This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-Up: Valve Hacked

It appears as though there was a substantial quantity of information stolen from Valve by infamous "hacker" MaddoxX, but nothing nearly as grand as originally believed. What was stated as being stolen were the means to create Valve Cyber Cafe certificates, the Cyber Cafe customer directory, customer's credit card information, the multi-core tech demo, financial information on Valve, and other such items.

The facts as they are right now: Valve was hacked, sort of. One of their servers that hosts the Cyber Cafe information was compromised. Technically, this should mean that only Cyber Cafe customers should be worried about this situation, though all details are still a little fuzzy at this time.

The gaming site, 1up.com, managed to shed a little light on the situation.
    How did he do it? And is this even for real? According to him, "it's not a hack on the Steam application itself; there are flaws/bugs on their servers." Thanks to these flaws, there are all sorts of exploits he claims to have pulled off: "People with a little bit experience can create their own 'fake' but working Café certificates."

We ran all of MaddoxX's proof by a software security expert who requested anonymity. "This looks real to me. He found a way into [Valve's] Cyber Café software," the security expert confirms, "but what I've seen — the files pulled down — don't indicate whether or not he breached Valve itself."

Doug Lombardi, director of marketing at Valve, says, "There has been no security breach of Steam." However, he does confirm our expert's findings by adding, "The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Café program. This Cyber Café billing system is not connected to Steam. We are working with law enforcement agencies on this matter, and encourage anyone with more information to e-mail us at Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com.
    Further on down the page is the following:
    Isn't he concerned about jail time? Nope. "Nothing will happen. I work through remote PCs to do my job." However, they did ban some of his secure proxies — so clearly someone is paying attention to what is happening and, no doubt, a larger case is in the works against MaddoxX.
    Apparently he's had access to this sort of information, or at least the means to obtain this information, since January. He supposedly contacted numerous persons from Valve to plug up the security holes, but his mails have gone unanswered. Due to his being ignored, he took it upon himself to basically force Valve to stop ignoring him. As noted in the quoted section, if you have any information, feel free to email Valve at Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com.

Drama !

I'm loving this

Comment

Now I remember who this guy is. He's one of the cafe owners who originally "hacked" CS:S for people to download when it was only available to cafe's.

Comment

Uh, I don't think this guy owns anything legally.

Comment

valve was lieing, how a "third-party site" has all the valve financial information.

Comment

Zips wrote..

Uh, I don't think this guy owns anything legally.
            I didn't read the article before, but yeah, it looks like he isn't close to being an owner.

Comment

Catch_A_Thief@valvesoftware.com, rofl

Comment

http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?p=62590

His comments!

Comment

The forum where MaddoxX's comments were posted is down, but thanks to google's cache feature you can find them yourself if you're interested.

Well, at this point VALVe's claims and MaddoxX's claims are different, and time will tell which is more accurate, but I'm going to have to say that the majority of the info available at the present points towards MaddoxX's claims being the legit ones. Some quotes from browsing the subject:

From a news website:
                  We contacted MaddoxX via email. He claimed he first gained access to Steam this January, and said that although the cyber cafe customer database is not linked to the standard customer list, he has access to that too. Valve have not contacted him, he said, but have approached his hosting provider to take down the page which announces the hack, so far without success.
                  (emphasis mine)

From MaddoxX's original post:
                  Particle bench crap:

http://rapidshare.com/files/24947590/pa...-pvn.rar.html
                  NOTE: that link will NOT get you that file (mods please don't delete this post) -- it will simply link to a page saying that you cannot download because the file was removed as a result of complaints. This further implies that the file that was once there was in fact something VALVe did not want anyone seeing, and makes it seem more likely that these files do contain what MaddoxX is claiming they do.

From another news website:
                  It seems that Valve is being held for ransom. If this is true, Valve may be in trouble, as California Senate Bill 1386 requires that credit card holders be informed of any breach of their information, and MaddoxX already knows exactly how much money they have available.
                  Finally from MaddoxX, supposedly in an email received from a cybercafe owner:
                  Believe me, nobody wants to 'stick it to Valve' more than those currently in the cafe program. We're rubbing pennies together trying to make it from month to month, while Valve is making millions off of us ... All I ask is that you make some effort to edit cafe numerical details from any future release.
                  I feel sorry for the cybercafé owners at this point... though fortunately the credit card companies I've dealt with in the past (just visa and mastercard) have been very good about setting up new accounts with very little hassle and at no extra cost if you have reason to believe yours might be compromised.

I'd love a post on here from anyone who can confirm or deny the legitimacy of those particle effect demos. If in fact those files were what they claimed to be, it would show Doug Lombardi's comments to not be so much flat out lies as just cleverly avoiding the full truth. He never states that the Cybercafé server was the only thing that was hacked, he simply confirms it was and that Steam itself was not. No comment is made on customer credit card info, multi-core tech demos, etc.

Interesting stuff, everyone grab a bag of popcorn and settle in to watch the events unfold. :P

Comment

I actually do indeed believe this to be true also, i mean saying he did hack valve and he actually didnt would be more sadder then if he actually did hack them (abit of a tongue twister lol), there's always away around them...., they have done it once before so im sure they have done it again....

I just hope we get some new CS:S content and maybe even TF2 for free with this cock up

Although i havent used any card's on steam i do feel bad for the ones that have :/

Comment

I know some hackers in real life. Real hackers, the ones that hack just to find security holes, so they can then be fixed, prefer to distinguish themselves from 'crackers', ones who find the holes so they can be exploited. I forget which is hacker and which is cracker, though.

Sounds to me like, if the 'hacker' isn't lying, then he's doing a good job and slapping Valve upside the face. I would've done the same if I was in the hacker's position and had the skills.

If, however, he plans to use any of the stuff he got from hacking for any other purpose than to stick it to Valve, I don't condone that at all, of course.

Comment

Typical PR talk indeed, you have to weigh evey single word to understand the full implications of the matter.

- it didn't deny other hacking claims by MaddoxX,

- it doesn't explain how valve's financial information would be on a third-party site.

- it leaves open the possibility that the hacked third-party site was connectede to Steam in some way, as it only denies the Cyber Café billing system being connected to Steam, but not other parts of this third-party site.

- how Doug Lombardi can call him a "alleged" hacker when two words later he actually acknowledges he gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses.

I don't know what are the motivations of MaddoxX, it seems he was really willing to point the flaws and it went unnoticed by valve. Maybe he wanted also a bit of money to compensate for his time, I just hope it doesn't switch to full fledged blackmail or that people gaining access to the data won't use it for bad purposes.

In the end it could all backfire on MaddoxX, especially as he seems very angry and willing to give lots of info.

Although I have very little knowledge of matter of this kind, I'm inclined to think he risks more getting caught through his Cyber Café friend that posted on valve's forum or through stupid tricks like "Come to the USA, we really apreciate your work and are willing to thank you face-to-face" than through online forensinc that he probably can circumvent.

Comment

Well, finally Valve may be getting what they deserve, greedy bastards

Comment

Seems like this guy is spending his time fixing security holes for free. If he is so good I'm sure he would be getting paid somewhere to do this. Plus your taking a big risk doing this even if you don't get caught here he is probably going to be watched. The "hacker" term really seems to have a over glorifying image to it, basically he is a network security exploiter.

Comment

DaRk-AnGeL wrote..

Well, finally Valve may be getting what they deserve, greedy bastards
                              Yeah, what the hell are they thinking, selling us cheap games!

(Sarcasm.)

As for the "Hacker" - what an attention seeker. Someone didn't get enough hugs as a child.

Boohoo.

Comment

Working...
                              X