Busted Analog: Gamer Girls Arent Special Anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Analog: Gamer Girls Arent Special Anymore

In the latest entry in TGN's editorial series From the Editors' Desks, Dairuka tells us why gamer girls really aren't that special anymore. Check it out:
    Flashbacks of childhood fill my mind with silly misogynistic fables about the perfect woman. She had to be beautiful, intelligent, as well as a gamer. Back in the day, I used to believe that it would only be a silly dream. Gaming was so geeky in the mainstream’s eyes, that I never thought it’d be possible to meet a woman who also gamed as vigorously as I did. Now here we are, nearly fifteen years later from the heyday of the Nintendo Entertainment System. While I’m still a chauvinistic jerk, the world of gaming has changed drastically. It seems that here in the present, we’re well past gaming’s induction into mainstream culture, and we’re moving on to a second Golden Age where female gamers are everywhere with absolutely no signs of the demographic’s growth slowing. They are well on their way to becoming the majority among MMORPG players, with females already taking up 40% of the total population according to the BBC. Console gaming is also no taboo among girls, especially with hardcore female gamers proudly filling up the tournaments, leagues and ladders all over the world. All you need to do is Google a certain clan by the name of PMS to understand my point. Continue Reading...

Take some time to read up and then discuss the editorial by posting your own opinions on this subject either in this thread or in the blog.

-- Busted Analog is an editorial series meant to ventilate some of the more frustrating aspects of gaming, or to just poke fun at games. Whether it's a problem with publishers, developers, gamers or the games themselves, you can be sure to read about it here in the weekly to monthly updates. Just remember that the opinions you read here are the author's alone, and they are not representative of the entire Total Gaming Network.

Re: Busted Analog: Gamer Girls Aren’t Special Anymore

Kotaku thinks I'm a Gamer Girl.

Despite women's documented surge in gaming, "somehow, gamer girls retain their aura of mystery," writes Dairuka Sutain. "Gamer girls are not special anymore. Take them off the pedestal."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Kotaku Article: "Gamer Girl Says Get Over Gamer Girls"
    Despite women's documented surge in gaming, "somehow, gamer girls retain their aura of mystery," writes Dairuka Sutain. "Gamer girls are not special anymore. Take them off the pedestal."

Sutain believes two types of misogyny are at work in the Gamer Girl stereotype - the first is condescension, that if women aren't less skilled at popular games, they're at least less serious. The second is the ridicule of men who are less worthy performers or competitors in games with female co-players.

Although as a white guy, it rarely, if ever, happens to me, I can understand how a marketing stereotype presuming to speak for my experience would be off-putting, to say the least. But that's how marketers operate, reducing things to symbols and then attaching a value to it.

The issue of online behavior is something that will be persistently disappointing, however, to anyone expecting better of gamers. Patronizing or misogynistic behavior, like racist or homphobic comments, isn't going to go away because of well written arguments or appeals to character. It hasn't gone away, fully, in other settings, has it?

Comment

well .... TBH i did too at first....
      your avatar looks kinda fem :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Crrrazzzy
        well .... TBH i did too at first....
        your avatar looks kinda fem :salute:
        I've been using this Avatar ever since I was working for Ubisoft back in 2003, when they made me the Herald of Carnage for an MMORPG called "Shadowbane".

It was put up as a response to an unhappy fellow, who thought it would be fitting to call me a 13 year old girl merely because I gave his clan bad press. Needless to say, I thought it was funny enough to keep. :laugh:

Plus it's hypnotizing. Do not stare directly at the catgirl.

Comment

Working...
        X