This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIP Mod Impressions

The upcoming VIP mod for CS: Source has been rousing up some anticipation in the community recently. Last night I was lucky enough to participate in a playtest of the mod and a version of Oilrig made for CS: Source. To be honest, I was actually never really a fan of the VIP mode in the original Counter-Strike, but I actually had a lot of fun playing with the VIP mod in Source.

It may have just been the people — I was playing with folks who had microphones and used them to coordinate strategy, which is an improvement when compared to the average CS player who uses their headset to test out the "Ying-Yang Twins - Whisper" ringtone that they just bought from Jamster. It could have been that the new art assets and — especially — sounds in Source create a much more tense and realistic atmosphere, which lends itself well to the cat-and-mouse gameplay inherit with the VIP mode.[break="more impressions + some screenshots!" type="viewnews"]Maybe I faked having so much fun simply to rationalize why I was spending my Friday night playing Counter-Strike, barricaded in my room after throwing the dinner my mother served me back at her. I hope the ricotta gave her second degree burns, because at this point in my life she should know how warm I like my lasagna.

I guess the most likely option, though, is that the VIP mode is actually fun with the right crowd. I never experienced that in all of my years of Counter-Strike. Until last night. Isn't that awesome? Awesome!

The Oilrig map is a fairly direct port, but is somehow still visually pleasing. The original Oilrig looked a bit like an abortion, so it's surprising that the port is actually very good looking. In terms of gameplay, the changes seem to make the game play more evenly — though the terrorists still have an easier time.

My biggest complaint with the map is its ladders. I'm not sure what the problem is technically, but when trying to dismount the ladders it sometimes feels as if Fat Albert is using your left ankle as a snowboard which obviously makes it hard to get off of the freaking thing. This issue is probably easy to fix, so hopefully we'll see that fix (or maybe it was a server lag issue). But honestly, I am reaching a bit. I enjoyed the map a bit, and the ladders are only a small nitpick.

The mod itself is fairly simple. At the start of each round, the VIP is announced to the CT team. Unfortunately, you must simply remember who the VIP is for that round because there was no obvious reminder. I think a good idea would be to append "*VIP*" or something similar to the VIP's name for the round. Due to limitations on server-side mods, VIPs can still buy (but not use) weapons and all that but the VIP can only use the USP and knife as in the original mode. The largest gameplay issue is that the VIP has no special color on the radar or anything, so if you lose track of the man, you're kind of screwed.

Beyond that, the rest of the game plays largely as we're used to from CS 1.6. Killing a random terrorist with your knife is just as thrilling as it always has been. The mod is obviously a bit more rudimentary than an integrated VIP mode from Valve — but the mod more than serves its purpose. Since the VIP mod will certainly be a niche thing anyway, these limitations won't hold VIP fans back from having fun. In my case, I had more fun with the VIP mod than any time in CS 1.6. I'm looking forward to the VIP mod's wide release in a few weeks.

You can find more information about VIP mod on its official website which I am linking to right now.

Cool. I might try it out when it releases. =)

Comment

... When did you play? Because I was there a couple of times last night and was just about to post about this with some extra screens. I am shaking my fist at my screen right now John, shaking my fist...

Back to the mod and the map. Great great conversion by DJ. The atmosphere felt great with just a few minor hiccups. The doorways that contained opened doors sometimes offered a bit of a challenge to fit through smoothly. Perhaps widening them a bit would be beneficial to all. Also of note was the ladder problem, namely when trying to go down a small ladder area and you feel as though you're beeing stuck onto the top with no way to ever get down (though you eventually do). I noticed a few small FPS issues when outside and looking over the entire stretch of the outside area. I suppose that's to be a given, given the amount of building architecture and effects you see.

It never really felt like either side had a distinct advantage either. The changes are fairly minor but maintain a great balance for the teams. There are obvious "oh crap" moments where you're the VIP and the rest of your CT team has been killed off. You find yourself just a building's length away from rescue, do you rush it or do you try and take your time with minor stealth moves? Whatever you decide it's a great deal of fun.

