Clear All

• RISK: Factions

RISK: Factions

Release Date: 23 June 2010
    Reviewed On: 30 June 2010
    Developer: Stainless Games/Powerhouse Animation Studios
    Publisher: EA Games
    ESRB Rating: E10

So...RISK. It's risky. Never really risque. Just good ol' fashioned RISK.

Unless you think RISK is an incredibly exciting game, you probably play it for the same reasons I played it as a teenager-turned-twentysomething geek: the ability to systematically break down your opponent's will turn by turn, all while claiming to have started your master plan in a bunker outside Australia. The luck of the dice roll determines not only whether or not they keep a country, but a continent. And let's face it, when you lose Asia to some jerk with a small army in Alaska, your ego tends to deflate faster than a young teen whose mom just walked in on him looking at naughty bits on the internet.

Oh yes, I take RISK seriously. Very seriously.

I've been following the development of RISK: Factions since it was announced in January and I'm not ashamed to say that it had been one of my most anticipated titles of 2010. With such a succulent bounty of Xbox Live Arcade games being offered this summer, I have a feeling that RISK: Factions is just the scouting party for a very fun army of games.

Story
    It's RISK. There is no story unless you want to make one up. The only stories that have ever existed around a game of RISK is that a couple of kids were bored and had a spare 12 hours to waste, and thus a game began. What Stainless Games has done to replace a suitable story for the old board game is create a very charming and surprisingly funny animated through-line. You'll begin the game as a very stereotypical American "go get 'em" General, and eventually end up finishing the campaign as a Yeti.

Yes, a Yeti.

The campaign can be completed in as little as 2 hours if you know RISK well, but I can't imagine it taking anyone more than 4 hours total to run through what is basically a glorified tutorial for all of the game's rules and strategies. The factions in the game's title are all dealt with in the brief but satisfying campaign. You'll wander through controlling humans, then Cats, Robots, Zombies, and then the great Yeti.

Gameplay:
    In RISK, the game is relatively simple to learn but difficult to truly master. The art of attacking with your right hand while keeping your opponent watching your left is difficult in any game. However, in RISK all of your armies are on the screen out in the open, just waiting to be interpreted by your opponents. If you can outwit your rivals and take over the entire map, then you've won. It sounds simple but truth be told it is a daunting task for any player.

In any game of RISK you'll start off with X number of armies and occupy X number of territories on a map. Each turn you will draft more army men, attempt to take over other territories, and try your luck at holding your ground against rival armies. All of these encounters are held to chance however, with a pair of dice deciding who lives and dies. The element of chance is what gives the board game its title, and rightfully so. Every battle can end in victory or defeat, no matter the size of the army. With a handful of custom maps and the classic map made available to you, you have countless possibilities for how a game can turn out. Compound that with the number of people you can play with online (where the game truly shines) and you've got a game you could quite possibly play forever.

Graphics:
    Do the graphics look familiar? They should. Powerhouse Animation Studios took care of the visuals, as well as the two Penny Arcade games before. The vibrant and illustrious rainbow color palette works very well for the game. Whereas some animators might have tried to give this a very serious layered look, RISK looks like something Gabe and Tycho would draw in their comic strip. It works well and counters the violent behavior in a hilarious way.

Nuke a Kitty? You can cross that one off your bucket list.

Audio:
    To be honest, there's no much to write home about here. There's a default track playing underneath each battle but you'll be so tuned into what is playing out that you won't want to be distracted by a glorious soundtrack. The appropriate bells and whistles are apparent during the game though, and each faction has their own set of sounds to distinguish them from the other. RISK isn't about the music though. The only sounds you should be concerned about are the sounds of your enemies dying, and the obligatory death sound effects elicit chuckes. To me, that is enough.

Multiplayer:
    Here's the meat and potatoes of the game. Any RISK player worth his salt will no doubt jump into the online component as soon as they complete the campaign. You've got a great variety of rules to choose from and a handful of boards to try and rule. Games can start with anywhere from 2-5 players and the host migration feature is almost a necessity. In my playtime I didn't get through an entire match without somebody quitting early. Luckily this doesn't affect the game too much and you aren't taken back to the lobby. The game will go on like nothing happened.

RISK supports custom maps and leaderboards, along with ranked and player matches. After playing around 10 games or so, I discovered no problems and nary a glitch to be found at all in the online code. For a game that will have the majority of its audience play online this is very important and Stainless Games delivered in spades. Sure it is just an online form of the board game I know and love, but that doesn't mean I won't plunk dozens of hours into it online.

Summary:
    What it boils down to is this: for 800 Microsoft Points, if you've ever played RISK and loved it then you absolutely need this game in your collection. Not only is it a fun and new take on RISK, but it is a faster, more organized way to present the game to a new audience. If you're new to the game, try downloading the demo. Just give it a chance to sweep you off your feet. There's already a great foundation there, but the new whimsical take on it really heightens it to places extraordinary.

Story: 8/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Audio: 7/10
    Multiplayer: 10/10

Total Gaming Network Rating: 8.5

Reviewed by ChristianOfTheWired for Total Gaming Network
Working...
X