Team Fortress 2 Items from Rift and a Lovely Update Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Fortress 2 Items from Rift and a Lovely Update Tonight

In addition to a somewhat large update for Team Fortress 2 tonight, Valve has also decided to show off their latest promotional tie-in with Rift.

But when we sent out our latest promotion--Rift, the upcoming MMO from Trion Worlds--we were puzzled when Scout sent it back, unopened. We gave him a call.

"Hey, man," we said. "We were wondering why you hadn't opened--"

"Are you frickin' kidding me? Another tie-in. My apartment's still filled up with crap from all the last ones."

[Sounds of rummaging.]

"Like this. Ear buds. What the hell am I supposed to do with ear buds? Play Sarah McLachlan at a guy until he gets so sad he dies? Look, alright, I'll open it, but I am done with this crap. Brown hat anna bat, that's my new motto. Simple, clean, eas--oh my GOD what is this beautiful thing?"

"It's called the Sun-on-a-Stick," we said.

"Holy crap, this is so friggin'..." [Sounds of swinging.]

"Did this come from hell? It did, didn't it? Awww, man. It's like what the Devil uses when he plugs up his toilet or somethin'."

[Sounds of burning flesh and screams.]

So that was that. We're hoping Steam customers who pre-order Rift by March 1st will have a similar reaction. You'll get two exclusive melee weapons in Team Fortress 2, the Sharpened Volcano Fragment and the Sun-on-a-Stick. Additionally, we're adding a permanent Team Fortress 2 achievement that grants players a redeemable code for an equally exclusive (and terrifying) headpiece in Rift, the Well Spun Hat.

The two items are available today for Team Fortress 2 owners and all of those who pre-order Rift before March 1st. For those looking for the full list of tonight's changes, simply look below!<!--more-->

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2M)
    - Further improved engine handling of server queries. This includes changes Alfred has been talking about recently.

Team Fortress 2
    - Added Rift promotional items
    - New items: Sun-On-A-Stick and Sharpened Volcano Fragment.
    - New achievement: Riftwalker
    - Updated several more models with optimizations and new LODs.
    - Fixed seeing a partial health bar in the upper left corner of the spectator menu.
    - Fixed the control point progress bar not being aligned properly when using cl_hud_minmode 1.
    - Fixed the The Essential Accessories hiding the Scout's hat/headphones.
    - Updated sounds for the Brass Beast.
    - Updated the Scottish Resistance stickybombs to always glow if they will be detonated by a right-click, including the stickybombs under the Demoman's feet.
    - Changed default crosshair to be more opaque, like the custom crosshairs.
    - Fixed some missing surfaces on the bottom of the Pyro's mask.
    - Fixed the assister's name not being listed in the Fish humiliation and kill notices.
    - Fixed the Force-a-Nature not drawing correctly in the character loadout screen.
    - Engineers who hit teammate's sentry guns with their wrench now get kill assists from that sentry.
    - Made the Jag gift wrappable.
    - Fixed seeing a badge on the player when a noisemaker is equipped.
    - Fixed particle effects on the Hustler's Hallmark.
    - Added FCVAR_DONTRECORD flags to 'bind,' 'bind_mac,' 'unbind,' 'unbind_mac,' and 'unbindall' so they can't be recorded into a demo (fixes having your keys changed when you watch a demo).
    - Updated Cp_Granary
    - Added a new entrance to the mid Red/Blue ramp rooms.
    - Clipping, lighting and perf improvements.
    - Tournament mode HUD fixes
    - Fixed seeing an empty alert tray under the stopwatch timer.
    - Fixed a bug where the time for the tournament mode stopwatch wasn't being displayed.
    - Fixed the countdown when both teams are ready always reading "0 seconds".
Working...
X