This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam News Update - July 20, 2007

Given that this week's news update centers around the upcoming Steam Community, I felt the "community" tag appropriate here. Oh hey, it looks like you'll be able to give games away as gifts soon, too!
    Last month, we announced the Steam Community, which will let you connect with friends and other gamers, create and join groups, and organize matches. We're adding the final polish now and are right on target to launch the beta version at the end of the month. More details on the way.

A note to owners of Half-Life 2 and Episode 1: If you buy the boxed retail version of The Orange Box, you can simply hand-off the games you already own to a friend. Or, you can give away the games within Steam. When you install the Orange Box, Steam will identify the duplicate games and let you send them as gifts to a friend, which will enable them to download the games from Steam for free.

THQ joined Steam this week, kicking things off with three great games: Company of Heroes (widely regarded as one of the best RTS's ever made), Titan Quest (RPG) + the Immortal Throne expansion, and Full Spectrum Warrior + the Ten Hammers expansion. You can read more about the starting line-up.

If you're looking for a cool indie game to play this weekend, check out Gish, the 2005 Independent Games Festival Grand Prize winner. It's a platformer set in subterranean sewers. You play as a ball of tar. Enough said.
    Yes, granted you will only be able to give away the extra copies of Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 with your purchase of the Orange Box, could that mean that you'll be able to buy a gift of any game in the future? Let's hope so.

I gave Gish a spin (har) yesterday. It's a neat, but sometimes frustrating puzzle oriented game. I say frustrating, as it is sometimes a task to get the tar blob to stick to the surfaces you want it to while un-sticking to other surfaces. Quite a bit of fun for the price though.

The winners of the Half-Life 1 screenshot contest have been announced. You can see the winning screenshots at the info page for HL1. I must say, the new shots look a ton better than the old ones they had up, but there's just something about that fifth shot that just pushes it that extra mile. Something that I just can't quite place my finger on.

Thats cool that you can send them off to friends, but wouldn't it be easier to just download them individually from steam, since you have to go through steam to give it to a friend anyways.

Comment

I hope they have to option to buy only EP2/Portal/TF2 via steam, at a discounted price. I could care less about being able to give games away if I spend more.

Comment

ZEROarmy wrote..

I hope they have to option to buy only EP2/Portal/TF2 via steam, at a discounted price. I could care less about being able to give games away if I spend more.
        Pretty sure that option was removed. If you bought the silver package and EP1, and plan to buy the orange box, that's about $140 down the drain.

Comment

You just like the blood in the 5th shot. But ya the fan screenshots are a lot nicer then some of the stuff valve has done (for some reason this makes me think of the orange box cover).

Comment

Theres a new contest for cs:cz now.

edit: and finally for cs too!

Comment

$17.95 for EP2 only!!???

Comment

ZEROarmy wrote..

If they do they will probably be 1/3 the cost of the package deal, I assume that buying them bundled would cost less then buying the 3 individually.

Comment

Working...
                X