X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edited by [user="2065"] @ [time="1188959798"]

Thortok2000 wrote..

I totally understand and agree. However, just from the way you presented it in your post, it still sounds like asking for a lot, giving a little. You're putting the banner ad and blurb on ONE page of your site. Sure, it'll be a page frequently visited every time their bandwidth is actually used, but it still doesn't feel like a lot. Maybe if their ads get added to the rotating ads on the main page, or an article gets done about that website and what's so cool about it, or something.
    What we're looking for is a company that would not notice that we exist, even if we're using 10 gb of space and many times as much bandwidth. Because a solid, large company like that can get away with supporting a CS fansite with little return and can also sustain us for years instead of weeks (such as Dathorn or GameDaemons).

Of course, though, any partners we have are going to get perks like the ones you mention. Spelling that out in the post would simply attract too many small companies who wouldn't be around for the long haul. But I have updated the news post to reflect that there will be some advertising support for our partners.

We simply want to deliver fast and reliable downloads to the CS community. I think there are companies out there that want to facilitate it because they know that the PC game modding culture is important to keep alive — especially in the face of Xbox Live Arcade.

This is the closest analogy:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/mirrors

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/25551

FPSBANANA is an awesome site with great integrity. We're happy to be providing the same benefits to our mirrors as FPSB does.
    pudge7000 wrote..

Rizzuh I might be able to help you out. How much bandwith is needed (general estimate) per month?
    Hey pudge7000!

I honestly have no idea how much bandwidth is required, unfortunately. I know that sounds stupid. Perhaps we can set up a trial run, where I get you all the files and give you a phone call before going live so you can monitor the usage and make sure everything will be fine.

Basically, though, a lot of bandwidth. If you're paying for personal hosting then our users would probably blow through that. :/
    diamon12 wrote..

Why then has the RSS-feed been broken for a long time now? I even e-mailed you about it but never got any response or anything... Just wondering why it takes so much time to fix small bugs...
    Hey, I got your e-mail and and.. you're right. I need to fix that. The feed happens to work in Google Reader, but for reason there's an XML error in the feed.

The reason it takes a while to fix silly bugs is that I have a full-time programming job. Working with code all day makes it hard to want to come home and bother with code there too! Girls, concerts, and having too many friends get in the way as well

But I sympathize with your plight. I use RSS feeds and definitely want to provide that service to our readers. I'm sorry I didn't reply and I'm sorry it's taken so long to fix things. Unfortunately, I'm in crunch right now — so it might take a little while before I fix things.

I wish someone else on the team knew PHP

Comment

Point me at a site to learn PHP and I'll learn it gladly. I'm quick at learning code, and the more languages I can tuck under my belt, the more marketable I am later. =P

Comment

God damnit they're models, not skins. You'd think after eight years, CSN would have this down by now.

Yeah I'm pissed.

Comment

So a really, really good skin should be called a supermodel, right?

The term "skins" started back when the bulk majority of what was available for download were in fact simply reskins (this is, new texture work) for the existing CS models. I still use a black reskin of the default USP, for instance. The term stuck, so while we realize that there is frequently a model component as well (and differentiate those that do not have a new model by calling them "reskins"), simply saying "models" would merely emphasize geometry over texture work, thus not fundamentally improving the situation.

Why are people complaining about Supersonic? I haven't seen him post for ages.

Onto the subject of Firefox -- CSN was what caused me to make the switch also. Of course, now I use IE and Firefox both... IE for sites that require Flash, and Firefox for everything else. Web browsing is so much less obnoxious with Flash left uninstalled!

Comment

I wasn't complaining about him or his posts, but his avatar. I can't imagine that the mods of CS-N want a picture of a penis flopping around on their site, even if it's in archived comment threads...

Like I do with any avatar I find annoying, I can right-click and 'adblock' that picture. One of the reasons I love Firefox. =P But I just thought the mods would like to know, and archived comment threads don't have the 'report comment to moderators' option.

~

As to 'skin' versus 'model', any time you change the appearance of it, it's 'skinning' it. It's like a square is a rectangle. Square = remodeling, Rectangle = skinning. All remodeling is a form of skinning, but not all forms of skinning are remodeling.

Comment

Thortok2000 wrote..

As to 'skin' versus 'model', any time you change the appearance of it, it's 'skinning' it. It's like a square is a rectangle. Square = remodeling, Rectangle = skinning. All remodeling is a form of skinning, but not all forms of skinning are remodeling.
              No, skinning is not a form of remodelling. Remodelling is a form of remodelling. Skinning is a form of skinning. They are not, in any way, the same.
              Thortok2000 wrote..

