MOH Must Sell "At Least Three Million Copies" for Sequel to be Considered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOH Must Sell "At Least Three Million Copies" for Sequel to be Considered

According to a recent article in the New York Times, if EA's upcoming Medal of Honor sells fewer than three million units, there probably won't be a sequel. This is according to Greg Goodrich, the game's Executive Producer.

Electronic Arts is no doubt hoping that Medal of Honor will make it a lot of money. Video games have become astonishingly expensive to produce - the entrance fee to develop a big-budget, mainstream video game is now north of $20 million, and Medal of Honor probably cost significantly more than that to make. New games usually sell at retail for just under $60, and selling even a million copies of a new game is no longer considered an indication of success. The best insight I received into the size of Medal of Honor’s budget, during a visit in June to Electronic Arts in Los Angeles, came when Greg Goodrich, the game's executive producer, told me that if the game doesn’t sell at least three million copies, "I'm not going to be able to do another one."

The New York Times article spans an impressive and very informative six pages. It covers everything from the controversy stirred up by the game, developer insight, development of the title, and expectations for the game and series.

For those not in the know, the three million unit mark may be a bit more difficult to hit than previous expected. Countless military bases, non-military stores, and even entire countries may ban the sale of the title given its controversial content involving the Taliban.
Working...
X