Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why the World Is Not Ready to Go Download Only

Originally posted by Roberts91
    The world is moving constantly. If you can't keep up with it. Then you are going to slow the rest of us down. You can either die here, or you can stop crying about how painful it is, get up, and go while you still have the chance. Seriously the kind of people who are not ready to go download only are the weak. It's harsh but just forget about them and let them die. There gonna get us all killed
    I don't wanna die. :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts91
      The world is moving constantly. If you can't keep up with it. Then you are going to slow the rest of us down. You can either die here, or you can stop crying about how painful it is, get up, and go while you still have the chance. Seriously the kind of people who are not ready to go download only are the weak. It's harsh but just forget about them and let them die. There gonna get us all killed
      Shenanigans. With companies folding left and right, like Flagship and others folding and closing their doors, I can't trust that the game will be playable in a few years if it's download only.
      I don't think Steam is going anywhere, but what if it does? Do you really trust them with $1000+ worth of games? I only have ~$250 in Steam games, and I'm worried a little. Other companies have folded and left consumers high and gameless.
      I, and plenty of other PC gamers, prefer having a DVD in-hand to install a game. It will almost always be faster than downloading and installing that way. And we usually don't have to worry about someone crapping the bed and us losing all of our games that way.
      If they really want to push us towards digital distribution, they need to charge less for the online version. Downloading a 4GB+ game takes a long time and counts against throttling and download caps. So we pay for internet AND the game itself. Why pay the same price and get no manual, disc, or case? And not even have a reasonable level of comfort that the game will still work in a few years? Screw all that. Do you really want to lose your games because you forgot your "childhood hero" or can't remember an e-mail password you made 8 years ago that you lost when you re-installed Windows?
      This is coming from a guy with decent cable internet. I downloaded the 498MB COD:WaW patch in <4 minutes. Maybe I'd old-school, but I still don't trust pure Digital Distribution.
      Then again, I was mocked for not jumping on Vista. Maybe, since I still have sound in W@W and PB works just fine, I was justified in sticking with the old, worn out XP?

Comment

In today's local paper. The stimulus packaged passed and broadband is in the works.

U.S. Rep. Zack Space said Friday he was happy the final version of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act included about $7.2 billion in funding to expand broadband Internet access to rural areas.

The issue was one of the 18th District representative's more pervasive ones on the campaign trail when he ran for the seat that represents several central and southern Ohio counties, including Ross. It also made up a key component of a series of community town hall meetings conducted throughout his district.

"Broadband efforts will put people to work immediately building these networks," Space said Friday. "And it will make a significant investment in the long-term economic viability of our rural communities."

Space had feared broadband funding would take a severe cut in the final version of the bill, and headed up a letter signed by 28 of his colleagues asking the funding remain a part of the bill.

"Every day that goes by without access to high-speed Internet is another day our rural communities fall further behind," Space said. "This effort is every bit as vital as the rural electrification efforts of the last century.

"I am confident that this funding will provide a major shot in the arm to our region."

Comment

Working...
        X