Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editorial: Left 4 Dead 2: Hey Valve, Why Not An Expansion Instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorial: Left 4 Dead 2: Hey Valve, Why Not An Expansion Instead?

We're back with our latest editorial today from our ongoing series From the Editors' Desks. This newest editorial marks the debut for our staff member Sela. She examines one of the most heated topics in the gaming world right now, Left 4 Dead 2, and discusses why it should be an expansion. Check it out:
    So what’s up with Left 4 Dead 2 anyway, other than the fact that the acronym (L4D2) sounds very reminiscent of a certain famous Star Wars character? Valve decided to (rather quickly) develop a sequel to their hit co-op zombie-killing game Left 4 Dead. Ironically, the biggest news about the game isn’t the actual game, it’s how far the fans have gone to boycott the new sequel. Their complaints focus on the striking similarities between the two games and the perceived lack of change / improvement. As of this writing, the L4D2 Boycott group on Steam’s website numbers around 40,000. Continue Reading...

Do you think Valve should have taken the content from Left 4 Dead 2 and created an expansion to the first game? Or are they justified in creating a sequel already? Be sure to take some time to read up and then discuss the editorial by posting your own opinions on this subject either in this thread or in the blog.

Re: Editorial: Left 4 Dead 2: Hey Valve, Why Not An Expansion Instead?

Maybe I’ve just been playing a bit too much Diablo II again, but the amount of content they’re adding in qualifies it best for an expansion rather than a full release. As far as we’re aware, Valve is not redeveloping the engine, they’re simply building off the original. In fact, most of what will be added is content – four new characters, five new scenarios, numerous new weapons, and a couple new Infected. The code improvements that players will notice right away are a new gameplay mode, improvements to the AI Director, and tweaks to some of the previous Infected. Does that sound like a whole new game to you? Or more like a large set of extensions to the original?
    If that is true then it sounds too me like the amount of content is the same as in the original L4D. So why not the same price?
    It might be the same engine, but havent various other engines been reused in full-price games with just minor tweaks?

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spawndemon
    Do you think Valve should have taken the content from Left 4 Dead 2 and created an expansion to the first game? Or are they justified in creating a sequel already?
    Maybe the should consider introducing an "upgrade" option in steam, where owners of the previous game get an discount. That should rule out any arguments about paying twice for the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
      Maybe the should consider introducing an "upgrade" option in steam, where owners of the previous game get an discount. That should rule out any arguments about paying twice for the same engine.
      I would probrably get if if this were the case actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo0by
        I would probrably get if if this were the case actually.
        Yea more people would including me.

Comment

I would put some thought into it, and consider it, if something like Moobys idea was implemented

atm however there is a 0% chance that I will buy this game, having wasted 25-30 quid on the first one and finding it severely lacking

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
            I would put some thought into it, and consider it, if something like Moobys idea was implemented
            Moobys idea?!?! Dont make me call my lawyer!
            Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
            however there is a 0% chance that I will buy this game, having wasted 25-30 quid on the first one and finding it severely lacking
            Same here, it was interesting in the beginning, but when I returned after a break I realised that people had memorized the maps and turned it into a rail-shooter. And your team-mates vent bananas if you didnt follow the optimal path.
            A shame, it had potential.

But the question isnt specific to L4D, if an "expansion" has the same amount of content as the original game, is there anything wrong with releasing it as a full-price game?

Comment

I don't see why releasing it at $30 like Crysis Warhead wouldn't work. People complained about 2142 being a $50 mod of BF2, and it had a new setting and gamemode.

Comment

Working...
              X