least it will be for me b/c the PS3 version plays much differently than the PC version imo.

Overall Stu, I agree with what you have written, but as others have said, the "Madden" title is their for recognition, it IS the name of the game. In fact, some gamers later down the road may think Madden is some noun that they do not know the meaning of lol.

Comment

Basically, you need to be a hardcore sports fan to really get a sports game.

Comment

Thank god Konami poses some threat in the soccer department.

Comment

Working...
                      X