This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Episode 2 Screens

As part of a new Episode 2 interview with Valve's Erik Johnson, two brand new screenshots for Episode 2 have emerged! My, aren't you the lucky ones. The images are mirrored here, but are originally from GameSpot.

For those more interested in the content of the interview, read on for a short quote of something that'll surely whet your appetite.
    GS: Will Episode Two introduce any major technological improvements to the Source Engine?

EJ:
    [...] Meanwhile, the visual budget for Episode Two is higher than Half-Life 2 and Episode One, so we essentially have a higher "high end" on the graphics side. We made this decision as a result of tracking the rapid GPU adoption rate of gamers on Steam via our hardware surveys. Having moved to episodic development, we are able to more accurately target these early adopters and provide an experience that does a better job of scaling to the power of their systems. And we've built a new particle system into Source. This has put more of the control of our visual effects directly into the hands of the artists, resulting in the most graphically sophisticated game we've ever made.
    This should appease those that find graphics to be ruling factor in their gaming experience.

New Episode 2 Screens

It seems as though the CVG preview for Episode 2 has been updated with new pictures! Twice the news for the same article? That's just how I roll. You can see all of the pictures below, courtesy of CVG.

[break="view the full image gallery"]

I like the Source engine, I really do, but can we please get some higher resolution textures?

Comment

Man this shit is as Ill as Little John's rappin skillz!

Comment

Fuck yeah.. finally a hot rod in the game.

How accurate is their hardware survey? I call bull on the "higher high end" demand, most kids that surf CSN have shitty PCs or laptops the can handle CS 1.6 but nothing above like Source or HL2. Well they might, but that's only if the settings are stupid low.

Comment

Damn Zip is on fire with all these news posts!

Comment

meowmeow wrote..

How accurate is their hardware survey? I call bull on the "higher high end" demand, most kids that surf CSN have shitty PCs or laptops the can handle CS 1.6 but nothing above like Source or HL2. Well they might, but that's only if the settings are stupid low.
            care to cite where you got that information?

i really don't understand why the release of episode 1 and episode 2 take as long as they do. i mean, i guess for this one they are working on tfc2 and portal as well but, just for the episode, how can it take as long as it does? they already have the engine built, all the models, guns (and i'd assume at least some) textures made for them. all they have to do is make the maps, scripts and voice acting?

Comment

No matter how good they are trying to make it look, the source engine sucks at making you feel like you are in an open enviroment. The 3d skyboxes and boxed maps with tree borders take so much away from something that could be so great....

Comment

milly9 wrote..

i really don't understand why the release of episode 1 and episode 2 take as long as they do. i mean, i guess for this one they are working on tfc2 and portal as well but, just for the episode, how can it take as long as it does? they already have the engine built, all the models, guns (and i'd assume at least some) textures made for them. all they have to do is make the maps, scripts and voice acting?
                There's backend things to do, you know. Implement new technology into the Source engine such as graphical updates, optimization of large outdoor environments, multi-threading for multi-core processors, improve AI logic (or should I say write AI logic. Hehe. Lame joke.)... Then combine all that with compilation times.

You make it sound as simple as Game Maker.

Comment

That new car looks awesome, hope it handles better than the buggy. Looks like it's time to start saving up for that new high-end computer..

Comment

The car reminds me of a DeLorean; that's definitely not a bad thing .

I'm ready, as well as my FX-62 and 8800GTX vid card, for Episode 2 :P

Comment

*strokes Alyx's face*

Nice vortex in the background.

This is the future, with almost no cars. They don't need time travel, they need regular transportation. So they cut the doors and the roof off, and painted it yellow. Obviously.

Comment

It reminds me of a car from Flatout 2, lol...

Comment

Salamandra wrote..

This is the future, with almost no cars. They don't need time travel, they need regular transportation. So they cut the doors and the roof off, and painted it yellow. Obviously.
                          That is the future of gasoline cars. Screw electric, just throw away 90% of your body panels and your fuel economy is through the roof!

Comment

Doesn't remind me much of a DeLorean at all. More like the General Lee as was said when we first saw concept art of it.

Comment

milly9 wrote..

I'd rather have a company take their time with a game and fix bugs before they release it.

Comment

Working...
                              X