This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI And Valve - Together Again

It seems as though what was once a mere rumor is now true. On the fourth page of a review of the new cards at VR-Zone is the following gem.

The $399 bundle is where the Valve products come into play. At just $399 you can get a Radeon 2900XT, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Time to start saving those pennies!

i'm not a ATi fan mainly because I had a very bad experience with Radeon 9800 Pro AGP. But for $399 for the 2900 XT seems very reasonable. The bundle is pretty nice too. Wonder will it come in disc instead coupon code. I prefer hard copies. But for that price and that it outscores the 8600-8800GTS that is a definite plus for now. But we'll see. Anyone has a release date?

Comment

I dunno, from what I've read in the review it seems as though the new ATI cards aren't really up to snuff.

Comment

ATI's use of a unified architecture was risky for the last and this latest gen. It's going to pay off next gen I imagine. Or maybe it won't?

haha. I've heard a lot of good things about the 2900XT in the upper resolutions + aa + af. (except for the heat and wattage though)

OH and the fact that it's technically a super computer is pretty amazing too, a Teraflop!

Comment

Edited by [user="292421"] @ [time="1179172411"]

Wait a second, those are the new ATI cards?! Meaning the very latest up to date (2007, May) cards?!

As you can tell, I haven't paid any attention to any cards since my last upgrade (about a year ago), I'm just fedup.

Comment

Zips wrote..

I dunno, from what I've read in the review it seems as though the new ATI cards aren't really up to snuff.
            Got a friend who got a new ATi card (can't remember exactly which) a month or so back. It's sucking hugely. My older, allegedly inferior nvidia GeForce card gets a far better FPS on Half Life 2 (as well as various other games) than his does, and the rest of our machines are pretty much the same, if anything mine is slightly worse - goes to show how much of a drag his ATi card is.

They can bundle 'em with as many games and stuff as they like, I'd still rather stick with nvidia. They've yet to fail me, nor anyone else I know.

Comment

ati 8000 and less played catch up to nvidia basically the whole time imo

ati 9000 series vs nvidia 5000 series = ati

ati x000 series vs nvidia 6000 series = nvidia

ati x1000 series vs nvidia 7000 series = draw

this current gen looks to favour ati, but it's still early to see

Comment

kalabalana wrote..

ati 8000 and less played catch up to nvidia basically the whole time imo

ati 9000 series vs nvidia 5000 series = ati

ati x000 series vs nvidia 6000 series = nvidia

ati x1000 series vs nvidia 7000 series = draw

this current gen looks to favour ati, but it's still early to see
                The current gen favors ATI? Did you read through the review mentioned above? The 2900 is severely lacking in almost every test performed, even in power consumption compared to the 8800GTX and 8800GTS. The 8800 Ultra wasn't even factored in.

Comment

I prefer this review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/14/...are_from_ati/

Comment

You're right, I saw some biased reviews, ATI is behind this gen, my mistake for speaking too early, sorry about that!

Comment

Working...
                    X