This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming's First Million Dollar Contract

Whoa! Yes, you read the headline above correctly. Although it might not be related to Counter-Strike directly, this announcement made today by Major League Gaming, regarding a 1 million dollar contract that a Halo 2 team signed today, is truely yet another sign that gaming is headed in the right direction.
    Major League Gaming (MLG), the world’s first professional video game league, today announced that it has signed the nation’s leading four-man Halo 2 team, Final Boss, to a $1 million dollar contract, and Tsquared, one of the top individual pros in the world, to a $250,000 deal. These are by far the largest signings ever for professional video gamers, and the multi-year deals provide for these players to commit exclusively to MLG.
    I honestly don't know what I would do if I had a million dollars, but I do know that if my girlfriend yells at me one more time saying I pay too much attention to Counter-Strike and not enough attention to her, then I will simply show her this press release. Kids, feel free to apply this to your parents.

MLG is playing semantics a bit too much. They say that computer games aren't video games. That's how they get away with saying they're the first professional gaming league despite the fact that they're more of a gaming tour and they were nowhere near the first in either. Korea has professional starcraft leagues and Sweden had the Swedish Esports League (SEL) for CS 1.6. Europe has had Eurocup with lan finals for who knows how long, and Germany has the EPS league. All of these are leagues for professionals and have been around for years before this.

Also, they say it's the first million dollar contract when really they're five $250,000 contracts. Several Starcraft players have hit that mark as well as Fatality and Voo. It's still impressive, but their claims aren't accurate.

Comment

Ouch and my post gets pushed to the bottom of the front page within 3 hours by 3 other updates...

Comment

this is like, uber retarded, "professional" video gaming, pfffft, please. pie eating might be a professional league, but this? dear god man..

Comment

Working...
        X