I wasn't complaining about him or his posts, but his avatar. I can't imagine that the mods of CS-N want a picture of a penis flopping around on their site, even if it's in archived comment threads...
              He's had that for months - maybe even years now? It's been around on here for a long time anyway. If nowt's been done yet, I can't imagine anything will be done now. Especially considering CSN holds goth.wmv in such awe.
              -:Nighthawk:- wrote..

Why are people complaining about Supersonic? I haven't seen him post for ages.
              He did start posting again a few weeks back but since then he's gone quiet. I don't know what his deal is anymore. I seriously thought he was dead for a short time.

Comment

Bokuho wrote..

No, skinning is not a form of remodelling. Remodelling is a form of remodelling. Skinning is a form of skinning. They are not, in any way, the same.
                Skinning is not a form of remodeling.

Remodeling is a form of remodeling.

Skinning is a form of skinning.

The one you forgot: Remodeling is a form of skinning.

Skinning means both to actually reskin the object AND it also means a generic 'change of appearance'. If you 'change the appearance' of a software program, you've skinned it.
                He's had that for months - maybe even years now? It's been around on here for a long time anyway. If nowt's been done yet, I can't imagine anything will be done now. Especially considering CSN holds goth.wmv in such awe.
                Don't know what you're talking about. I thought I'd mention it. Big whoop. *eyeroll*

Comment

Thortok2000 wrote..

Skinning is not a form of remodeling.

Remodeling is a form of remodeling.

Skinning is a form of skinning.

The one you forgot: Remodeling is a form of skinning.

Skinning means both to actually reskin the object AND it also means a generic 'change of appearance'. If you 'change the appearance' of a software program, you've skinned it.
                  I didn't 'forget' that, I didn't mention it because it's plain wrong.

Skinning means you have re-skinned or re-made the skin (and only the skin) for any given object or software. Modelling, whether that means to re-model, hack, or to make from scratch, is the term for any 3D work. When working with 3D objects, the term skin is not used in the same way it is for software - with software the term skinning takes priority, with 3D work the term modelling takes priority.

When talking about an object that contains both new 3D and 2D elements, which you say depends on what exactly you've done.

If you say, hack a model together then use a skin from another model and re-colour it, you'd call it a hack and reskin (not a re-colour, since although that's all you've done to the skin, you are using a different base model). If you use someone else's model and make a new skin for it, that is a reskin. If you remodel someone else's work and do not change the skin, that is a remodel. If you make both the model and skin from scratch, you call that a model, you do not name the skin in any way at all.

And if you've made a model from scratch but are using someone else's skin, you call that stupidity.

Got it now? Great.

Comment

Skinning means you have re-skinned or re-made or in some way altered/customized any visual part of any software or game. It also means what you said.

Let's put it in definition form:

Skin: (1) (verb) To alter or customize any visual aspect or element of software, including video games. Such alterations may include textures and models, as well as GUI. (2) (noun) The altered texture used when skinning.

When you take a model out of CS, or make a completely new model, you are remodeling all you please, since you haven't "altered the visual appearance of any software or game". At this point, the word 'skin' can't be applied to the process at all. However, the moment you put it back in CS, you have now 'skinned' CS with a new model, to be specific, or a new 'skin', to not be specific. (The word 'skin' fits, even if all you changed was a model, and not the skin of it, since overall what you 'skinned' was the game, not the gun.)

Either model or skin works, model is more correct and specific, skin is more generalized. Just like square is a specific type of rectangle...but it's still a rectangle. A new model is a specific way to skin...but (once you actually put it in software or a game) it's still skinning.

Comment

Repeating the same wrong statement with longer phrasing =/= a correct, legitimate argument or point.

No, you do not 'skin' a game. You could 'skin' the interface (i.e. the UI) of the game, though even then you should really just say 'modified'. What you have done to the game when you use new models is altered it or 'customised' it. You have not 'skinned' it.

Stop thinking that 3D game = software as if it's a media player or some crap. This is incorrect. Learn the difference between working with 2D and working with 3D.

Comment

When you alter or customize software, you've skinned it. That is the definition of skinned. Whether you like it or not, it doesn't change that fact.

You may not use the word that way, but that doesn't prevent other people from using the word that way. That is a legitimate definition of skinned.

I agree there's a major difference between working with 2D and working in 3D. Never said there wasn't. But the working definition of skin is to alter or customize software, including games, like the definition I gave above. People know the difference between 'true' skinning and 'overall' skinning, and that modeling would only go under 'overall' skinning and not 'true' skinning. Unless they're stupid, but who cares about stupid people? =P

Just because you don't use the word that way doesn't mean the rest of the internet won't. Sheesh, I hate the word 'pwn', it's not even a word at all, and I'll never use it. But that doesn't mean the rest of the internet won't.

In short, the use of 'skin' that you objected to is fine with everyone else, which essentially makes it a correct usage. Get over it.

Comment

Pfft. Sif I'd do anything for Rizzuh.

Comment

Working...
                          X