This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3's Orange Box Isn't that Good

It seems as though the port of the Orange Box for the PlayStation 3 isn't as good as it should be. 1UP had a chance to play through the PS3 version of the Orange Box recently, and what they saw did not impress them.
    Framerate is a consistent issue throughout the Half-Life series of games included in The Orange Box. One moment you'll be cruising through the game at 30 frames per second and the next you'll be enjoying a slideshow of series protagonist Gordon Freeman cruising down the river. However, Portal suffers from no such technical hiccups and is on its way to being a pitch-perfect port of the spatial reasoning exercise. Due to a server connection issue, we were unable to get any time with Team Fortress 2.
    Keep in mind, a team inside of EA is handling the PS3 port of the Orange Box, and is not being handled by Valve themselves. There was a reason Valve did not want to deal with the port, it's just a shame EA wasn't able to overcome the difficulties in coding for the PS3.

Frame rate problems on the PS3 are nothing new. There's yet to be a single game that hasn't had frame issues on the PS3 except for VF5, and even that ended up being made better on the 360.

Comment

lies...

do you even own a ps3?

rachet and clank, guitar hero 3 just to name two that I own with no such issues.

Comment

Edited by [user="5847"] @ [time="1195918902"]

SlApNuTs wrote..

lies...

do you even own a ps3?

rachet and clank, guitar hero 3 just to name two that I own with no such issues.
        I think Bokuho was getting at games that put abit of a stress on the system, Cartoon graphics are more then likely going to run good, but how about Assassins Creed or Kane & Lynch which is excellent and runs without no hicups on my Xbox 360!

Comment

The problem with the orange box on PS3 is that the PS3 costs five hundred bucks

Comment

SlApNuTs wrote..

lies...

do you even own a ps3?

Ratchet and Clank is made by a development studio that has made nothing but games for Sony consoles. Did you really expect that game to run poorly given their close relationship with Sony? No, not really.

Guitar Hero isn't exactly a graphically demanding game either, and it's a game that absolutely needs a smooth framerate, unlike other games that don't necessarily need it.

Comment

Threeboy wrote..

And how much did that PC rig that runs HL2, Portal, TF2, etc, cost you? More than $500, I'm willing to bet.

Though yeah, the PS3 is horribly overpriced and I'm amazed anyone would buy one. But with PC gaming on the decline over the last few years while the need to upgrade still persists, it's not like PC gaming has much of an advantage over the PS3.

Bottom line is; between my 360, PS2 and DS, I'm pointing and laughing at all of you.

Comment

Why do people continue to root for this console?

Comment

Threeboy wrote..

There is that $400 SKU, which sucks horribly. Did they really needed to kill off those features?

Comment

SlApNuTs wrote..

lies...

do you even own a ps3?

guitar hero 3 lagged for about a second for the first time last night.

I was dissapointed

oh, and for gimbal, "cartoony" graphics are actually quite intensive. Just because something looks simpler doesn't mean it actually is ;D

Comment

snkcube wrote..

There is that $400 SKU, which sucks horribly. Did they really needed to kill off those features?
                      Oh yeah, they got rid of 2 USB ports, got rid of the Media card slots (no one usually uses them that I know about), and removed the ps2 backwards compatibility. Although do like to keep playing my older games, that's really not bad for $400, plus keeping the wifi access on the sku.

Comment

kalabalana wrote..

guitar hero 3 lagged for about a second for the first time last night.

I was dissapointed

oh, and for gimbal, "cartoony" graphics are actually quite intensive. Just because something looks simpler doesn't mean it actually is ;D
                        Because Crash Bandicoot is so demanding....

Don't you mean cell shading is intensive?;D

Comment

Bokuho wrote..

And how much did that PC rig that runs HL2, Portal, TF2, etc, cost you? More than $500, I'm willing to bet.

Though yeah, the PS3 is horribly overpriced and I'm amazed anyone would buy one. But with PC gaming on the decline over the last few years while the need to upgrade still persists, it's not like PC gaming has much of an advantage over the PS3.

Bottom line is; between my 360, PS2 and DS, I'm pointing and laughing at all of you.
                          Yeah and that PC serves as my harddrive/computer/msn/AOL aim/email/surfing the net/content/work/school ...uhh yah its one damn good investment...

I've had the same comp since 04' and I'm running TF2 at max with HDR+aa+AF..

AMD 2500

1gig

9800PRO 128MB

Xi-Fi (Okay I upgraded the sound cause I had onboard..kill me)

Comment

magicalpoop wrote..

Yeah and that PC serves as my harddrive/computer/msn/AOL aim/email/surfing the net/content/work/school ...uhh yah its one damn good investment...

I've had the same comp since 04' and I'm running TF2 at max with HDR+aa+AF..

AMD 2500

1gig

9800PRO 128MB

Xi-Fi (Okay I upgraded the sound cause I had onboard..kill me)
                            dont mean to be mean but... your 9800 pro is running @ max must be shit... i got an amd 5600+, 7900GT, 2gb ram and on cp_lazytown, when i get out of spawn and go down, my FPS drop to the 20s... just cuz ur 9800 runs at max doesnt mean it's running great... i lowered my settings to compensate and waiting to buy an 8800gt in february.

Comment

Grimbal wrote..

Because Crash Bandicoot is so demanding....

Don't you mean cell shading is intensive?;D
                              I'm pretty sure that Sony (well, Naughty Dog *awesome developers*)has passed on Crash, and keeps going to other things... but they have been able to do some awesome stuff on Ratchet and Clank & Uncharted, just to name a few...

Comment

Working...
                              X