This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS: Source Graphics Mod

TheSnowman from the AnandTech forums has created a small modification for CS: Source that adds some custom bump mapping and specular highlighting to the game's player models.

Check out the thread, download the modification, or check out the preview screenshot. Check the readme in the zip file for installation instructions.

If you think your CS:S player models could use a bit more spice or just want to try to push your video card to it's limit try this addon.

These do look nice, but I play with specular and bumpmapping off, so no joy for me. They're good if you like the game to look really pretty like Scarlett Johansson. There are a few other reskins and recolors for the player models floating around. Maybe we oughtta start having CSS skins in SOTD.

Comment

Can someone please explain what bumpmapping is I have heard alot about it just dont know what it is. Also what is this mod all about.

Comment

Bump mapping is used to add detail to an image without increasing the number of polygons. Bump mapping relies on light-reflection calculations to create small bumps on the surface of the object in order to give it texture; the surface of the object is not changed.

Bumps are applied by matching up a series of grayscale pixels with colored pixels on the rendered, colored object. Lighter grayscale pixels create a sense of maximum relief or maximum indentation; darker pixels have less effect.

A computer must contain a supporting 3D graphics card when it runs an application that has been coded to include bump maps. If the graphics card does not support bump mapping, then the bumps won't be seen. In the case of computer games, the programmer usually will code an alternate version that doesn't use bump maps. This version will look flatter and less real.

In lamens terms...it makes 2d textures look 3d to an extent.

IE: A modeler doesnt have to model each little thread in a sweater...he adds a certain texture to the object that makes it look 3d...

Comment

BeaMeR wrote..

Can someone please explain what bumpmapping is I have heard alot about it just dont know what it is. Also what is this mod all about.
          Google is your friend

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/bumpmapping/

Comment

The full range of these effects are only for those with cards utilizing DiretX 9.0... Just as an FYI.

Comment

Wow that looks fantastic.

Comment

Edited by [user="134563"] @ [time="1097646701"]

Google is your friend
                Yeah but so is L0stAngel.

Comment

Only really notice the detail on the terroists head or dead bodies angled at the light right.

Comment

If you have specular on (and use DX 9.0) the CT's goggles are reflective.

Comment

i will punch every single bump map in the face

Comment

azz0r wrote..

Only really notice the detail on the terroists head or dead bodies angled at the light right.
                        The shiny goggles on the cts that HowlinMadMurphy mentioned is really the most noticeable part, but in the right light you should be able to see everything from scratches and shine on the kneepads to hair of the terrorists arms glistening in the light. I went for a subtle look instead of the really bumpy shiny stuff like in Far Cry, though the Source engine will do pretty much whatever effect you want.

Comment

Is there any chance you can make the terroists trousers heavily bump mapped on the camo just for me <3

Comment

I've had this for a few days. It's really not that much different for me, fps wise.

Comment

sweet !!

Comment

Working...
                              X