Editorial: The Importance of Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorial: The Importance of Gaming

In the latest entry in our editorial series From the Editors' Desks, Dairuka explains how gaming has helped him cope with the stress of life, and wonders why the media is so quick to blame gaming for any wrongdoing.
    It’s difficult to read any news that has to do with a child’s untimely end as a result of poor coping skills. Often I find it aggravating when these news stories contain headlines or snide little snippets referring to the video game culture as the main influence that lead these troubled people down their path of self-destruction. Everyday my heart goes out to the parents of the poor souls, and everyday my mind strains to understand the reasoning politicians, lawyers and so-called psychology experts come up with to pin the blame of these tragedies on video games.

Perhaps I wouldn’t take it so personally if I didn’t owe so much to the world of video games. While I won’t go into details, I’ve gone through a countless number of tragedies throughout my life, and I have to admit my coping skills haven’t been all too good. Were it not for the simplistic distractions provided by deep video games with enthralling story-lines and intuitive gameplay, I might not be here today to write this article. Having recently given up hard alcohol, I find myself without a vice to lean on as a crutch. This means I’m relying entirely on hobbies to keep myself sane through tough times, and with it raining so much in British Columbia, it’s not always feasible to go outside and throw a basketball around. This means video games have become my most reliable venting outlet. They have become my crutch in place of the abundant number of vices that are far more capable at ruining my life. They have become a guardian angel during the tough times.
    Continue Reading

Be sure to leave your thoughts and comments here.

-- Dairuka is a longtime contributor to the Total Gaming Network. When he isn't busy writing articles for his local newspaper, he can be found sitting on a frozen lake, trying to catch some fish.
Working...
X