BTW: There's going to be a public test for the map on 8/28/05 (Sunday).
      On Sunday, 08-28-05 at 12:00 PM PST (thats 3:00 PM EST) we will be opening up PAF Server #3 again to the public for them to feast their collective fragging eyes on as_oilrig_dj.

Comment

gah, i missed it by 11 hours . I heard good things about the VIP mod, I wanted to play as_italy and try our how they did oilrig. this sux.

Comment

If I was playing I wouldve just let the VIRZE die.

The mod is fun as hell though, good memories.

Comment

rizzuh wrote..

Maybe I faked having so much fun simply to rationalize why I was spending my Friday night playing Counter-Strike, barricaded in my room after throwing the dinner my mother served me back at her. I hope the ricotta gave her second degree burns, because at this point in my life she should know how warm I like my lasagna.
            Comedy gold.

The mod looks good, and I'll download it and play it once it is finished. I always liked as_ maps. I hope they distribute over steam, because, um, that's what it's there for.

Comment

Simplex wrote..

Comedy gold.
              EXACTLY what i was thinking made me choke on my ricekrispies on one fine sunday morning.

VIP mod looks great, cant wait to get a little play myself really

Comment

Edited by [user="242176"] @ [time="1125230318"]

Yeah, what time did you join the server? I lefted about 8pm (PST) because it was 4am in the UK and had to wake up at 9.

Anyway, to start, the map is great, at first I felt a bit lost on the map but after a while it felt like I was playing oilrig on 1.6. I only found 1 or 2 issues with the map which I've already told Dj about and he's going to try and fix them.

The mod, after a few tests, is now flawless, I always liked the VIP scenario, and this brought back some good memories.

I'm quite sure anyone who liked the VIP scenario in 1.6, will not be disapointed.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/...ig_b10008.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/...rigvipown.jpg

^Here are two screenshots I took.

There are around 10 maps already being made for the VIP mod, including highrise and tundra.

Comment

I got on around 8 or 9 pdt but left after 40 minutes because a friend of mine wanted me to give her some attention. To sum up the rest of the evening, I kind of wish I kept on playing CS.

Comment

rizzuh wrote..

I got on around 8 or 9 pdt but left after 40 minutes because a friend of mine wanted me to give her some attention. To sum up the rest of the evening, I kind of wish I kept on playing CS.
                    I'd make a joke about cats, but Scout is male. Oh well. There's still the inevitable "pussy" joke to spawn from that.

As for the lasagna, you show that bitch what for, man.

Comment

Hello All!

Thanks Rizzuh for the review and for coming to the test. Zips and n1k23 too.

Today (Sunday) in 2 hours (12:00 PM PST) We will be having a PUBLIC BETA TEST of as_oilrig_dj. This is a 20 player server so first come first served.

paf3.nuclearfallout.net:27015

cya there.

Comment

rizzuh wrote..

It may have just been the people
                        I go with that!

Most games are fun, with the right bunch of folks regardless of what game mode it is.

VIP renaissance? Good on the guys who are trying to help and improve the community. All I remember when oil rig came on was, "CHANGE MAP!! CHANGE MAP!!!!!" etc etc...So looking forward to see what this is like.

Comment

As usual RzE doesn't show full appreciation of such a great mod cause Valve arn't really supporting it. CS-Nation (Rizzuh) and Valve have had this cliche for some time now and it's really annoying when something exciting comes along by a third party developer and then is trashed by Rizzuh and Valve.

Comment

Equalizer! wrote..

something exciting comes along by a third party developer and then is trashed by Rizzuh and Valve.
                            I have an idea, it may sound crazy, but bear with me. How about, you actually read his post (the words are key), maybe over a cup of coffee, or perhaps something cold in case you suddenly need to leap over to the conclusions mat again. Then before dragging Valve into the discussion, consider if they have actually made anything resembling a comment on this mod, even a fart from Gabe that sounded like 'vip', and at that point, post your invaluable point of view.

Comment

First off, Rizzuh said he had a good tiome. I really enjoyed playing with him and it's all good.

play test as_oilrig_dj and the new VIP Mod system on paf2.nuclearfallout.net and paf3.nuclearfallout.net RIGHT NOW

Comment

Working...
                              X