This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Box Released

The Orange Box has been released! Open up your copy of Steam now to decrypt all files you have preloaded — because you've already bought it, right?

Inside of the Orange Box is Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. For those who have yet to play Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 1, those titles are also included. You can buy the Orange Box on Steam now or in retail outlets for $50. The Orange Box is available for both the PC and Xbox 360 — with a PS3 version following later this year.

Episode 2 (preview) is the second in the planned Half-Life 2 episodic trilogy that follows the wacky misadventures of Gordon Freedom and supporting characters, like the ever-spunky Alyx.

Portal (preview) is the follow-up in design to Narbacular Drop, a student game from a group at DigiPen Institute of Technology, my alma mater. Portal is a physics-based puzzle game based on the concept of being able to link two portals to each other. Interestingly enough, Portal is the first new intellectual property to originate from Valve since... the original Half-Life. (Correction! The last new IP to come from Valve was Ricochet, a Tron-inspired mod released in May 2002.)

Team Fortress 2, of course, is the highly anticipated sequel to Quake's Team Fortress and Half-Life 1's Team Fortress Classic; it is best known for being announced in 1998. TF2 has been available for the last few weeks to those who had preordered the Orange Box. The released version of TF2 is a radical departure from the version of TF2 shown in 1999 and even its predecessors — gone is grenade spam, and in is a wacky theme and cartoony visuals (see the character movies).

Be sure to post your thoughts in the comments!

Rizzuh beat me to the punch! I'm slipping.

And uh, no review on the Orange Box tonight. Time wasn't on my side, and I just wasn't happy with how my review had turned out. It looked and read like a rush job, and I didn't want to subject you guys to that sort of thing.

CAKE!

Comment

I'm seeing the dry humor of the voice now... so I'm definitely donating my organs to the Aperture Self-esteem Fund for Girls. I went through the first 16 puzzles pretty fast, so assuming there are only 19 in all I'd say Porthole is a pretty quick play, but it's been entertaining up to this point. User-created maps will definitely be where the fun continues, though. I'm saving Ep. 2 until I find a bit more time.

Finally got around to playing TF2 earlier this evening... it was fun and frustrating at the same time. Fun while I was playing, but even if I used all my fingers and toes I still couldn't relate the number of times I saw "warning: connection problems" in the upper-right corner and waited for my death announcement to signal that it'd re-synced properly. Definitely a less than stellar first play experience, but aside from the technical end of things I liked what I saw.

Anyway, bedtime for me... I don't want to play so long that I have a permanent disability like vaporization.

Comment

Whats the word on the street with core 2 support zips? is it out and is it coming to source? if so when?

Or is it out now :S

Comment

Whats up with the multicore support, and where the hell is direct x 10?

Anyone?

Comment

I'm stuck at the end of portal, but *yawn* I should sleep

Comment

Edited by [user="81061"] @ [time="1192024976"]

Portal makes my x850 overheat D: Plus I'm so dumb that I can't even get past a very early room.

EDIT: Um. I'm a complete dumbass. Failed to realize that I could pick up the portal gun in that room...

Comment

i dont know if anyone is aware but you can compare stats now

Comment

Rizzuh wrote..

Portal is the first new intellectual property to originate from Valve since... the original Half-Life
                  Surely Ricochet counts(though you could argue Tron influence)? Yes I know it's not very good.

Comment

i get the same error on startup i had with Tf2

Comment

Don't worry Nighthawk, there is a lot more gameplay awaiting you after you finish the 19 puzzle rooms. I am NOT referring to the bonus maps or anything as such. You will see. Don't give up. Don't eat the cake.

Comment

now all my source games dont load

GJ VALVE!

Comment

Beat both Portal and EP 2, was great stuff, now I'm bored again ~_~. Anywho, good stuff and TF2 is keeping me busy also.

Edit: I'm looking forward to either people making their own Portal maps and or doing some myself.

EP2: Can't wait for the next one , thats all I can say without ruining anything for anyone.

Comment

mr spoon wrote..

Surely Ricochet counts(though you could argue Tron influence)? Yes I know it's not very good.
                            Hmm, you're right!

Comment

I'm at the end of portal, I think, right after the rocket launcher robot breaks the glass, and theres an air duct that just leads to a fan and I can't get any further. What am I missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X