Reviewed On: Nintendo Wii
    Also Available On: PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, PSP
    Developer: Red Fly Studio
    Publisher: Atari
    ESRB Rating: Everyone 10+ - Comic Mischief, Fantasy Violence
    PEGI Rating: 6+ - Violence, Fear
    OFLC Rating: PG - Mild Themes

Intro:

Many years ago, back in the NES era, Ghostbusters' films were wowing audiences across the globe. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the video games. Poor controls, graphics, story, gameplay, and anything else that could've been bad added up to some terrible memories. Fifteen years later, Atari has brought the old franchise back. Should you be whipping out the proton packs, or start screaming in fear?

The Ghostbusters' team assembles once again to do battle.

Story:

The story of Ghostbusters: The Video Game is set two years after the second film. You play the role of a new, fifth Ghostbuster, whose job it is to test out all the new equipment they come up with. The team receive a call to go free a hotel from a haunt. After capturing a few ghosts, they are informed that they Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man has made a return. Rushing to the top of the building, the new recruit defeats Stay-Puft, rescuing Dr. Ilyssa Selwyn. Dr. Selwyn follows them back to headquarters, where they are further briefed by a former EPA official that they should check out the Gozer exhbit at the hotel. From here, you follow a story that delivers on all fronts. Bringing tension and comedy at just the right times, all the while providing a deep enough story to keep any fanboy entertained.

Gameplay:

It should come as no surprise that this feels like a third-person shooter more than anything. Replace shooting targets with capturing ghosts and it is the exact same. Now, Metroid and The Conduit aside, the Wii has had very few titles deliver on a good shooting mechanic. This would make Ghosbusters a very lucky exception. Looking over the recruit's shoulder, you simply point your Wii remote wherever you want to shoot, and press B to fire the proton pack. However, capturing ghosts isn't just as easy as pointing and clicking. Wrangling a ghost into submission begins by targeting the intended ghost, wearing it down by firing your proton pack at it for up to thirty seconds, and then you go through a series of quick-time events before finally being able to capture the poor bugger. My only complaint here is that the quick-time sequences feel a little unnecessary and serve only to make it a longer process.

Someone sure can't wait to eat...

As previously mentioned, you need to first find your ghost before being able to capture it. Finding a ghost requires two things: firstly, the PKE meter, and then actually locking-on to it during your fight. The PKE meter is a strange feature in the sense that sometimes it can't tell the difference between a ghost and your foot, while other times it can lead you to the exact drawer you need to find. While it's nice that it works most of the time, the amount of time you need it combined with how important it is that it works properly makes it more of a nuisance than anything.

Luckily, the targeting system is much more efficient. By using the C button you can lock-on to ghosts, objects, marshmallow, and doors without ever losing focus. This becomes especially useful when dealing with a ghost who can fly around the screen much faster than you can move the analog stick.

The concept of tracking a ghost, wrangling a ghost, capturing the ghost, and repeating could certainly turn into a monotonous game. The folks at Red Fly side-stepped this problem by throwing in several other objectives. From experimenting with new equipment, to charging generators, and blowing up chunks of Stay-Puft residue, I never became overly bored from what I was doing. This was helped by the wide-range of ghosts available to be tracked down. I need to take a second and acknowledge the authenticity put into the game, most notably the inclusion of the end-screen from the original NES game that shows up on computer monitors. That was one of the best Easter Eggs i've seen to date.

Even ghosts get to keep their weapon of choice.

While the 360 and PS3 versions receive online multiplayer game modes, this has been dropped from the Wii version. Instead of battling it out online, you and a friend can team up to play the entire story in co-op mode. This is a nice little touch doesn't quite make up for the lack of online support, but it does add more depth to the product.

Graphics:

One of the main differences the Wii version of Ghostbusters has from the PS3 or 360 is the art style. While some might complain that Atari is giving us a cartoony look because it's on the family-friendly Wii, I admire what they have done in finding a style more suited to the system's capabilities. Though not all-together true to life, the main Ghostbusters models resemble their real-life counterparts to a good enough degree. Granted, you might get Bill Murray confused with Leisure Suit Larry, but who hasn't?

As far as other models go, humans look a little dated, even by Wii standards, but the ghosts remain impressive thanks to different effects added to them. Though not always ghosts, boss battles are also very nice. You can see damage being done to your opponent over time, a rarity in a Wii title. Don't get me wrong, Ghostbusters still has its faults; Choppy animations, blurred textures, and the occasional off lighting effect are hard not to notice.

Teamwork is a necessity if you hope to succeed.

Audio:

Fans of the series can rest easy as all your favorite voices are present. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Raymis, and Ernie Hudson all reprise their roles. The script is fabulous, bringing back all the comedy you expect from the series. The score is also well done, providing all the classic tunes you would expect, most notably the main theme itself.

The audio department might, however, be my biggest gripe. While the script does a wonderful job of capturing the spirit of the series, one character grows very tiring, very quickly: Bill Murray. Yes, he's a funny guy. Yes, his character makes jokes. But why, oh why, did he have to always be talking? It seems he always has something to add to any conversation, and it never adds anything positive. The constant chatter and lack of original jokes became very unnerving towards the end of the game.

Controls:

I already touched upon how well the controls work. Picking up objects, zapping ghosts, focusing on enemies, and simply running around are all implemented with no faults. It just seems that this new recruit was born without hands, as he never wants to pick anything up. Instead of picking up objects like a normal person, you use your proton beam to lift objects and move them around. While it might sound simple, this is a game that doesn't support Wii MotionPlus. The WiiMote, for some reason I do not know, becomes overly sensitive anytime you have an object floating in front of you.

Using the proton beam to its full potential.

Before you tell me I'm being too critical, go try and fit a battery through a door using the proton pack and see if you can get it done in under twenty seconds.

Summary:

Finally, someone has come along and created a Ghostbusters game worthy of any affiliation with the series. Red Fly should be commended with what they have done here, reviving a dead franchise in a huge way. After spending many hours playing this to finish the main quest and collect all the cards, I'm ready for a second round. Save for a few small flaws, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is undoubtedly one of the most enjoyable experiences on Wii.

Total Gaming Network Rating: 8.6/10

~ThQp
Working...
X