This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIP Mod Receives Vapour Treatment

No, the VIP Mod hasn't gone the way of the Phantom or Duke Nukem Forever, thankfully. Instead, the VIP Mod is slated to appear on the Vapour content delivery system. Vapour is a system designed to update a variety of games and a number of mods for those games. The user can quickly apply patches and install new maps and mods without having to look any further than the Vapour program.

VIP on Vapour

The VIP Mod team is well on their way to releasing the first public showing of their Counter-Strike: Source modification. We'll be sure and keep you up to date on when to expect the first public release of the VIP mod!

awsome

Comment

Sounds steamy.

Comment

Haha, I wonder if VALVe can/will sue them for not merely capitalizing on the concept of Steam, but picking a service name that is a synonym. "Vapour"... gotta love it.

Still, auto-updates for 3rd-party mods, custom map browser/download, and a working buddy system? If they actually get this service up and running, they'll have managed to do what we've been hoping Steam will become.

My main concern obviously would be with how economically viable this system is, and what kind of server support they'll be able to impliment... time will tell, should be interesting.

Comment

i was never a big fan of VIP... but that does sound rather interesting

Comment

"Vapor" REALLY ORIGINAL IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.

Comment

Comment

Steam should have incorporated current features avaliable on Vapour long, long ago. Perhaps if they had, VIP mod would have been on Steam instead.

Comment

I don't think the word "perhaps" needs to be in that sentence.

There are a number of things that VALVe does right, but there are also a number of things they do (or don't do) that a significant portion of the community would agree they screw up.

Not even including some of the features on this list that they used to have (Friends, anyone?) in Steam's current state is pretty sad. That said, for the limited functionality that it does have, Steam works well.
                  No, the VIP Mod hasn't gone the way of the Phantom or Duke Nukem Forever, thankfully.
                  Shouldn't TF2 be in that list somewhere?

It's just disappointing to see all sorts of "upcoming" things that don't show up for months or years, if ever. Friends has been down for longer than I can remember, the "zombie film" that was going to be released still hasn't materialized, and while I don't particularly care about player models... such things should never be promised until you're certain you can deliver them (read: are playtesting them currently in your office and not noticing any serious bugs).

Still, while it is a sad state of affairs when a PR department blunders as feebly as VALVe's does, I'm still a fan of the company in general, and I'll continue to watch how everything plays out.

Comment

I think there is some innovation here, whatever the name is.

Comment

The thing that gets me is that the VIP mod has the chicken fix in Italy. Just about every player wanted it but Valve has never mentioned a thing about "officially" bringing back the chicken.

Bastards.

Comment

-:Nighthawk:- wrote..

I don't think the word "perhaps" needs to be in that sentence.

There are a number of things that VALVe does right, but there are also a number of things they do (or don't do) that a significant portion of the community would agree they screw up.

Not even including some of the features on this list that they used to have (Friends, anyone?) in Steam's current state is pretty sad. That said, for the limited functionality that it does have, Steam works well.

Shouldn't TF2 be in that list somewhere?

It's just disappointing to see all sorts of "upcoming" things that don't show up for months or years, if ever. Friends has been down for longer than I can remember, the "zombie film" that was going to be released still hasn't materialized, and while I don't particularly care about player models... such things should never be promised until you're certain you can deliver them (read: are playtesting them currently in your office and not noticing any serious bugs).

Still, while it is a sad state of affairs when a PR department blunders as feebly as VALVe's does, I'm still a fan of the company in general, and I'll continue to watch how everything plays out.
                        I'm definitely not a fan of Valve's latest developments (and I completely neglect to play them), and, furthermore, I personally believe they've been anticlimactically fumbling ever farther away from what made their pre-Half-Life 2 developments so genuine and gold (though, I won't expand on that as such a topic is sure to spurr a heated argument), but I can definitely understand what you mean. Even though I haven't even bothered to install Counter-Strike:Source for going on a year now, it still frustrates me how Valve has neglected to even complete a full set of models for the game. And don't even get me started on their consistent deviation from their most popular game--one of the most popular in the world for that matter. But my criticism on this issue would surely only lead to futility when taking into consideration the basis of CSNation's community, so I'll leave that for some place else...

Comment

I totally agree with Nighthawk, as usual. Instead of constructively criticizing Steam, I'd rather say that I find it quite hilarious of the fact that they have obviously used Valve's idea for the content delivery system (not saying that Valve is the only company to have come up with this idea, but that they are the first to apply the idea into a complete system) and have blatantly named it a synonym to Valve's CDS, "Vapour"; I love it.

Let's see if Valve considers Vapour or any other future system a threat, or real competition to them.

By the way, I enjoy reading your postings Nighthawk. Your points seem to be well placed and abnormally accurate. <3

Comment

Wow, that headline was scary... can you say, "misleading?"

Comment

thor2488 wrote..

Wow, that headline was scary... can you say, "misleading?"
                              How so?

Fan made VIP mod is going to be on the Vapour system.

"VIP Mod Receives Vapour Treatment" sounds about right.

Comment

Working...
                              X