This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cs_kismayo Released

A user made map entitled cs_kismayo has recently hit the public. This tasty map comes to you courtesy of Oreo. Unlike most maps (namely the officially released maps for Source), kismayo is a lot less linear between any two points on the map, meaning there are multiple branching paths throughout the city.
    If you ever have complaints about the same old type of cs maps getting boring, this map is different. The map is set out unlike normal cs maps which have only a few paths to choose from. The city is large, dynamic, and interesting. cs_kismayo is a constantly multi leveled map that inspires in depth teamwork and even James Bond-ish type sneaking.
    Don't feel like downloading the map just yet? You say you want to see a review of the map from the fine staff here at CSN before you give it a personal look? We will soon offer our own reviews for user made maps, so don't hesitate to inform us of your latest release!

only works for clan matches. in a pub there will be too many nubs getting lost, so it probably won't get that much play.

it's a great map, though!

Comment

It look's awesome I will try and play it later.

Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to the custom map reviews, though don't expect a MOTD if you know what I mean!

The idea of more open, expansive, and non-linear maps is a great idea. However, great ideas on paper don't always turn out to be great ideas in actual play, and so far most of these attempts have turned out to be proof of that. Why, you ask?

Well, for starters thepingofdeath is right, you get plenty of people who just plain get lost. But that, in my opinion, isn't really where the main problem resides.

CS is based around all dead players waiting out the round until either an objective is completed, or, as is more often the case, until all players on one team are eliminated. Some current maps, even with a relatively small number of possible paths, often drag out when there are only a handful of players left.

Take that scenario in a map with this many different paths, and their odds of colliding are reduced even further. Put something like this in a respawn-oriented game (or possibly on an instant respawn server), and I can see it working quite nicely. Always a crowd of people going every which way through the city and so on. But that's not this game, unfortunately.

Either way, it looks like it was well made, so who knows... in a case like this I'd love to be proven wrong.

Comment

looks very decent and balance sorta.

Comment

clan matches on a cs_ map?

k

Comment

Great, but since when does CSN make newsposts about any old custom maps released? Slow news year, indeed. =P

Comment

Helkite wrote..

Great, but since when does CSN make newsposts about any old custom maps released? Slow news year, indeed. =P
                We'd like to be more community oriented.

Comment

Helkite, feel free to disable maps & textures in your news preferences if you would not like to see further map release info. I for one am enjoying the additional info, as I like having my news delivered to my doorstep instead of having to hunt it down on other sites.

Comment

yes..that is a very cool looking map..have just downloaded it, and it seems pretty damn cool

http://www.hl2mapping.com is a mapping site that is home to a lot of very talented mappers..head on over if you are interested in mapping

Oreo (if you are here) - can you please pm me (Sp00neyG) on HL2Mapping.com...i would like to talk to you..or if anybody knows Oreo, can you please ask him/her to pm me on the site ta!

Comment

Edited by [user="354216"] @ [time="1126552995"]

Sp00neyG wrote..

yes..that is a very cool looking map..have just downloaded it, and it seems pretty damn cool

http://www.hl2mapping.com is a mapping site that is home to a lot of very talented mappers..head on over if you are interested in mapping

Oreo (if you are here) - can you please pm me (Sp00neyG) on HL2Mapping.com...i would like to talk to you..or if anybody knows Oreo, can you please ask him/her to pm me on the site ta!
                      Oreo and his brother Balefire (both mapping geniuses) can be found trolling the forums at www.gamehavoc.com feel free to come down and check out Balefire's new map as well, de_retaliate. Its currently in its first stage of beta testing on the gamehavoc servers.

Comment

Thank you for the advertisement of the map.

Nighthawk. I understand this very well and took this into consideration when making the map. Trust me the different paths are all closely woven and usually are directly on top of each other. They all lead the same way, towards the hostages. From the extensive play testing I've done, the map never takes longer than normal maps do. Also, it doesn't take much more learning than any other map despite the various paths through the city block. New players just follow their teammates until they learn enough to choose their own path.

If anyone has any need to reach me or even just make comments about the map, email me at JazzBassKing@Hotmail.com

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X