Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editorial: Can Gaming Parents Influence Their Kids to be Gamers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorial: Can Gaming Parents Influence Their Kids to be Gamers?

We're back with our latest editorial today from our ongoing series From the Editors' Desks. This newest editorial marks the debut for our staff member Stu. Having children of his own, he discusses how being a gamer can and should mix in with kid's lives. Check it out:
    My gaming pedigree, if you will, runs a long way back. About 30 years back to be exact. That's longer than most of the people who read this editorial have actually been alive. Now that I am closing in on my 7th anniversary of turning 29, I look back at those days and wonder what was it that drew me to that first Commodore PET and its tape drive of wonder? Was it my dad or mom, who had no gaming interest at all, that helped me move in that direction or was it something that I learned on my own? Now that I have kids of my own who are constantly bombarded by gaming, what side do I take as a parent and what side do I take as a gamer who wants to pass on what I have learned? Continue Reading...

For other gamers out there who happen to have children, how does your gaming affect them? Do you encourage them to experience gaming or is it a hobby you don't want to consume your kids? Be sure to take some time to read up and then discuss the editorial by posting your own opinions on this subject either in this thread or in the blog.

Re: Editorial: Can Gaming Parents Influence Their Kids to be Gamers?

I've thought about it quite a bit (although I'm only 22 and in no shape to have kids). I completely agree with you that the kids are the most important thing. However, I would definitely enjoy it if I was able to game with my children, whenever that happens.

Great editorial and I would like to hear more about this in the future.

Comment

I got a Wii solely for the purpose of playing with my kids. I already have a PC for the types of games I like so the Wii is for things like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, my four-year-old daughter loves those two. My two-year-old is more into Dora the explorer because the controls are easier for her little hands but she'll learn.
      I know my oldest got into games because I like games. It started when she was really little and wanted to hold a controller if I was playing. We cut the cord off of an old, broken PS2 controller and she just hit buttons and moved the sticks. For a few days, at least. Then she realized that when I moved things on the controller, things happened on the screen. The jig was UP! So she started playing Mario Kart 64 when she was about a year old.
      She's still really active, and might be starting Kindergarten a year early, so I don't think gaming has screwed her up so far. I guess we'll see.

Comment

the only time my parents were ever involved in gaming was when I got my mom to play Driv3r on PS1, and when I talked her into playing against me on Mario Tennis on N64.

Asides from that my father has no interest, he has watched me play and will comment on the game but that's it. Funniest thing he ever said was "I use to be able to do that" when looking at me playing Assassin's Creed as I climbed buildings.

Comment

This is a good article by the way, though I didn't bother to post first time around as I didn't really have anything else to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Innocent Bystander
            I got a Wii solely for the purpose of playing with my kids. I already have a PC for the types of games I like so the Wii is for things like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, my four-year-old daughter loves those two. My two-year-old is more into Dora the explorer because the controls are easier for her little hands but she'll learn.
            I know my oldest got into games because I like games. It started when she was really little and wanted to hold a controller if I was playing. We cut the cord off of an old, broken PS2 controller and she just hit buttons and moved the sticks. For a few days, at least. Then she realized that when I moved things on the controller, things happened on the screen. The jig was UP! So she started playing Mario Kart 64 when she was about a year old.
            She's still really active, and might be starting Kindergarten a year early, so I don't think gaming has screwed her up so far. I guess we'll see.
            thats exactly the point - it doesn't have to be detrimental to play with your kids and get them into gaming. I know that is what has happened to me and my oldest so far. I have kids around the same age as you and I will show them about gaming and if they decide its what they want to do, then I switch into parental mode and make sure they don't get overloaded with it.

Thanks for reading and commenting !!:wee:

Comment

This reminds me when i was in a heated game of call of duty, then I had to go to the bathroom for business, and when I came back, my dad was playing :awes2

Comment

Played bf1942 with my dad on lan a few times, he found me playing it one day and had a go while I was out and really loved it. He plays singleplayer a few nights a week. I guess its a good way to let off steam, and have a bit of fun with your kids.

Comment

My dad is a military enthusiest and since most of my games are combat games he sometimes watches me. I do wish sometimes that my dad would get involved that way my brother, dad and I can possibly have 3 player lan games. those would be :awes

Comment

Working...
                  X